The Dudes 150 is getting planted. - The Planted Tank Forum
 445Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The Dudes 150 is getting planted.

I've had this running for a couple years. It is all male Haps and Peacocks. There is also a breeding albino BN pleco pair, 1 Syno Euruptus, 5 - 6 Syno multipunctatus, and 10 Synodontis lucipinnis. I'm losing interest in it and I want it to be full planted and pressurized C02. I have all the equipment. Just have to plumb in the reactor.

The cichlids have systematically killed everything. A couple anubias and some unkillable crypts have held on.
I want to start with something I have always wanted to do... planted HOB's. I have an AC70, AC110 and an XP3.

I plan to follow this AWESOME thread.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...-cleaning.html
I've got some vesicularia moss coming and I was thinking over using that on the spillway. To start I was thinking about some anubias nana on the sponge.
Obviously my lights are on top of the tank, so... I need to add lights for the HOB's. I could do a cheap T8 fixture on the top of the canopy or I could do a single 23w CFL over each HOB. I like this canopy so I want to do this with a minimum of modifications to it. I was thinking of just hanging a CFL over each... I'd love any ideas
The last time I used the cheap dual T8's over a tank they didn't do well...
Greggz, Greggz, lisals and 2 others like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
The phish are too small to pan fry!
Greggz, Greggz, The Dude1 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This ought a be fun! Are you moving the Bows over to it?

Subscribed.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

------------------

post #4 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
The Dudes 150 is getting planted.

Looking forward to seeing this transition. Dude, I hope youíve got some buddies or a pulley system to move those bad boys! Otherwise I feel for you back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAOK Club #24
post #5 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yep Rainbows and probably Nigerian Reds will go in here. Going to remove all the rocks and do driftwood. It's going to be rough. Some of those stones weigh close to 100lbs.
Greggz, Greggz, johnson18 and 1 others like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #6 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So... I'm super tempted to do Congo Tetras again. I was thinking a group.of 12 - 15 Congo Tetras, 2 pair of Nigerian Reds, 1 pair Thomasi... and perhaps a large school of Neons?? I know Neons aren't Africans but I don't know any that are.
Or move all the Rainbows and add to the group. They again will have to share with at least a pair of Nigerian Reds... and then Cardinals, Neons, or maybe Celebes? I could then do 7-8 Congo's in the top 75 with a pair of Nigerian Red Kribensis and a pair of Thomasi and maybe 50 Rummynose?
This tank has to be the nicest tank in the house... nicest fish... my wife isn't crazy about doing it so it's got to be breathtaking. I'm even considering keeping the syno dwarf lucipinnis maybe??
Please help me out guys. Might go by the local place tomorrow and rehome them. He sells them.at this size.for like $50 - $60 each.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #7 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So I'm bouncing around. I don't want Congo's since they get so large. I want lamp eye Congo's, but not at $25 a piece plus shipping. I'm thinking I want 50-75 small schooling tetras. I want to keep the synodontis, but I may have to rehome the euruptus. I definately want one or 2 pairs of Nigerian Reds and the Thomasi... so I'm thinking of Lemon Tetras. I can get them for $1 each and they are wider bodied than the Neons, Cardinals, and Rummynose which I'm afraid the synodontis would snack on.
I'd like to keep it all African... but the combination of size, color, and cost are not available as I can see.
I thought Emporers, but I have them with the Rainbows and I don't want to try and catch them and move them. I thought move Rainbows, but I want something new to be honest and I really like how that 75 works and looks. I'm still mulling it over.
For now I need to rehome the cichlids. I also need to replace the Eheim 2213 on the 11.4 with an AC50 to make room for the C02 tank under there. I need some tremendous plant mass so I'll work on growing that out. I also don't want to move my original pair of Kribs so I need to raise some fry.
I'll try to get all this done in the next few weeks and get the C02 going.
I'm thinking alot of anubias, moss, and java ferns along with some bolbitus. I will probably stay away from stems. Maybe some patches of Marsilia Hirsuta.
If anyone local would like to take all of the Haps and Peacocks they are free.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #8 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cichlids and hardscape will be removed tomorrow. I'm also going to remove a good portion of the substrate and use plain pool filter sand. I don't need any higher pH. Wood has been soaking for a week so we will see what happens

Twin high tech 75's -
post #9 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Cichlids are gone.

Unfortunately NONE of the wood is waterlogged yet. It's been soaking for 2 weeks. The large rooted portion is being held down by a piece that was in there previously. The rest of the wood is long twisted thicker branches that will look like roots coming out and then back into the substrate towards the right which will stay open.
I don't have the plant mass that I need either. I'd like one of the roots to be covered in windolev then into some Christmas moss. Probably some of the anubias azfelli along some wood branches in the back.
No stems in this tank either. Just ferns, mosses, anubias, maybe a hygro kompacta bunch.
I got the rest of the fittings for the reactor. Just need to get a filled bottle.
Lastly the LFS that I gave my Africans to gave me 25-30 Pristilla tetras and they ordered me 25 Lemons that will be here next week.
As of right now I'm going to aim for 30 Pristilla tetras and 30 Lemon tetras and see how it looks. I've also got 10 Syno lucipinnis, 5 Syno multipunctatus, and 1 Syno Euruptus. The Euruptus may eventually get big enough to eat some smaller tetras, but I'm going to wait and see what happens. I really like their look.
Suggestions or thoughts? Don't mind the floating anubias... I don't have a place to put it

Twin high tech 75's -
post #10 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The anubias is tied on and the windolev was tied into bunches. The anubias looks really ratty.. leaves and rhizomes growing every which way. Hopefully it straightens out. The synodontis were a pain knocking out the windolev bunches. Dosing 10ml of metricide daily until I hook up the tank.
Greggz, Greggz, johnson18 and 8 others like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #11 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking good so far!
post #12 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So today was my first day with a few free hours... and I did not hook up the reactor nor did I get a C02 cylinder. I'm not sure if they are open tomorrow. If they are I will get it hooked up tomorrow. I made up a quick batch of DIY C02, but it's probably pointless. It makes me feel better. I'm also still dosing 10ml of metricide daily.
I was expecting to pick up 25 Lemon Tetras on Wednesday and another 20 today... none of them came in... so hopefully next week.
The hygro seems to be happy, but the windolev does not. I need to get the C02 on there.
I also tossed in a couple more branches. I like the look. I'm hoping another larger piece sinks spon.so I can have a piece of driftwood covered in a clump of bucephelandra. I'm not going to drop the buces in there until the C02 is on there though.
chayos00, chayos00, lisals and 4 others like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #13 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:35 AM
Algae Grower

Good looking scape! A tank that size, with that much free space, is begging for more than tetras. The "cave" needs an inhabitant(s), maybe some type of pleco or a few clowns.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #14 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjonesls1 View Post
Good looking scape! A tank that size, with that much free space, is begging for more than tetras. The "cave" needs an inhabitant(s), maybe some type of pleco or a few clowns.
They only come out under the dim evening lights, but there is a breeding pair of albino BN plecos, a 4" syno Euruptus, 10 Syno lucipinnis, and 4 or 5 Syno multipunctatus.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #15 of 322 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I've been dragging my feet with some Physics studying so I told myself if I finished the homework today (due Wed) and finished the quiz with 100% that I would drive to the big LFS in Tampa and treat myself. So I did. It was nuts... had to park in the alley... had to have been 20 cars.... and the selection was mind blowing.. brilliant rasbora, emerald eye rasbora, tetras of every type and several I had never heard of.. literally EVERYTHING. So I found my lemon tetras and was waiting for someone to become available... but the next tank over just kept catching my eye.. it was black phantom tetras... then there was blue king tetras... there were several others but I wanted both of these over the lemon tetras... in the end I thought the black phantoms were just too cool.. so I bought 15 and they are getting another 25 for me next week. They have a fantastic contrast to the Pristilla tetras... but now I'm wishing I did blue king tetras and black phantoms only... so what do you guys think about 30 to 40 of each?? 3 groups of tetras in a 150??
I'm going to pick up the C02 tank this week. Finished putting together the reactor and just have to actually plumb it in and position everything. I figured I'd do it all at once to make sure there are no issues.
The reactor will not fit inside the cabinet so I'm attaching it to the center brace on the back of the stand. Should work fine.
chayos00, chayos00, mbkemp and 1 others like this.

Twin high tech 75's -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode