1Likes
  • 2 Post By NueoK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Robin's LTD 8 gallons

Hi,
just planted after two months of preparation my 8 gallons cube.
First day album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yhbyPkkPMgP6YDQ22

Basic info:
8 gallon (31 L) /almost cube / 30x30x35cm
15W LED / 1450lm Cool White
Hang-on filter
Heater (22 C will be set)
CO2 from soda and citric acid
Platinum soil (cheaper Amazonia Soil)+PMDD

Plants (planned):
Eleocharis parvula
Eleocharis acicularis (soon)
Limnophila sessiliflora
Cryptocoryne becketti
Ludwigia repens Rubin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
That L. sessiliflora is going to look awesome when it fills in. What are you planning to stock in here? Shrimp?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hope so. I have Limnophila in previous setup and it grows as hell.
Shrimps (Neocaridina probably) or some Microrasboras galaxy. Even they are quite expensive and flock of something even smaller would loke better. Will see.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some changes:
I got my missing Eleocharis acicularis at Friday. It was invitro grown - on gel base in plastic dose. What pissed me off that I ordered 5 classical baskets of E. parvula for cca 10 USD and their quality and final amount was poor, but this one invitro package of E. acicularis cost half of that and the quality and final amount is much better. I think its clearly visible from image.
I also decied to replace Cryptocoryne with Bacopa caroliniana (in right corner). Cryptocoryne would not look good in future layout.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, today is 19th day after establishment. Everything growed up, except Bacopa caroliniana and Eleocharis acicularis. E. accicularis looks good but hasnt started to grow, compared to E. parvula which looked horrible but its leafes started growing. Bacopa is growing very slowly. I already cropped Limnophilla.

But I had some algae in aqua. Its green and formates something like cotton wool. I googled and it could be Rhizoclonium or Cladophora or some Filamentous Algae. I added liquid carbon I have but not using since I have gas CO2.
Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/tFJ7u

Some possible advices?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Algae Grower

Looks like plants are growing nicely!

The algae looks like filamentous algae. I have the same in my tank as we speak! But they seem to siphon out easily. I been stirring the grass with a small siphon hose, and I see chunks fly in. But I think the best you can do right now is to keep up with manual removing. Dont let them over take your tank.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank for response. I am using toothbrush for removing, its pretty soft and soggy, hard to catch.
I changed my water today, after a week. Also I finally got my CO2 dropchecker from China so currently I'm waiting for color change.
And I also moved my HOB filter to the left side of the tank, the inlet is still hidden but the waterflow spreads the CO2 from the diffuser. Much better than previous setup.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Me again. The tank has already a month or so. Still have an algae, but this algae attacks only substrate surface, walls of the tank and dead leafs. So, no reason to panic.
I was adding the CO2 from citric acid+soda bottles for a month and it became very quickly a mistake. The filling lasts only a weak, so I already have made 4 fillings. Estimating one filling as something over a 1.7 $, multiplying with 56 weeks get me a huge amount of money - 95 bucks. That's one problem, the another one is that regulation on those cheap sets sucks. Its almost impossible to set stable count of bubbles. The regulation at these low amount of gas sucks and is oscillating about nothing and the right amount, depends on the pressure etc. So I often have set the right amount and later I find the diffuser doing nothing.
So I ordered profi solution - classical CO2 set with steel bottle 2 liters, regulation valve, needle valve, steel reverse valve (better than cheap plastic I got, it can leak) and EMF to turning off gas in nights. Well, it costed me something ( 160 $) but its build from quality Camozzi components. Also, the filling will be probably many times cheaper, the filling of this bottle should be around 4 bucks / per 3 months maybe.

And because of that, I will be also able to add some fish into tank. I wouldn't risk that with previous technique of CO2 enrichment.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, still doesn't have any fish. I am dependent on a local retail shop and what it offers. Currently, the candidates are Boraras brigitae, Microrasbora galaxy, Boraras maculatus, Hyphessobrycon amandae and the smallest Boraras urophthalmoides. The galaxy is probably out of choice - too shy and would suit better in larger tanks, Boraras brigitae is favourite, yet not at shop, Boraras urophthalmoides I had years ago, but is not visually atractive. No need to rush the choice and buying.

Algae is now controlled as I equipped pro CO2 set. Grow less for sure, the unstable CO2 was making a mess.

Bump: Well, I came to visit hobby market (Hornbach), they have aquarist equipment, plants and fish. I originally came to check the Boraras, but I left with brand new Eheim 2213. The price was pretty good, 63 USD after conversion, and it's the Plus version with complete sponges and double valves/taps. It was cheaper than maybe more proprietary 2211 which is without accessories. I was thinking about canister from the start, I have never had till today any. Before the byuing I spent some time googling and found some topics where its recommended even for such a small tanks like mine:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...nted-tank.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...10-gallon.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-...-5-gallon.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88...10-gallon.html
https://barrreport.com/threads/10-ga...ne-tank.14817/

I put my Seachem Matrix 250ml into the new filter and added a dose of Seachem Stability.
So guys, need to ask you. After the addition of used filtration medium, got I a newly started tank? And is it better to regulate the flow on the output or input taps?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just a small update. Technique is going well, as the grass Eleocharis in the front, but the back of tank is weaker and I am not satisfied with it. So, replanted the back of tank with:
Elechoaris vivipara
Rotala rotinfundila
Ludwigia repens (I got it as present with rest of package), maybe it is stupid idea to plant it, but throw it away

So I will see. Photo will be soon. I also ordered Tropica Premium Fertiliser. I am not into experimenting with PMDD, and I also think that it degrades pretty quickly.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, I got the Rhizoclonium. I was having issues with it since the beginning but it gets worse now.
I analyzed the possible reasons and maybe: only once a week maintenance, and not trimming so often (plants then stop grow and the ferts are not consumed by them). And yes, it is summer and sun is shining so excessive light can be also an issues.

I stopped CO2 and lights right now, I did maintenance yesterday and started dosing liquid Co2 aka Excel.
Tomorrow, I will change the water again and trim the plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode