My 25 Gallon Planted Dirt Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 25 Gallon Planted Dirt Tank

I received this tank, stand, and light setup as a Christmas gift from my friend who had it in storage and was not using it. This is my second aquarium. I am re-homing my fish and plants from my current 20 gallon long to this setup.

Tank dimensions: 25 Gallon - 24" x 12" x 20" - Spray painted black background

Filter: Eheim 2215 (Classic 350)

Lighting: Zoo Med dual 24" T5 housing - (2) 10,000K Coralife bulbs

Heater: Eheim Jager 50W

Substrate: MiracleGro Organic soil capped with Black Diamond blasting sand

Hardscape: Driftwood from a creek (Boiled for 15 minutes), (2) lava rocks

Livestock: Various Danio & Tetra, Sterba Cory

Plants: Amazon Sword, Anubias Congensis, Crypt Lucens & Green Wendtii

* Do not mind the rock on top of the wood, only holding it down until the wood saturates *

I did the hardscape, planted, and added water on Monday (2 days ago). As of now, I am doing a fish-less cycle with my plants in the tank. When I added water, I was very careful not to disrupt the substrate. I poured water into a colander that had a plastic grocery bag over it, with minimal holes punched through the bag. The water was crystal clear up until yesterday.

Water parameters were okay to start. pH = 7.6, Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, Nitrates = 0.

I added 2.5 gallons of water out of my established 20. I then had the bright idea of trying to speed up my cycle by adding in a used filter from my HOB off the previously mentioned 20 into my canister filter. I put it between the white polishing pad, and the carbon pad.

Immediately after turning my canister filter back on, I got cloudy water. I kind of expected it. It wasn't that terrible. After a couple hours of the filter running, I decided to test my water again. Same results, except I noticed a slight bump in Nitrates. Making progress!

Until I woke up to this beautiful sight this morning...

Any ideas? I plan on removing that old bio filter from my canister filter when I get off of work. I am more than likely going to do a massive water change (probably over 50%) also.

I will continue to add to this journal as often as possible! Thanks in advance for reading and any help or insight along the way!

- Zach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 09:52 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like you off to great start. Tank looks good, cloudiness does not look unhealthy at the moment. I would not be in a hurry to remove the old media however. Perhaps just leave it there for good and top off your established filter with more media instead?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
Looks like you off to great start. Tank looks good, cloudiness does not look unhealthy at the moment. I would not be in a hurry to remove the old media however. Perhaps just leave it there for good and top off your established filter with more media instead?
Thanks! I suppose I could purchase another pad or two. I have some room left in the canister to add some in. I am just worried that I will disturb some of the dirt inside the filter and re-create the problem I am trying to fix, haha.

- Zach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just read up on Purigen. If nothing improves after my water change and letting the filter run for another day, I am just going to try that.

- Zach

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Unless the water is tinged brown, the cloudiness is likely a bacterial or algal bloom started by the soil curing. Purigen or activated carbon will help with other things, but don't expect it to be a miracle cure right off the bat. I second agrasyuk's comment of not disturbing the filter for a while. Soil tanks take the idea of an aquarium being an ecosystem to the extreme and the whole ecosystem needs a lot of time to establish and balance out.

Cheers,
Phil

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Unless the water is tinged brown, the cloudiness is likely a bacterial or algal bloom started by the soil curing. Purigen or activated carbon will help with other things, but don't expect it to be a miracle cure right off the bat. I second agrasyuk's comment of not disturbing the filter for a while. Soil tanks take the idea of an aquarium being an ecosystem to the extreme and the whole ecosystem needs a lot of time to establish and balance out.

Cheers,
Phil

Thank you for the guidance, Phil. I think I was just panicking. I do now believe that it is a positive bacterial bloom. I got home from work, turned the filter on, and let it run over night. I woke up this morning to a slightly less-cloudy tank.

I tested my water before leaving for work again, all levels were as before, except a slight spike in ammonia. It went from 0 ppm to .25 ppm. I am going to let it go and see if it takes care of itself for now.

- Zach

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yep, looks like bacteria to me, which is a good thing when a new tank's starting. Means it's cycling.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode