Spec V with a Planted Plus 24/7 CC - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok, so this is "day 1" with a new light.

Tank was flooded in July? (Some month in summer, so the tank is still quite young and only just coming into it's own with mulm buildup and being truely stable)
(This is also my first nano tank, everything in my past being 16 gallons or larger, 29 being my largest way way long ago)

If anyone has seen my posts elsewhere here, you have seen this tank with a 13 watt cfl in a brooder lamp or a Chinese knockoff led fixture or a 27 watt cfl "happy lamp" lights of America deal.

This is my first time owning an actual light fixture geared towards a planted tank. Even years ago on my 20 longs, I had diy lighting.

Can't knock the 13 watt 6500k bulb too hard though - just trimmed the HM a few days ago and it's growing like mad still.

Let's see how this new light fares.

Edit:

Fluval Spec V
Eco Complete Substrate
Osmocote Plus in the substrate
EI ferts via seachem liquids including NPK, Iron and Trace
Pressurized CO2
NilocG drop checker
Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 CC

1 Male Betta
5 Chili Rasbora
1 Oto (shame on me)
1 Nerite Snail
Countless Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Pond Snails

HM
Ludwigia
Rotala
Moneywort

Edit 2 for spelling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15162840133281628836640_1516284056429.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	820562  

Name:	1516284080917903279942_1516284118293.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	820570  

Name:	15162841312812085783402_1516284153131.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	820578  

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kaldurak; 01-18-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love Finnex lights, had a Planted+ for a 10 gallon for two years now. Grew everything wonderfully in there. I'm sure you'll see great results with this upgrade. Good luck!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower

Really nice work! I bought 2 Finnex CC's for my 50gal a few weeks ago and really like it. The way the lights come on slow and turn of slow... I have notice the fish really like it and are more active at dawn/dusk. Again, great looking tank.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I love Finnex lights, had a Planted+ for a 10 gallon for two years now. Grew everything wonderfully in there. I'm sure you'll see great results with this upgrade. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo'stanks View Post
Really nice work! I bought 2 Finnex CC's for my 50gal a few weeks ago and really like it. The way the lights come on slow and turn of slow... I have notice the fish really like it and are more active at dawn/dusk. Again, great looking tank.
Thank you both for your kind comments!

I am very excited to see what the results are in person using a light with an actual spectrum geared towards plant growth! Only having experience with diy cfl lighting or sub par t5ho bulbs in the past....i am thrilled to see the growth I get now. I've never done poorly with plants, I have a very good outdoor green thumb and my indoor plants are amazing, bit I've never been able to achieve an *Amazing* planted tank in my aquarium history - just ok in my opinion.

And struggling with eco complete is another battle into and of itself. I've gained all the knowledge here about how to properly dirt a tank, but then "go with what I know" and slap eco in a tank and be slightly displeased with some of the results.

But I hear that If you can grow plants well in Eco, you can grow ANYTHING in a properly dirted tank.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I love the spectrum of the Planted Plus series lights. It really help to accentuate the colors of rocks, fauna and flora. You will enjoy it for sure. I just have the regular version with a dimmer switch but I'm loving it so far.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Anything from 6500k to 10k grows plants fine. The difference is more the way you see the tank. How strong is that light and what cycle are you running?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Anything from 6500k to 10k grows plants fine. The difference is more the way you see the tank. How strong is that light and what cycle are you running?
The specs for the CC are the same as the SE with the primary differences being you can customize the 24/7 schedule lighting parameters for RGB and White to whatever intensities you desire/require. Right now my custom schedule has the lighting intensities halved so I don't shock my plants too much after running a 13 watt cfl for so long.

I'm hoping that having true 660nm reds and proper blues will result in better growth than just a 6500k cfl with whatever random spectrum the factory produced.

I had moment of disbelief when I turned this thing to Max compared to my previous lighting and asked and looked around at what settings others keep their SE and CC fixtures at on tanks with similar heights.

My tank journal.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post
The specs for the CC are the same as the SE with the primary differences being you can customize the 24/7 schedule lighting parameters for RGB and White to whatever intensities you desire/require. Right now my custom schedule has the lighting intensities halved so I don't shock my plants too much after running a 13 watt cfl for so long.

I'm hoping that having true 660nm reds and proper blues will result in better growth than just a 6500k cfl with whatever random spectrum the factory produced.

I had moment of disbelief when I turned this thing to Max compared to my previous lighting and asked and looked around at what settings others keep their SE and CC fixtures at on tanks with similar heights.
If you don't have light thirsty plants no point in pushing it. If you do have plants that need stronger light just run the stronger intensity for a very short time (1 to 2 hours) otherwise algae could be tough to control.

Remember with great light, comes great responsibility!
ipkiss and ipkiss like this.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaldurak View Post

If you don't have light thirsty plants no point in pushing it. If you do have plants that need stronger light just run the stronger intensity for a very short time (1 to 2 hours) otherwise algae could be tough to control.

Remember with great light, comes great responsibility!
Yes! That's why I have this beast dialed way back in strength right now.

My tank journal.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quick question about your light cycle... I have been running mine on the standard 24/7 cycle, which I actually really love. I get a ton of blue light in the early morning which is pretty neat looking and the fact there is just enough light so wifey can see in the morning and doesn't have to turn on other lights is a plus.

I was wondering if you've had a chance to customize the darkness time or spectrum within the 24/7 mode?

I want to do total dark from 9pm - 6pm, but adjust the spectrum a little more to the red from 6pm - 9pm and from 6am - 9am, while going max during the day. Any experience / advice to getting the right mix of light? I understand how to make the adjustments, just curious about the spectrum of light. Hope that makes sense...
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Quick question about your light cycle... I have been running mine on the standard 24/7 cycle, which I actually really love. I get a ton of blue light in the early morning which is pretty neat looking and the fact there is just enough light so wifey can see in the morning and doesn't have to turn on other lights is a plus.

I was wondering if you've had a chance to customize the darkness time or spectrum within the 24/7 mode?

I want to do total dark from 9pm - 6pm, but adjust the spectrum a little more to the red from 6pm - 9pm and from 6am - 9am, while going max during the day. Any experience / advice to getting the right mix of light? I understand how to make the adjustments, just curious about the spectrum of light. Hope that makes sense...
You Can make the light balance adjustments you described with the CC version of the 24/7. The lighting schedule and intensity is fully customizable in each color from max to zero for each of the time "zones"

My tank journal.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, but there isn't much advice or documentation on the affect 2 up on red, 2 down on green = this spectrum profile.... Maybe I'm overthinking it

Also, we can not make adjustments by the hour, only the 3 hour window. My tank sits kinda high and is a center piece of the living room, so in the evening when watching tv the light are kinda distracting. I actually set the real-time 6pm for 9pm was able to alleviate it, but there are so many ways to make the 24/7 adjustments that I'm sure to come up with a great combo.

Appreciate your feedback and hope to hear more about your experience with the CC!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yes, but there isn't much advice or documentation on the affect 2 up on red, 2 down on green = this spectrum profile.... Maybe I'm overthinking it

Also, we can not make adjustments by the hour, only the 3 hour window. My tank sits kinda high and is a center piece of the living room, so in the evening when watching tv the light are kinda distracting. I actually set the real-time 6pm for 9pm was able to alleviate it, but there are so many ways to make the 24/7 adjustments that I'm sure to come up with a great combo.

Appreciate your feedback and hope to hear more about your experience with the CC!
Yep, the light is just too new. Heck, even finding detailed reviews about the SE functionality is difficult. Even on YouTube - reviews are basically just showing off the light in demo mode and talking about the mounting. Not much easily found talking about the light after months of use. I want to see results, not unboxing

With an unlimited budget I would have purchased something that had Bluetooth capability and an android/iPhone app what allows for visual aided mega customization with no question as to "what did I just set that to?"

There's just so many variables in tanks though. It's like, what settings are best at 12 inches and these plants and this substrate, oh and can this be your results after 6 months of testing with a control tank and 4 more identical ones with X variables.

Lol, it's just too much sometimes. I would happily do research studies like that instead of my job, but then, that wouldn't pay the bills.

My tank journal.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iaZnz9ALDiF8ZePI3

This is a test of posting actual photos. If anyone could let me know of a photo of a fish tank appears when clicked, it would be appreciated.

My tank journal.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added 25 red cherry shrimp to the tank on 1/21 ! Mix of males and females, juvies and adults. Hopefully the Betta leaves some of them alone, but my mother in law reported watching him eat two already :p

My hope is that put of the 25, enough learn some good hidey spots in the HM and manage to breed.

As to cost, this was a nice craigslist deal at $1 per, and it was 25$ in tip money. So I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

Some of the juvies were *really* tiny, so they've either hidden away in the plants or succumbed to the Betta or the chili rasboras.

Worst case scenario - all my fish got a healthy huntable snack. Best case - breeding shrimp with occasional losses to the Betta and Chilis.

I did see a few shrimp in the tank this morning, bit there is so much plant mass that it's impossible to get proper count. On some mornings I cannot even find all 5 Chilis unless I drop in food.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180121_180838_1516639282773.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	821570  

My tank journal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode