2Likes
  • 2 Post By rvales
  • 2 Post By rvales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
60 Gallon Cadlight Cube Build

I was given this 60 gallon cubethat needed some TLC. The aquarium is aCadlight 60 Cube. It’s features are rimless, Starphire glass on 3 sides, blacksilicone, polished edges, 1000g center overflow 1” intake and 1/2” return. Thelighting is Maxspect™ LED Lighting System G2-400-160w This was a reef set up.The cabinet was a little beat up, so I touched it up. I purchased the following:
  • SunSun Hw303B370GPH Pro Canister Filter Kit with 9-watt UV Sterilizer
  • Tunze USA3152.000 Automatic Top off Nano Osmolator for the auto top off
  • blackacrylic reservoir
  • Zebra DNALuxfer L6X Aluminum CO2 Tanks with CGA320 on/off Valve (5 LB, Brushed)
  • Aquarium CO2Regulator - Mini Stainless Steel Dual Gauge Display Bubble Counter & CheckValve w/ Solenoid 110V Fits Standard US Tanks - LP150 PSI - HP2000 PSI
  • Sera FloreActive CO2 Reactor 1000
  • Fluval CO2Indicator Kit
  • CobaltAquatics Neo-Therm Heater, 100 watt
  • MarineMagic Doser
  • PPS-Pro Fertilizer Package with 2 x 500mLFertilizer Dispensers
  • CaribSeaEco Complete Black Planted Aquarium Substrate
  • Driftwood
  • Rock.
I ordered the following plants and I am waiting for the arrival.

1, Anubias nana – Potted

2. Ludwigia, Broad - Bunch Plant
3. Amazon Sword Plant - Bare Root
4. Anubias Nana - Bare Root
5. Balansae Plant (Cryptocorynecrispatula) - Bare Root
6. Chainsword Narrow Leaf (Echinodorustenellus) - Potted
7. Chilensis 5 Pc (Sagittariaplatyphylla) - Bare Root
8. Undulata Cryptocoryne (Cryptocorynewendtii) - Potted
9. Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) -Bare Root
10. Ludwigia Broad Leaf (Ludwigia repens) - Bunch Plant
11. Micro Sword (Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae) - Potted
12. Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri) - Potted
13. Myrio Green (Myriophyllum pinnatum) - Bunch Plant
14. Ozelot Sword (Echinodorus ozelot) - Bare root
15. Red Rubin (Echinodorus rubin) - Bare Root
16. Rotala Indica - Bunch Plant
17. Temple Narrow Leaf (Hygrophila corymbosa) - Bunch Plant
18. Wisteria Potted - Bare Root
19. Madagascar Lace (Aponogeton madagascariensis) - Bulb
20. Ludwigia Peruensis - Bunch
21. Hygrophilia angustifolia – Bunch

I attached the Sun-Sun to the intake and return of the overflow and have everything set for the arrival of the plants. I will take pictures and try to log my progress as I proceed with the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1661.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	818730  

Name:	IMG_1664.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	818738  

Name:	IMG_1670.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	818746  

Name:	IMG_7583.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	818754  

Name:	IMG_7584.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	818762  

Boostr and Boostr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Planted Member

wow... that tank did need TLC! but its nice dimensions, I ordered a new one just recently, waiting for it to arrive, it will be fun to compare notes.. mine will be very lightly planted because I want to keep discus in it

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking of a community tank. Some of the fish I was thinking are Rams, Pencil fish, Tetras, Dwarf Gouramis, Cory cats and some guppies. The list may change I haven't really decided. I still have plenty of time.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvales View Post
I was thinking of a community tank. Some of the fish I was thinking are Rams, Pencil fish, Tetras, Dwarf Gouramis, Cory cats and some guppies. The list may change I haven't really decided. I still have plenty of time.
Those would be ideal for densely planted, none other than the Rams are too demanding, maybe some red cherry shrimp as well

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Last night my plants arrived. I aquascaped everything and arranged my plants. I was able to fill the tank, but low and behold I see water puddling up in the cabinet. The Sera FloreActive CO2 Reactor 1000 was leaking. After further examination I discovered the lid was cracked. I did not notice it because the crack looks like its part of the design of the reactor. This is the second one I had purchased. I had purchased the 500 model first, but that arrived broken. I returned it and tried to get a replacement, but they only had the 1000 Model. It's obvious to me that these are not made very well. I just ordered a different brand (ISTA Max Mix CO2 Reactor) hopefully this one will be better made. I will have to get a hose barb to get the filter going today. It's a little frustrating since I have to wait for it to arrive. I don't know of any LFS that carry these, so I am depending on delivery. I paid the extra for shipping, so I should have it Monday or Tuesday.The plants still look okay with the exception of the plants that floated up that need to be replanted. I will post picks later today.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfan View Post
Those would be ideal for densely planted, none other than the Rams are too demanding, maybe some red cherry shrimp as well
Those would be nice to have. I would have wait until my tank is well established first. I will do some research on those little guys and the fish I would like to keep for compatibility. I would not want them to be fish food.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is how the driftwood, rocks and plants looked with no water in the tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7590.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	819186  

Name:	IMG_7593.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	819194  

Name:	IMG_7599.jpg
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	819202  

Name:	IMG_7603.jpg
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	819210  

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the aquarium filled with water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7610.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	819458  

Name:	IMG_7611.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	819466  

Name:	IMG_7612.jpg
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	819474  

Name:	IMG_7613.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	819482  

Name:	IMG_7614.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	819490  

Name:	IMG_7615.jpg
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	819498  

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I downloaded the users manual for the Maxpect lighting. The lighting unit contains 3 sets of LEDs. I set the current time on the unit. Then I programmed each of the LED sets. The Blues turn on at 8:00am and turn off at 8:00pm. The whites Turn on at 9:00am and turn off at 7:00pm The Xuming chip LEDs are the brightest set of LEDs, so I have them turn on at 10:00am and turn off at 6:00pm. I discovered that the lighting also has a set of Moon light LEDs that turn on when all three sets turn off. The tank itself is virtually silent. So far I am happy how it is turning out. I should have the CO2 running by tomorrow when the CO2 reactor arrives. The hard acrylic tubing should arrive on Thursday. I need it, so I can connect the doser up to the Macro and Micro fertilizer bottles. I also have to get the reservoir with the auto top off in place. I am hoping by the weekend everything will be dialed in and automated.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Man, that's some nice renovating. I don't think I would have the confidence to even buy something like that to clean up.

A note on your reactor, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Ista doesn't feel that much better built. I've always had it INSIDE my tank because I feared a leak or something. I had a medium sized one I believe. On upgrading, I was tempted to go with the Sera because it 'looked' better built and larger, but now you've confirmed different.

If you're up for it, I recommend building your own cerges or griggs type. Sure, you gotta go through the trouble of figuring out the fittings that you need, but it'll be able to dissolve much more CO2. The size of a cerges would be limited to what water filters you can find, and the griggs would be ... well, any size you want your PVC to be. You'd actually have to resist building one that's too big! Also, if you value your silence, I suspect maybe a griggs might be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Man, that's some nice renovating. I don't think I would have the confidence to even buy something like that to clean up.

A note on your reactor, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the Ista doesn't feel that much better built. I've always had it INSIDE my tank because I feared a leak or something. I had a medium sized one I believe. On upgrading, I was tempted to go with the Sera because it 'looked' better built and larger, but now you've confirmed different.

If you're up for it, I recommend building your own cerges or griggs type. Sure, you gotta go through the trouble of figuring out the fittings that you need, but it'll be able to dissolve much more CO2. The size of a cerges would be limited to what water filters you can find, and the griggs would be ... well, any size you want your PVC to be. You'd actually have to resist building one that's too big! Also, if you value your silence, I suspect maybe a griggs might be better.

I received the CO2 reactor yesterday. It is a good size (I ordered the large size model.), but the walls seem very thin. The connection points are very small gauge, so I used the included plastic fittings for the 3/4" tubing I have on my Sun-Sun filter. I clamped everything together and it leaked. I took it all apart dried off the connection points and plastic fittings. I used PVC cleaner and PVC glue to attach the Plastic fittings to the connection points. I waiting about 15 minutes for everything to dry. I connected the tubing and started the Sun-Sun. I am happy to report that it works well. I noticed that the reactor was a little noisy. It rattles a bit, but I hear it less this morning than yesterday night. It may just be some burrs that need to work there way out. I turned on the CO2 and I watched the reactor as it beat those bubbles up. I think it works well. I watched my out take and I do not see any bubbles coming out. That is a great sign. I will attach my CO2 meter today. I need to check the amount of CO2 is in the water column. I also ordered another cobalt 100w heater, so I will have 2 100w heaters working to keep the water at a stable temperature. The tubing for the Marine Magine Triple Doser should arrive today. I will be working on that when the tubing arrives.

Last edited by rvales; 01-17-2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Spelling Error

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode