Bringing it back! 46gal bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Profound

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It feels good to be back! It's been over 3 years since I had to tear down my jungle tank. In that time, I got married, my amazing daughter was born, and just this past October, bought a house! Living the American dream baby!!

So, with a new home comes the inevitable space designation for a planted aquarium! I claimed a nice corner of the living room to bring this thing back to life. I had to black out a window (which the wifey wasn't too keen on), but it was a negligible one anyway.

Quick gear breakdown:

· 46gal bowfront glass tank
· Fluval 206 canister w/ inline co2 reactor
· Hydor Koralia 600 powerhead
· 24oz paintball co2 tank w/ Aquatek regulator
· Fluval Aquasky LED 24"
· 2x LED Flood lights @6500k/30w
· ADA Aquasoil Amazonian/ black flourite
· Mopani driftwood and zebra stone

Plants:

· Dwarf hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula)
· Dwarf baby tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides 'Cuba')
· Dwarf saggitaria (Sagittaria subulata)
· Water primrose (Ludwigia repens 'Rubin')
· Daonoi "little star" (Pogostemon helferi)
·Water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
Creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia Aurea)
· Peacock moss (Taxiphyllum sp.)

The tank is about 2 weeks into its cycling, and the water looks cloudy. I'm suspecting that's from the AS, I don't have any previous experience with it so I'm not sure. Probably leeching a lot of nutrients into the water column. The ammonia stays high, even after 50% wc, so I'm just waiting it out now. I put Phosguard (to remove silicates) and Purigen in the canister, and I used a bottle of SafeStart for the nitrifying bacteria (because I'm impatient). Ph has been pretty stable at a neutral 7.0. I put some ozmocote tabs under the stem plants last night before I planted everything. Temp is 74°F. I'm running the lights and co2 on a timer @8 hours/day from about 3pm-11pm. Once everything starts to take hold, I'll start dosing dry ferts from Greenleaf Aquarium.

That's it for now! I'm going to buy a 1600gph powerhead because I think I need more flow, and eventually I'll upgrade the filter for something with a bit more push.

I've got killifish eggs coming from Thailand in a couple weeks, I'm hoping they'll hatch well! I want to pair them with some Bosemani rainbows, chili rasboras, panda corys, amano and cherry shrimp, so it should be a vibrant and colorful scene when it's all done!

Please give me critiques and advice, I'm all about it, that's why I'm here. I value the input from my more experienced fellow aquarists in this forum. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180116_215531_1516215462502.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	820426  

Name:	20180116_215548_1516215486829.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	820434  

Name:	20180116_215601_1516215498164.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	820442  

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode