Plans for My First Tank, an ADA 60P - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plans for My First Tank, an ADA 60P

Hello everyone! I'd like to get some advice on setting up my first tank. Everyone has already been very helpful over in the introductions forum (thanks guys). I'm coming over here for some critique on the plans I have for my first tank, a 60P.

My plans are to do a basic high tech planted aquarium. I originally wanted to try a Iwagumi style aquascape, but decided it wouldn't allow me to plant as densely and diversely as would be best for my first tank. I have no experience with aquariums at all, but have been doing a lot of research on the hobby. I'm currently reading Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad. While I plan to do a high tech tank, the information in the book is still informative and useful.

So currently the only things set in stone are the tank, substrate, and hardscape. I'll list them below, as well as plans for some of the rest of the parts. Most of the choices I made were made based of past threads on this site.

Have:

Tank: ADA 60P with ADA Garden Mat.
Stand: Having one made similar to the one ADA sells.
Substrate: ADA Powersand Special S, Aquasoil Amazonia (Normal 9L, plus Powder Type 3L to top it off).
Hardscape: Ohko stone and two small pieces of driftwood.
Odds and ends: A light timer, API water conditioner and Master Test Kit, tool set. KH/GH kit. Syphon pump. Drop checker, bubble counter.
Co2: Victor VTS253A Regulator, DiyRegulators build kit, 5lb tank.
Light: Finnex Ray2 Aquarium LED Daylight.
Filter: Eheim Classic External Canister Filter 2215.

Ok, so now for some questions.

1. Number one thing I'm unsure about is the regulator. I've done a little research on this. Consensus seems to be that building one is the best route. However, I'm not really interested in building one myself, hence the Co2Art. That said, the price on the Co2Art with shipping brings me fairly close to the cost of building a pretty nice regulator. Does anyone know of someone that builds regs and sells them? And what the cost range would be?

2. Thoughts on whether or not one Finnex Ray2 will be enough for high light plants, such as carpeting HC?

3. Does the Eheim come with filter media? If so, will it work for my purposes, or worth upgrading?

4. Last thing. ADA Lily Pipes. Are they really that expensive? On AFA (where I bought my 60p), they run for a total of around $210 for both the inflow and outflow. If that's the case... Recommendations on generic ones that have an outflow similar to the "Lily Pipe P"?

I guess I'll stop there. Sorry for the massive amount of info. And thank you for anyone that takes the time to read through all of that and help me. XD

I'm open to all suggestions and input, and I'm not set on anything I haven't yet purchased. Thanks again!

Last edited by JosiahB; 01-09-2018 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Easy to build. If you can set up a tank you can build a reg. Why pay someone to do it and probably almost double the price? It's literally just screwing some parts together once you know what you need which is also pretty easy to figure out.

1. Grab a dual stage regulator on ebay for less than $100. Grab a build kit, CGA-320 Nut & 2.5" Nipple, and anything else you need from diyco2regulator.com, slap it all together for around $200 and you have a regulator that's probably better for less $$$ than you'd get from GLA or CO2Art.

2. Not sure. I have the Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus and it's pretty darn bright but no numbers to support whether it's medium or high light. I also have an sbreef FW light that is capable of going beyond high light on my tank which is only 12" tall...but will be more than enough even for the tank it's intended for that's 18" tall. It's an ugly light though and I'll be hanging it on my new tank when the time comes...so it won't be quite as obnoxious looking.

3. Yes. Yes.

4. Yes...they are stupid. Anything ADA is overpriced and there's plenty of less expensive options that are 90%+ as nice. Check out aliexpress or wish or ebay for direct from china pipes...fraction of the cost and quality that's plenty good enough. For just a little more...I was able to get a 60P style tank that's 4" taller and 6" deeper and 32g and low iron high clarity glass. Is it 100% as nice as an ADA? Maybe not...but for my money, 95% is good enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nubster; 01-04-2018 at 05:29 PM. Reason: &*%&*(&
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Easy to build. If you can set up a tank you can build a reg. Why pay someone to do it and probably almost double the price? It's literally just screwing some parts together once you know what you need which is also pretty easy to figure out.

1. Grab a dual stage regulator on ebay for less than $100. Grab a build kit, CGA-320 Nut & 2.5" Nipple, and anything else you need from diyco2regulator.com, slap it all together for around $200 and you have a regulator that's probably better for less $$$ than you'd get from GLA or CO2Art.

2. Not sure. I have the Finnex 24/7 Planted Plus and it's pretty darn bright but no numbers to support whether it's medium or high light. I also have an sbreef FW light that is capable of going beyond high light on my tank which is only 12" tall...but will be more than enough even for the tank it's intended for that's 18" tall. It's an ugly light though and I'll be hanging it on my new tank when the time comes...so it won't be quite as obnoxious looking.

3. Yes. Yes.

4. Yes...they are stupid. Anything ADA is overpriced and there's plenty of less expensive options that are 90%+ as nice. Check out aliexpress or wish or ebay for direct from china pipes...fraction of the cost and quality that's plenty good enough. For just a little more...I was able to get a 60P style tank that's 4" taller and 6" deeper and 32g and low iron high clarity glass. Is it 100% as nice as an ADA? Maybe not...but for my money, 95% is good enough.
Haha, alright. I'll be building the regulator then. For for build kit, this should work, right?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's it. And you'll need a post kit too most likely...but you might get lucky and find a regulator that already has the correct connection. But since many/most of the nicer reg. are used on things other than tanks like we use...the post and nut will probably be different.

CO2 Regulator Parts | CO2 For Planted Tanks And Home Brewing. brass cga-320 nut and nipple for co2 regulator

Bump: Also...this is the regulator that I got. If you offer him $70 he should accept the offer. Or offer lower and see what the counter is...most likely $70. When I got mine...it's clearly a serious piece of equipment and pretty much brand spanking new. The listing says used but I think they are just NOS pieces and never actually been used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MATHESON-3121-350-GAS-REGULATOR-/352187825067?hash=item520007bbab

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
That's it. And you'll need a post kit too most likely...but you might get lucky and find a regulator that already has the correct connection. But since many/most of the nicer reg. are used on things other than tanks like we use...the post and nut will probably be different.

CO2 Regulator Parts | CO2 For Planted Tanks And Home Brewing. brass cga-320 nut and nipple for co2 regulator

Bump: Also...this is the regulator that I got. If you offer him $70 he should accept the offer. Or offer lower and see what the counter is...most likely $70. When I got mine...it's clearly a serious piece of equipment and pretty much brand spanking new. The listing says used but I think they are just NOS pieces and never actually been used.
Decided on a Victor VTS253A. It was a little more pricey, but I've seen it recommended as a good make.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Complete overkill but if it gives you peace of mind. Matheson is also very highly regarded just FYI and way cheaper.

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Complete overkill but if it gives you peace of mind. Matheson is also very highly regarded just FYI and way cheaper.
I've seen Matheson mentioned a lot, yes. Victor was just the first I ended up searching. Still will end up being cheaper than what I was planning on getting. So in the future, if I get another tank, would it be possible to get something to split the flow of Co2 and run two tanks of this regulator?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yup...you can get a manifold or piece together some fittings that will allow that. You'll have to add another needle valve as well. Here is one to show an example...

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright guys, still waiting on some stuff, and I won't have the stand made for at least a week. I decided to make a "sandbox" that I filled with some random gravel. I've been playing around some with the hardscape I have. I'm pretty bad at taking photos, and these are from my phone, so sorry in advance.

Remember, my substrate will be Aquasoil (won't look anything like that gravel, lol). Ignore the wire, it's holding the one piece of driftwood up temporarily.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180108_174152.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	817802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180108_182722.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	817810  

Last edited by JosiahB; 01-09-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixed pictures.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Regarding lily pipes, Viv pipes are comparable to ADA at one third the cost. I have both and any difference is negligible.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
Regarding lily pipes, Viv pipes are comparable to ADA at one third the cost. I have both and any difference is negligible.
Wow, those look nice. And the price I see them for on Amazon actually makes them less then 1/4 the price of the ADA ones.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
hardly off amazon makes great pipes too for around 20$ to 30$. i like my stainless steel pipes too. 50$ off amazon.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 05:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you are a diehard ADA fan, then go with their aquariums, but in the future, if you would consider other options, check out UNS. I just bought one in 2017, and I really like them. They have miter edges. I ordered mine from Buceplant. I have a 21 gallon long 90L. Mine was only $195.50 with a coupon.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnalp View Post
hardly off amazon makes great pipes too for around 20$ to 30$. i like my stainless steel pipes too. 50$ off amazon.
I did see those ones actually. Probably would have already bought them had they been in stock. Currently they're still out of stock for the size I need (13mm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshism View Post
If you are a diehard ADA fan, then go with their aquariums, but in the future, if you would consider other options, check out UNS. I just bought one in 2017, and I really like them. They have miter edges. I ordered mine from Buceplant. I have a 21 gallon long 90L. Mine was only $195.50 with a coupon.
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4494/37735030492_443ea4f8cd_k.jpg[img]
[img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4456/37735030752_41347b558a_k.jpg[img]
Wow. Those are pretty, to say the least... I'm not set on ADA, no. If I get another tank, it probably won't be ADA.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice tank. I recently also bought a ADA 60p and Eheim filter. I debated between the ADA lily pipes vs. others and decided to go with another brand, JARDLI, which can be found on Amazon. I bought it as a set, inflow and outflow for about $44 combined. Quality is pretty good. Good luck with everything

(Retired)

(Retired)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode