PTrader: (39/100%)
30c Shrimp Sanctuary...

Here's another 30c journal...

Equipment:

- Mr. Aqua 30c tank
- Toms Mini Canister
- Mr. Aqua Nano Co2 Diffuser
- Solara 55w pendant lamp
- Paintball DIY Co2 (getting replaced shortly with Fluval/paintball setup)

Substrate:

- Fluval Ebi Stratum

Hardscape:

- Petrified Wood
- (soon) Manzanita

Flora:

- Blyxa Japonica
- DHG Bellum
- Anubias Nana
- Anubias Nana Petite

Fauna:

- RCS
- Amano
- Black Moscow Guppies (maybe)

I'll be filling and planting the tank later today and I'll post pics when it happens. This tank was mostly an accident thanks to my supplier. I placed an order to sell a few things on the forum and when I asked about this tank he thought I wanted one so it came with everything else. I couldn't compete with MarineDepot pricing on the tank so I decided to keep it. The Solara light was a great deal on Craigslist at $40. Retails for $130 and even though it comes with a 55w 50/50 actinic bulb it will work for now until I can get a new regular bulb. The pole its on is height adjustable which is a really nice feature to dial in the light intensity. This is my first real jump into cube tanks and real aquascaping. I basically decided to just emulate a very common layout and see how it goes from there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Can't wait to see this thing progress.... looks good so far. I"m on the virge of starting my 30c GLA tank... waiting on some lily pipes although I might just have to run it with the stock spraybar, etc...

I'm trying to decide if I want to paint the back of it black or not (or use a black bbackground)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My tank journals
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Looks great. Awesome find with the light! CL is a great place for good deals.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by non_compliance View Post
I'm trying to decide if I want to paint the back of it black or not (or use a black bbackground)
Im asking myself the same question. I filled the tank and the water got ridiculously cloudy despite rinsing the Fluval Stratum for almost an hour. Also ran out and picked up an Aqueon Pro 50 heater. My current shrimp tank in the same room isn't heated and stays right around 62 but since Im thinking about fish in this tank as well I needed heat. Planted the Anubias and the Blyxa but of course 90% of the Blyxa floated on me. Plant and re-plant game begins... Come on roots! Afraid the Bellum will be a nightmare as well.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good!

Out of curiosity, how much of the Fluval Stratum did you use in the tank? I just picked up an Ebi, and am debating getting a second bag before I set it up.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9999 View Post
Looks good!

Out of curiosity, how much of the Fluval Stratum did you use in the tank? I just picked up an Ebi, and am debating getting a second bag before I set it up.
Thats one of the larger bags. I think they are 8.8lbs or something close to that.

Just spent almost an hour planting the Belem a few strands at a time with tweezers. New found respect for people doing this. It was my first time and maybe my last...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great thanks! In that case, I am definitely going to get another bag. I figured the included 4.4lb bag wasn't going to get me too far.

Looking forward to seeing how your tank progresses!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Initial cloudy planted pic....

I need to move the Blyxa around in the back and slide the Anubias down the rock gap. Planting a tank with the water so cloudy you can't see isn't the best idea. These plants have basically been in a bucket for the past week and I just wanted to get them in their new home with nutrients asap...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I like it so far.. you might consider one of those flat credit card sized heaters though... that one looks pretty huge in the back. Then again if it was a black background it might hide the heater better.

Also one of those tiny flat heaters may actually fit INSIDE the cannister.

With the blxya, I just skinned some of the bottom leaves off then planted it DEEP..

Also, when I fill, I use a coffee cup and a small plate... or a bowl and a plate... put the stream of water in that and let it run out that way.

My tank journals
&
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I can't use those small heaters. This room gets very cold so to keep the water temp in the 70s it can be as much as a 20 degree increase from ambient. That 50w is struggling to keep the water at 76. Looking into a hydor inline if I can get the hoses adapted to the right size. I'm not worried about the visuals of the heater right now. Just enjoying the fun of a nice 30c finally. Sold my 55g to pay for everything basically. Really happy so far.

Sent from my Tricorder using TapaTalk Pro
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Nice tank, and nice cat.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Nice tank, and nice cat.
My cat Yoshi finds his way into almost all my aquarium pics. He loves to linger around the tanks and help me out...
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Picked up the Fluval 88g Co2 kit today from my LFS. Went their to get a new Fluval Nano Thermometer for $1 and came out spending almost $100... lol. My birthday is Sunday so I treated myself to some goodies. Impressed with the regulator that comes with the kit. Very solid and so far consistent bubble count. Probably going to add a black background to the tank shortly. Should clean up the viewing image...

I just ordered 20 Yellow Shrimp from a member today. They'll go in this tank more than likely...
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Couldnt stop messing with this tank tonight. Wanted to add some Java Fern cause I have a ton of it lying around in a growout tank. Also needed a place to stick a clump of Fissidens that came out of a tank I broke down this weekend...

Also put an AZOO drop checker in there.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 03:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That little co2 setup is sweet. I wonder how long a cannister will last... how many BPS you running? I like the java fern....

My tank journals
&

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode