PlantStudent's 60gal rimless - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PlantStudent's 60gal rimless

Hi Everyone!!

So I feel it is a necessary to provide a little bit of backstory to help you folks kind of understand where I'm at.

I have 20 years of dealing with tanks of all shapes and sizes under my belt. A few years ago my reef tanks were growing into an overwhelming obsession. I was propagating coral in a room in the basement and i had another section of the garage completely filled with quarantine tanks and refugiums along with automated systems to do water changes. It was an extremely expensive and time consuming hobby. I loved it.

Two kids later and a growing construction business left me with no time to devote to the hobby that I loved (not to mention cash flow) and my tanks started to suffer. I made the decision to break it all down and focus on the the more important things in life.

I miss it though. Not necessarily the ever increasing obsession with water quality and lighting, but the feeling of awe at the tiny piece of nature I was able to bottle.

I stumbled across a few pictures of award winning planted tanks a few years ago and I was mesmerized. I went out to the my local fish super store and purchased the main pieces of what I wanted to try to accomplish. Shortly later we decided to remodel the kitchen and because the tank is located in the adjoining room I decided to wait on final setup until the remodel was completed.

In the mean time I did a ton of reading and bought a lot of the supplies I thought I'd need to make a really nice setup.

Work got crazy busy and this tank along with the supplies have been gathering dust ever since. (actually two years ) Now with winter howling outside, I've decided that enough is enough and I am going to set this thing up in the coming weeks.

I have tons of patience. I don't rush. Experience tells me that haste makes waste, so I am willing to take my time and get this right the first time.

All that being said, I was going through my equipment today and it dawned on me that not only do I not remember what some pieces are for, I don't even remember buying them!!

Here is a list of what I have so far. I would love any input on pieces I am missing, or some recommended reading to get me up to speed.

My tank is a 60 gallon cube rimless.

24" tall x 24" deep x 24" wide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180104_093417.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	816338  

Last edited by PlantStudent; 01-04-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Testing Equipment

Test Kits so far

My light

Some neat hand tools
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180104_093043.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	816346  

Name:	20180104_093020.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	816354  

Name:	20180104_093127.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	816402  

Name:	20180104_092948.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	816410  

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........

Last edited by PlantStudent; 01-04-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: cuz
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm pretty excited for this build. Those with plenty of patience and dedication to accuracy have the best types of builds. I myself am a tad impulsive and make mistakes and waste as you say.

So what style are you going for with this tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Good morning and welcome to the crazy world of planted tanks. Your pictures above give a good idea of what you have so far (tank, light, test supplies, tools). It looks like you might also have some type of gas regulator - assume this might be for compressed CO2?
Some additional information that would be helpful would;
What are your goals for this tank? I.E. are you looking to go High Tech with lots of colorful stem plants, CO2 injection, and strong lighting? Or are you looking to go with easier plants, reasonable light levels, and less maintenance?
Have you picked out a substraight yet? Looks like there is something in the tank but hard to tell what. This actually has less importance than lighting / CO2.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

CO2 and regulator

The regulator is huge!! I am wondering if I made the right choice?

Bump: Micro Nutrients....

I read some great articles on this a while back. Whoever wrote the articles made it simple to understand and had dosing regiments clearly outlined. I had a bunch of bookmarks saved on my old laptop for all this stuff, but that computer is now dead and gone.

Could someone point me in the right direction to refresh myself on this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180104_093354.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	816418  

Name:	20180104_102631.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	816426  

Name:	20180104_092921.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	816434  

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Where's your Potassium Nitrate. Not sure you'll need that bag of Mg.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went back through and actually found my old user name and a build thread I started way back when.

I am hoping for a type of semi realistic canyon scene. I am heading out today to sift through a pallet of petrified wood to find some more pieces. Hoping to come back with some cool stuff.

The original thread is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Where's your Potassium Nitrate. Not sure you'll need that bag of Mg.
I double checked my stockpile and there is none. I will have to try to find the original articles I referenced and see if I just never got everything I needed, or if they recommended something else.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Have you decided on a filter? C02 setup? You will need a canister if you plan to use a reactor.
Sorry... I don't know how I missed all that.

Twin high tech 75's -

Last edited by The Dude1; 01-04-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Have you decided on a filter? C02 setup? You will need a canister if you plan to use a reactor.
This is my first canister filter believe it or not. I am thinking I can utilize this as a reactor in some way.

I have some more research to do though, and am more than happy to hear suggestions.

Also, I am wondering if an inline heater is a good idea or not. I would like to eliminate as much equipment out of the tank itself as possible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180104_093115.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	816450  

Name:	20180104_093000.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	816458  

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's a real balancing act. You dont want the flow from the filter to be too high or the C02 won't have time to disperse.. and you'll get bubbles and noise... of course the reactor and an inline heater will greatly limit flow... I use both a canister and HOB on my C02 injected tanks. Do you kno2 the gph of that canister?
You can't go wrong with a Victor regulator.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Some filters work well doubling as a reactor, others not so well. As mentioned above the amount of CO2 you're sending through the filter will be the determining factor on how well it works.

I have an inline Hydor heater and it works really well. I do have it connected to an Inkbird controller as I'm not sure I can trust any heater not to eventually fail in the on position.
hbosman and hbosman like this.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The canister filter I have is this one.

I feel like it should do the job as my bio-load should be very low. We'll see though and I can adjust as needed.

As far as the CO2 goes, I am wondering if a 360gph pump on this unit would be powerful enough to allow me "T" off of the return line and make a little CO2 reactor separate from the main return. Maybe I could tweek it a little more accurately that way. Anyone else doing something like that?

I feel like I was on the track of a reactor before when I started to set this all up. I have these pieces below that I have in along with all the other CO2 stuff I gathered up. Anyone recognize any of these items. I will start in on my research tonight trying to track this stuff down and try to job my memory.

I'm telling ya getting older sucks.....I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night!!

Also.....why are all my pictures sideways?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180104_093818.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	816506  

Name:	20180104_093822.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	816514  

Name:	20180104_093828.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	816522  

Last edited by PlantStudent; 01-04-2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: I can't spell...
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Algae Grower

Those look to be part of a Co2 Regulator, not a reactor.
the first box is a solenoid valve.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

got it. I seem to recall this was going to be for a better fine tuning of the CO2 injection. I also have a bubble counter.

Should I get a drop checker, or are they unnecessary?

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:28 PM
Captain

Don't really recognize the large Victor regulator as one that is typically used for planted tanks - maybe somebody else might have some input on that.
Your CO2 tank already has the correct brass coupling to connect the tank to the regulator.
The Clippard solenoid in the plastic box should have a separate power supply which typically gets plugged into a timer -this turns on/off you CO2 supply.
The Clippard solenoid mounts to the Manifold which connects to the output side of the Regulator.
After the solenoid, you will need a metering valve to precisely adjust how much CO2 is going into your tank. The bubble counter greatly helps in getting your adjustment correct.

Normally the full flow (and pressure) from the canister filter is run thru a CO2 reactor which is used to mix/dissolve the CO2 into the water. Other CO2 delivery options include some type of atomizer which is either placed into the tank or inline with the canister filter.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode