90 Gallon High Tech Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
90 Gallon High Tech Build

have been out of the planted tank hobby for a few years and was messing around with saltwater reef tanks. Iv decided to put the reef hobby to the side for a bit and take on a new challenge.

I have setup a 90 gallon rimless cube as the tank. It was one of my reef tanks and thought it would be perfect for a planted aquarium because of all the equipment and the tank dimensions itself.

My goal is to create a lush forest like environment. I am still unsure about fish. Thinking of either doing many smaller fish like tetras and German blue rams, apistogramma or doing Discus. I have always wanted to keep Discus so this is my first choice but I am still thinking through it would love some feedback on what others thing though.

The tank does have a sump so nothing will be in the main display. I was concerned about co2 loss and to help with that I will be using a reactor to insure the Co2 is dissolved before entering the tank.

I started the tank out by just doing a simple hardscape. The rocks and driftwood all came from my 220g aquarium. My main goal was to keep it simple. I decided to start the tank dry to get a good carpet of dwarf baby tears started. I started the baby tears from seed. I have never done this before and was honestly winging it because I couldnt find anything online about doing it.

What I did was filled the tank with water and added my frets to the water. the water was cloudy from the substrate and I knew it would be so after adding the fertz I drained the tank so that the water was just under the substrate. I then sprinkled the seed out of the packet on the substrate and covered the tank in plastic wrap. Lights on 24/7 for 3 days and we now have germination. I can tell the seeds did much better in areas where they wernt laying in water. The ones in water are just sprouting much slower. They have pushed out roots from the seeds but no leafs yet.

Next steps are to wait and see how the tears grow in. As soon as they look like they are rooted well I will fill the tank up and get the larger plants in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548_1516037611632.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	819682  

Name:	IMG_2551_1516037629256.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	819690  

Name:	IMG_2553_1516037651138.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	819698  

Name:	IMG_2556_1516037666251.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	819706  

Name:	IMG_2554_1516037682432.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	819714  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
That is cool. Following:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Algae Grower

Off to a good start.

Mike

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bplant View Post
...I decided to start the tank dry to get a good carpet of dwarf baby tears started. I started the baby tears from seed. I have never done this before and was honestly winging it because I couldnt find anything online about doing it..
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... I'm assuming you bought those seeds off ebay or the likes. They are not going to produce a nice carpet of dwarf baby tears for you because they are not, in fact, DBT's. The plants will start off small and look good only briefly before they stem out and get leafy. Since you've just started, I would go ahead and remove them, go to our member "for sale/trade" section and see if you can find someone who will sell you a mat of dwarf baby tears. Or, disregard, let the seeds go and see what you think of that plant. I cannot tell you what the plant is, but there's several youtube videos of people trying these seeds out of China and they are all bogus.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I was given them by my LFS. removing them would not be an easy task so ill see what happens. I am hopeful it will be fine. The person at the LFS I got them from has never steered me wrong. Ill be posting in this thread so we shall see!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but... I'm assuming you bought those seeds off ebay or the likes. They are not going to produce a nice carpet of dwarf baby tears for you because they are not, in fact, DBT's. The plants will start off small and look good only briefly before they stem out and get leafy. Since you've just started, I would go ahead and remove them, go to our member "for sale/trade" section and see if you can find someone who will sell you a mat of dwarf baby tears. Or, disregard, let the seeds go and see what you think of that plant. I cannot tell you what the plant is, but there's several youtube videos of people trying these seeds out of China and they are all bogus.
I did not believe the seeds were bogus so I purchased some myself.

I'm sad to report they are bogus. The plant in question won't even live underwater. I have been able to grow it with the roots in water but the leaves out of water.

They seem to be a general marsh type of plant but 100% is not Baby tears. It does have some purple flowers though. Maybe I should take a picture and post it on here.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Well the seeds I added are now filled in and look nice. I'm going to fill with water in a day or two and see what happens. Still worried they arnt baby tears based on what others have said but they do look like them so we shall see

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode