My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 43 - The Planted Tank Forum
 427Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #631 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Got in the new sponge filter and air pump.

Decided to go with this sponge filter I saw on amazon. A bit more expensive than a regular one, but thought maybe it would be better w/ the bio balls along with the sponges.
Also picked the one that came with all the little accessories

Air pump is the tetra whisper. Great pumps that are actually quiet IF you put something soft under them. The one I have on my 40 has a wash cloth underneath it.
I had to tape the air lines to the stand b/c where I put the filter kept making the air lines rest against the outlet. So dangerous if there was ever a leak.

I had to gently push some swords around, but thankfully the cap is thick enough that it didn't release anything other than a few stray pieces of the soil.

It's pretty glaringly there in the tank right now, but when the swords get bigger, you shouldn't be able to see it.
I don't understand how sponge filters work. It looks like the air is only going in and coming right back out the top lol. but whatever. If it works it works.. I don't have to completely understand it lol

I also added more pebbles to the corner of the tank where the bamboo is so the leaves won't be in the water once I can raise the water level. Looks like a dang mess, but again, once the swords grow in more, shouldn't be able to notice it from the front.
The bamboo is happy though. Already has new roots.

And yep.... now I wait for the sponge to cycle.
Think it's going to be about another month before I can remove the HOB and put the top on the tank. Oh well... no rush

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

SO I got a surprise yesterday!
Turned the light back on the 20 tall to try to get some photos and that's when I saw this

A baby!!! Already!! I feel so bad though b/c I wasn't expecting to have babies pop up this soon so I haven't exactly been safe during water changes. I really hope I haven't accidentally sucked any up

But look at it! It's so cute and big! So stinkin happy

It made an appearance in one of the photos I took and I didn't even notice it.

Anyway... just super excited. I know breeding livebearers is like breathing air.. it's just gonna happen lol, but it's still exciting

More pics of my little swimming butterflies in the 20 tall

The plants in the tank are growing pretty well I think. I really think that flourish advanced stuff helped tremendously.
I've been taking off some of the heavily algae covered sword leaves here and there, but mostly leaving them b/c I've see the fish pecking at the algae.

Even the little water wisteria (that's def what it is), the sad little stem that I got out of my jar is growing well.

The dwarf sag is doing great though. Must've deleted the pic by accident, but in the front, one sent a runner down to where the soil is and right up against the glass where it gets a lot of light from the window lol.

My lace plant keeps only wanting to have 2 leaves at a time for some reason though, but oh well. Hopefully it will start growing more. It still looks pretty empty and I know the algae would bother some. I don't exactly like the algae, but guess it's good to have b/c of baby fish being able to eat it.

40g... I once again took out most of the sweet potato vine b/c of bugs. Spider mites along with some other type of aphid. Just all over the place. I left a couple of vines, but thinking about taking those out too.

It's leaving that part of the tank open to the light now though so I put some water wisteria trimming on that side of the tank. Overall.. still super messy

The tiger lotuses in the tank are doing well though and SO pretty

photobomb

20 long is doing good too. Haven't spotted any babies in this tank, but the females are pretty fat and I've seen this little red guy bothering them

But you can see how much the swords have grown in. Will give plenty of cover for babies born in there

And finally some photos from the 125.
Big tiger lotus before some maintenance on it

And after. ( removed the dying leaf after I took the photo)

Top view of some of the leaves

Crypt jungle

Top view of the java fern that I had forgotten about but seems to be doing great

I knew the wisteria would love the tank since I had some in here before, but it's still impressive how much this one has grown
doug105! and Desert Pupfish like this.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #633 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I did spot another baby guppy in the 20 tall last night, but pretty sure it got eaten. I'm sure that's what happened to any other ones that had been born.
Decided to pull out some java moss from the 125 and stuck in in to the tank. Hopefully it will give enough protection to any other babies born.
I've since moved it over to the other side of the stem plants right behind the sword just so it's not blocking the wisteria

Lol funny how I said at first... Nope... just THESE plants in the tank and now I've added other stuff :P lol At least the moss will be easy to get out.
Pic of the clever big small baby in the 20 tall. It's a girl!

And a total surprise this morning in the 20 long! More babies! I counted 5, but there could be more. These looked... new new.

So excited, but also worried.
These tanks are just.... not cycled.
I dunno what the heck I do wrong all the time. I put in some mature media in to these tanks filters. I added shrimp pellets to feed bacteria and it still doesn't work. I wish I could find pure ammonia, but that stuff is difficult to find NM the whole pandemic stuff going on too.
Frustrating. Hopefully the water changes I'm doing help keep everyone alive. (put a sponge filter over the hose so I don't suck up any baby fish)
I just ordered more start stuff for the tanks and... maybe it will work.. maybe it won't. Hopefully it does, b/c I can't keep buying more and more things that aren't going to help anything.

Low tech planted tanks

post #634 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'm sure you will soon have more guppies than you know what to do with! They're actually pretty tough, too. Once I forgot to plug the heater back in after a water change, it went an entire day like that, still didn't loose any fry. I started with three (two females, one male) and now have fifteen plus have fed six batches of fry (ten to twenty in each batch) to my paradise fish over the past six months. They just keep coming (and I separated the male from females early!) They all look female when they're that little. I wasn't able to discern male characteristics until they were four or five weeks old. But congrats! They sure are darn cute, aren't they? "Swimming butterflies" is pretty apt. I wish I could get more blue ones, of different types. I like my blue pandas much better than I expected to.
lisals likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #635 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
I'm sure you will soon have more guppies than you know what to do with! They're actually pretty tough, too. Once I forgot to plug the heater back in after a water change, it went an entire day like that, still didn't loose any fry. I started with three (two females, one male) and now have fifteen plus have fed six batches of fry (ten to twenty in each batch) to my paradise fish over the past six months. They just keep coming (and I separated the male from females early!) They all look female when they're that little. I wasn't able to discern male characteristics until they were four or five weeks old. But congrats! They sure are darn cute, aren't they? "Swimming butterflies" is pretty apt. I wish I could get more blue ones, of different types. I like my blue pandas much better than I expected to.
I used to have guppies years and years ago along with platies, so I know how fast they can multiply. For some reason my brain just didn't think they'd be popping them out this soon lol
But I guess it makes sense since I'm sure the place I ordered them from kept them together.
Yeah I realized I was looking at the wrong area when I was trying to see what sex they were. So still unsure on the larger fry

I would love some blue ones and red ones, but I think by the time stores around here actually got more in, I'll be overrun with them lol. Not like I don't have a big 125g tank where I'm sure the killifish would probably pick off the smaller ones, but I'd feel so bad about it. I don't know if i could feed little babies to my other fish lol.
I'm such a bleeding heart.

Low tech planted tanks

post #636 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty, so I think I'm going to have to remove any new new babies from the 20 tall.
My big guppy girl that I love in there (with the glowing tail) seems to have a taste for the tiny babies.

Saw another baby in the tank, that she quickly spotted and she went after it pretty aggressively. I netted it out and put it in to the other tank

20 long now has 7 total baby guppies in it (that I know of) and all the adults seem to ignore them even though most of them are hanging out in plain sight at the top of the tank

The new one hiding in the swords. This tank is going to be a great place for fry to grow and survive. Plenty of cover for them

doug105! likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #637 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ammonia in both 20s keeps climbing. So SO annoyed. I don't know what else to do.
I got some safe start that I'm using. I hope it's not a dud like everything else and helps.
The fish all look ok... FOR NOW, but I know that won't keep up if I can't get something to work.

20g long looks good though. I'm sure the plants on the left will catch up. Those were the smaller plants so obviously they're gonna look smaller now too. But everything is filling out really well I think

The babies are doing ok. Starting to venture away from the top of the tank, but still mostly hanging out there. And either I was wrong with my count before or there were only 5 in the tank and I added the 1 from the other 20. But there are only 6 in this tank.

The one from the 20 tall is still doing ok. Haven't spotted any new ones

The tiger lotus is finally putting out a surface leaf.

I''ll remember one day to get more photos of this tank at night when there is no glare.

40 looking like it usually does.

Don't know why my pothos decided to climb the wall, but so glad it did too. I think the leaf above this one is slightly bigger, but this is the one I could reach lol

Otos being all cute and deserve more love. I really hope to get more one day

By betta girl Heart (daughter named her) being a piglet. Good gracious she's fat. I'm gonna have to skip some feedings on this tank b/c of her

While I had the tape measure out and while one was still
It's not completely stretched to it's potential but still gives an idea of how big my pool noodles are

Another one. Just thought it looked neat... snakey

I usually only spot 1 MAYBE 2 of the new albinos at once, but did spot all 3 of them really quick earlier. But from the looks of them, they've all put some weight on so yay

Oh and I'm probably going to have to cut the stem on this chinese evergreen that is in the 125. The roots have grown from the closer to the top instead of all along the stem. The stem isn't mushy, but probably will be soon. Will probably do that next water change. Not sure if I can suspend the plant in this spot still.

And finally.. the killifish. For some reason, my daughter thinks its lips are the funniest thing ever.. so these photos are for her lol

Low tech planted tanks

post #638 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

SIGH.... so this had to happen this morning

If you're not sure what you're looking at, that's my large fry container thing hanging off the side, and my janky DIY thing in the tank. Both holding all of the guppies from the tanks.

Janky one is holding the 20 long fish (really difficult getting a photo of them)

And the nice one for the 20 tall fish. Really wishing I had 2 of these right now lol

I figured I was going to need to do this with the way the ammonia kept going up and everything I was doing wasn't working to get it to just... cycle.
The fish in the 20 tall were acting fine, but the ones in the 20 long were noticeably stressed. Hanging out at the top of their tank and just not looking happy.

Hopefully the babies in the janky thing won't get out b/c I'm sure my betta girl would gobble them up ASAP.

Anyway... I put in a few shrimp pellets in to the filters and now.. just gotta wait I guess. Will add more every few days and get these tanks finished cycling already.
Just do not understand why seeding new tanks with old media just does not work at all for me. So frickin frustrating.

Low tech planted tanks

post #639 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty... so I did another thing.
Took my FX6 and squeezed the top layer of sponges in to my pitcher to get all of that gross mulmy goodness
Thought it was interesting how the gunk was separating from the water

I then poured said gunk in to the 20's. Pour some over the sponge filter in the 20 long and then the rest in to the HOB on both.
GIANT mess in both tanks, but it should help right?

This was after an hour in the 20 long. The brownish gunky look cleared up surprisingly fast.

Not so much in the 20 tall though. Stayed soupy for a while. The other HOB is definitely getting put on to this tank. It needs it.
You can see the mulm build-up on the bottom. It's going to be a giant pain cleaning up the mess, but if it helps them cycle, then so be it.

125 always gets cloudy and gross whenever I mess with the filter so I did a water change on it to help clear some of it up. It'll need another though. I didn't really clean the filter out and I unclogged a lot of gunk apparently

Also yes, I added the cheesy rock to both tanks. The little one in the 20 long is a broken off part from the big one in the 20 tall.

Look what else I found
A giant sponge filter I completely forgot I bought!
I can't even remember which tank I got this for. Maybe I thought it was smaller? B/c it's HUGE. Putting it in the 125g wouldn't hurt though. Tnk could always use more filtration

Also, look what else I found!!

In one of the drawers that the 40g is sitting on. I do not remember putting this in there. I guess it went on my 5g b/c it's a pretty small light. It would've been perfectly fine for it. It's not dim or anything. I just totally forgot that I even had it. Didn't want it going to waste, so I made some room for it (timer went on the 20 long)

Sooo yep. I'm going to check parameters in about another hour. Then will check again tomorrow and so on and so forth. Hopefully it helps to cycle the tanks. That stuff should have had plenty of beneficial bacteria all in it. There should be plenty of poop and shrimp pellets in the tanks to get them cycled.
FX this works so I can get my guppies out of their tiny little temp homes and back in to their tanks.

Low tech planted tanks

post #640 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Fry are so fun to watch. I agree with your daughter- from the side, your killifish looks like it's smirking!
lisals likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #641 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty, so....
The fry escaped my DIY box. I should've known it was going to happen, but it still caught me offguard. You know how difficult it is seeing those teeny tiny little things in the 40? REALLY difficult!
But I managed to find all 6 of them and placed them in the breeder box.
Didn't get a pic of them, but they seem to be doing well.

Welp, this morning I woke up to

That's right, the guppies from my janky box escaped b/c it ended up falling in to the water. /facepalm
Thankfully it doesn't look like my betta really cares. I saw her eyeball the red one, but nothing more than that.

Unfortunately. Looks like we have a casualty. Daughter went to go look for her Rainbow Boy and he wasn't in the breeder box /heartsink.
Found him dried up completely in my tub of supplies. Kids are upset about it.
Not sure when it could've happened. Probably soon after I put them in b/c I put the top on the box right away. Or maybe when I was trying to get the fry out of the 40. Either way.... Swim in Peace little guppy.

Low tech planted tanks

post #642 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty, I decided to move all of the adult guppies in to the 40g.
I did see the betta flaring some at one of the guppies, but she hasn't seemed to bother with them.
I don't know how long it's going to take for the 20's to completely cycle and felt bad leaving the adults in the small breeder so I made the decision to just take them out. I'd rather struggle trying to catch them in the 40 than keep them cramped up.
Plus, this could just be a good excuse to get more fish for my 20's too if I 'can't' catch them lol

Low tech planted tanks

post #643 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Small update.
I should be getting the ammonia I ordered in today. Thought it was coming Friday so I'm glad I'm getting it a few days early.
Will be adding it tomorrow to the 20 gallons right after I do a water change on both to clean out some of the mulm I put in.

The 20 tall has the most in it. I cleaned out some of it on one side of the tank, but there is still a lot of it on the right side and on the sword.
The plants look good though. New growth on everything.

I also went ahead and took out the HOB from the 20 long (and put it on the 20 tall). Figured since I'd be using ammonia in the tanks, I could just go ahead and take it out and just cycle the sponge.
You can see how gunked up the sponge got in the back.

Just excited to finally get these tanks going.
The guppies seem perfectly happy in the 40. I tried putting the larger fry in to the main tank, but the rasbora kept picking at it.
Really want to get the guppies out ASAP b/c any fry born is going to get picked off. While there is a lot of hiding places, as soon as any fry goes to the top of the tank, they're gonna get eaten.
The fry in the breeder are doing ok too. Which reminds me I need to clean it out and give them some cabomba or something to pick at.

And finally.. just my 10g. Plants in it really aren't doing great since the light isn't that great in it.

I added a few more snails to it to keep the one that was in it company and it appears one had babies

Spotted this next to them too. Just thought the pattern of them eating through the algae was interesting.

The one that grew in this tank has a nice healthy shell. The ones I put in (from the 125) all have very deficient looking shells so I hope they grow healthier shells in here.
I don't feed this tank at all. Just top it with dechlorinated water when it needs it.

I'll have to look up ways to get my snail shells healthy in my tanks. Pretty sure cleaned egg shells works. I'll look it up.

Low tech planted tanks

post #644 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hmm. Something is wrong with my big blind dojo loach. Noticed yesterday that it wasn't eating. Same today. Seems to just want to hang out at the surface. Physically she looks fine. Not breathing heavy, no weird wounds etc etc.

Did a big water change. If nothing improves tomorrow, will do another either same day or the day after and hope it helps.
Nothing has changed in the tank, but maybe when the filter spewed out all of the gunk, it dirtied up the water too much.
I did 2 big water changes after that happened, but maybe it wasn't enough. It has remained slightly cloudy since.
All other fish seem ok though.

And ammonia... I went ahead and put some in to the tanks yesterday.
Added about 25 drops per tank which brought ammonia to around a 2.
Looks slightly less than 2 this morning but only slightly. Hopefully the cycling process goes faster since there should be SOMETHING in the tanks already.
Going to check later tonight and add more drops or just leave it. Maybe test nitrites too.
This is the ammonia I bought off of amazon
Just a small bottle of it. Doesn't smell at all and comes with a dropper screw on top.

Low tech planted tanks

post #645 of 647 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No pics for now. Haven't been feeling great.
I have been keeping an eye on ammonia and it looks like it comes down a little in 24hrs, but not all the way.

Blind dojo still isn't doing well. She is breathing hard, but not fast. I dunno what's wrong, but I'm probably going to lose her.
My other 3 large ones and the 3 albinos seem to be ok along with the rest of the fish. So.... /shrugs Upset that I can't help her more.
I don't want to lose another dojo but seems inevitable at this point.

I have an antibacterial that I've been dosing the tank with but it doesn't seem to havee done anything to help. Water change tomorrow.

And yep.... nothing else much to report on. Just waiting waiting waiting.

Low tech planted tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode