I decided to start a new journal. I have an old one but so much has changed since I originally posted it, that it's almost a completely different tank. If you want to see what it looked like back then, you can see it here
I always meant to update my old journal, but I never felt the tank looked good enough. I kept saying, maybe next week. Or I just want to get this plant to look a little better first. And as most of you know, it never looks good enough. But I think I finally realized, after reading a lot of other journals, that a journal is more to document an imperfect tank and the progression (or even digression) it goes through. It's more for the poster than others. But if someone else gets something positive from it, so be it. So here it is, with all of it's flaws, algae, struggling plants, and everything else. Its a mess, but it's my mess. And let's just hope it continues to get better.
Aqueon 36 Gallon bowfront
SunSun 304B 525GPH
Koralia Nano 425
Sun JVP-110 528 GPH
Black Diamond blasting sand
Finnex Planted + 24/7 30"
Beamswork DA Fspec 30"
Mounted at 19" about the substrate. My best guess is that this gives me somewhere around 80 PAR at sub. But I'm really not sure. Wish I had access to a PAR meter to know for sure. Have considered adding another light to supplement, either another small LED or a single T5HO. Holding off for now though.
For the most part I follow EI. I have been playing with it a lot lately though to try and find what works best. Most recently I switched away from using CSMB as a micro fert. I was having a lot of problems that I just couldn't figure out, pretty similar to what @burr740
and others on here have experienced. So I have started mixing my own based on @burr740
's base formula. It seems to have made things much better. I also do a 50%-60% water change weekly.
German Blue Ram ( used to have a pair)
Malaysian trumpet snails (by the 1000s - that was a mistake)
Assasin snails ( for the MTS)
A ghost shrimp or two that have survived
Hygrophila Pinnatifida (still trying to get established)
hemianthus callitrichoides (maybe it will survive)
Syngonanthus Belem (Almost melted completely but coming back slowly)
Ammania Senegalensis (One surviving struggling stem)
Ludwigia sp Red
Vallisneria spiralis 'Leopard'
alternanthera reineckii mini
I think that is all of them, but I definitely could have forgotten some of them. I probably have way too many plants for this small space.
I still struggle with a lot of things in this tank. I almost always have GSA on the glass, rocks, and plants, which eventually changes to BBA. I also recently got an infestation of green hair algae. It attaches on lower parts of a lot of plants that are struggling, and it's practically covering my Fissidens Fontanus. I hate it and I've really had a hard time figuring out how to get rid of it.
Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.