My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 39 - The Planted Tank Forum
 392Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #571 of 593 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
Been enjoying your thread--nice to know I'm not the only one with a messy tank LOL

SAE are known for being one of the few algae-eating fish that eat BBA. Have you noticed any difference? Have also read in multiple places that if you dose with metricide, the BBA turns a different color, and then otos & other algae-eaters who otherwise ignore it will chomp it down.

Re metricide & vals: my experience has been that it tolerates the recommended dose just fine. Maybe try starting at a half dose and ramping up? But you'd wanna be consistent (hard with a busy schedule, I know) The only damage I've noticed is if I trim the leaves, then the metricide seems to damage them and the trimmed leaves keep dying back. Mine got so tall they were shading the entire tank, and since they look like crap if I tried to trim them, I ended up pulling them all. Well almost all--sure enough one popped up in the middle of another plant, and is starting to spread. Persistent little buggers. It's going into my new dirted 75 where I'm gonna need some hungry fast growers to hopefully keep the algae at bay.

Love your swords--I'm jealous! My angels would love to spawn on those.....
I used to have some SAE's in my 40g. They all eventually died but they didn't touch the BBA in that tank at all. I think at the time, I was having a problem with that green slime hair algae stuff though so maybe that's why they didn't eat it? I have no idea.
I don't have vals anymore. All of mine died a long time ago. I do remember it dying off when I did dose metricide though. I'm not sure how much I was putting in to the tank at the time. I don't think it was just the metricide that did it.
I do love vallis. My 125 used to have a ton of jungle val in it that also shaded like half of the tank. Looked awesome!

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 593 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And now something is wrong with my betta
He didn't want to come up for food. Used the dropper to check water parameters to get him to move and he went and wedged himself under the heater.
Checked parameters and there might've been a very slight tint of green (we have really crappy lighting so it's difficult to tell sometimes) so I did a big water change and sucked up all debris and whatnot. Think I may go to Petsmart tomorrow and buy some bottled bacteria just in case too if there is something going on w/ ammonia.

Looks like he's still a bit lethargic a few hours later. Boo I hope he's gonna be ok.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #573 of 593 (permalink) Old 01-30-2020, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aaaand my betta is bloated and looks like he's in the beginning staged of dropsy.
It's just his belly that is bloated and pineconing some right now. And when I netted him, he was passing some poop. I gave him an epsom salt bath and then added that water to his tank too in hopes that it will help him pass more if he is backed up or something.
I checked his water again this morning and it was the same thing. Not sure if there was a tint of green or it was just my crappy lighting. I did a water change anyway and did notice there was still some uneaten food here and there so that might be causing some ammonia.

I don't get it. He was FINE before. Begging for food as usual and couple of days later... this. I did take out those swords, but I also did a bit water change to make sure I sucked up any muck that got disturbed from the substrate.
Nothing weird on the anubias.

Just... WTF. Everyone else gets to keep their bettas for years and years and I can't even keep mine for months.

Low tech planted tanks

post #574 of 593 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry for lack of photos. I'd get a photo of betta but I'm already stressing him out netting him to give him epsom salt baths.
He's in his one for today. He seemed a little more active this morning, but his belly is still very bloated w/ scales sticking out. Only on the belly area though. Not his entire body... so MAYBE he still has a chance. I really hope so. Will be adding the epsom salt water to his tank once he's done in it and hopefully it will continue to help him poop or draw out the fluids or whatever it going on with him.
I'm afraid this is probably just going to be my experience with any betta now. They've all been so inbred to get these beautiful looks but have completely lost their hardiness. Didn't that happen with guppies too?

Speaking of guppies... maybe I should get some for the 20 long and then let them just completely take over that tank. I saw some pretty platinum (white) ones at petco when we picked up the tanks. Don't think I saw females though. I dunno. Still not happening right now anyway then I'll have to cycle the tank and blahblah. Just thinking "out loud"

Low tech planted tanks

post #575 of 593 (permalink) Old 01-31-2020, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sorry to hear about your betta. I've had the same frustration- never can keep one alive longer than a year and a half, two years I think was my max. I hear of people who have theirs seven, eight years, don't know how they do it! Am I doing something wrong or just not getting healthy ones. After I lost the last one, I just didn't feel like getting another for a while. I've got guppies in what was my betta tank, for now. I really hope yours pulls through!
lisals likes this.

|
|
|
|
post #576 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-02-2020, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks JJ.... It's good to know that it's just not me b/c I certainly feel like I have the hand of death when it comes to bettas.

Unfortunately, it looks like his stomach is more bloated today. He is trying to poop, so I'm hoping these salt baths are helping, but I don't think there is help left to give honestly. I'm still trying b/c it's just his belly area and not his entire body, but I think with time... it will spread to his whole body and when that happens. UGH.... I can't let him suffer
Wish I could just go in and squeeze him and get whatever is causing this out, but obviously that would do more harm than good.

Low tech planted tanks

post #577 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-03-2020, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yikes, that looks painful.

|
|
|
|
post #578 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So first up
Just so impressed with this pothos and how huge the leaves are. Tried getting a comparison to "normal" size leaves

Just think it's cool. I've had pothos for a while and this is the first time this has happened.

The red tiger lotus in the 40 that you can't really see lol. I need to move the wisteria in the front.
But what you can see. It's not really thriving, but it's growing and not dead at least lol

Red tiger in the 125 is still doing great, but so is everything else around it too. Soooooooo can't wait to set up the other tanks

Figured out that the plants that I wasn't sure if they were crypts or swords. Neither one... they were aponogeton and I'm pretty sure I killed them. Maybe they'll pop back up but, it's not looking too good.

I spotted an aponogeton in the 5g that I forgot was in there and moved it to the 10g for now.

The 10g plants are looking pretty rough though. The majority of them had only little nubs for roots so I'm sure that is why they're looking bad right now. BUT there is new growth here and there too so FX they'll bounce back fast.
You can see the tiny little new growth leaf in the previous photo. The sword on the left corner.

Decided to add a little bit of dry ferts. I don't measure anything. I have a plastic spoon that I use to scoop in to the funnel in to an old glass baby bottle. Then I shake it all up to mix and voila! lol

In sad news though. I had to euthanize Phish this morning. Checked on him and he was worse. Floating at the surface on his side and once I got him out, noticed the pineconing was starting to occur on his body as well. Couldn't let him suffer anymore so clove oiled him. Only had him for 6 months, but hopefully it was a good 6 months for him. I wish it had been for much longer.

When I first got him

His cool little color pattern he was sporting before the blue took over

Couple months ago

RIP Phish

Low tech planted tanks

post #579 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sooo.... Swords are having a massive die back
Mistakenly thought they would just grow NP once planted in actual soil! Haha NOPE

Before I did a water change

All of the older leaves are basically dying. All of them. I'm sure some are actually dead.

I went in and trimmed a lot of the dying leaves off, but didn't get all of them. The ones that I accidentally pulled up though... some of them did have actual new leaves, but no new root growth which is a little weird.

I went in with scissors and tried snipping off a good many, but then decided that maybe I should just leave the dead ones on. I dunno. I'll see what happens.

I mean... it's not like I won't have more sword runners eventually. Pretty sure I saw one of the swords has a runner right now. Just wait a few more weeks and will have some new sword plants if I need them.

In the meantime though, just going to let these things do what they gotta do. Going to add the heater back to the tank as soon as I find an adapter thing so I can plug it up.

Low tech planted tanks

post #580 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No new betta for the tank yet. I accidentally forgot to plug the filter back up after a water change and it was off all night. Media inside wasn't dry, but I guess it was still enough to cause an ammonia problem b/c it's coming up at about a 1 reading now. Great :\

The couple of sweet potato vines are growing and doing well. Still having some mite/aphid problems on them, but they look ok for now

Couple of the otos hanging out. They're definitely not hiding as much as they used to

Got some of these moisture bags a while back for our house and figured one could be useful in the room with my tanks. Already had water in it by the end of the day

My 40. Just a giant dang mess, but well... that's just how it's always going to be I think lol
I dunno.. Having a nice clean tank setup would be nice, but I also like that it does look wild and natural and ugly lol

Low tech planted tanks

post #581 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a small update

Still a lot of leaves dying off in the 10g, but there is small new growth here and there.
Totally fine though considering that it doesn't look like I'll be setting up the new tanks any time soon.

No nitrites in the 5g, but still ammonia. It's at a 0.5 reading, not 1 like I had thought. Hopefully it fixes itself soon b/c there are a lot of bettas out there that need a good home.

The mint has gone crazy though. I did a big trim not too long ago and as you can see, there is a ton of growth. Will have to trim again soon. Think I'm going to go ahead and add more crypts to this tank too from the 125 along with more root tabs

125 crypts have also grown a tremendous amount. They were looking pretty scraggly, but there has been a big growth spurt
Maybe when I tried pulling off a lot of the BBA covered leaves it helped them put more in to growing new healthy leaves

Only thing bad about all of this new growth is that the lotus is getting overwhelmed. I HOPE I can get my new tanks set up soon so I can thin everything out like I want, but... I dunno. Lotss of bills that need to be paid off before setting up a tank. NM that I still need a stand for at least one of them.

And yeah... that's it for now.
Eager to get my new tanks set up finally, but no idea when that will be b/c of lack of funds. I am tempted to do a dirted tank but I'm SO messy and so heavy handed that I know I would make a giant mess of that type of tank. It would be cheap though...... SIGH
I THINK I'm going to do it for the 20 long b/c it's going to house all of these swords and that's it. So no worried on having to uproot anything.
Then I'd only have to worry about saving a little to get some expensive substrate for the reg 20g.
I dunno though.
First need to get a stand for at least the 20 long. Then I'll worry about everything else.

Low tech planted tanks

Last edited by lisals; 02-14-2020 at 08:05 PM. Reason: text
post #582 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 08:21 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post

Decided to add a little bit of dry ferts. I don't measure anything. I have a plastic spoon that I use to scoop in to the funnel in to an old glass baby bottle. Then I shake it all up to mix and voila! lol

That pothos looks great! Sorry about your betta. As the ferts go, I'd really take the time to weigh them out. I'm happy to share the recipe I use if interested. Also if mixing CSM+B with your macros, I'm pretty sure that phosphates can bind to iron easily, creating an insoluble precipitate so you would be well-served to at least not mix those two. Not to be critical, just thought that might be helpful.
lisals likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #583 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
No new betta for the tank yet. I accidentally forgot to plug the filter back up after a water change and it was off all night. Media inside wasn't dry, but I guess it was still enough to cause an ammonia problem b/c it's coming up at about a 1 reading now. Great :\

The couple of sweet potato vines are growing and doing well. Still having some mite/aphid problems on them, but they look ok for now

I'm surprised your impressive pothos and all your plants didn't soak up the excess ammonia from your filter mishap. Then again, I've read that plants only uptake nutrients during the photocycle, so did you test immediately after lights on?

Nothing wrong with a messy tank as long as it's healthy--mine is messy much of the time. Nature is messy, so just call it a nature tank....
lisals likes this.
post #584 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
That pothos looks great! Sorry about your betta. As the ferts go, I'd really take the time to weigh them out. I'm happy to share the recipe I use if interested. Also if mixing CSM+B with your macros, I'm pretty sure that phosphates can bind to iron easily, creating an insoluble precipitate so you would be well-served to at least not mix those two. Not to be critical, just thought that might be helpful.
I can't remember everything I mix up off the top of my head. Definitely a little bit of iron. Sure, if ya wanna share your ingredient, I'll happily take a look. Any advice would be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
I'm surprised your impressive pothos and all your plants didn't soak up the excess ammonia from your filter mishap. Then again, I've read that plants only uptake nutrients during the photocycle, so did you test immediately after lights on?

Nothing wrong with a messy tank as long as it's healthy--mine is messy much of the time. Nature is messy, so just call it a nature tank....
I did test it a could of times right when the lights came on. For the results I posted.. I can't remember. I'll check it again tomorrow after lights have been on for a while.
I dunno... that tank has just been a pain in my butt. Really unstable for some reason. I mean well.. this time it was my fault that there is an ammonia spike, but before.. just blah.

Low tech planted tanks

post #585 of 593 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hubs brought down the 29g bowfront stand and the 20 high should fit on it fine.

Haven't put it on there yet b/c I have to clean this spot up and we need to move the horsemat that is there right now.
Pls excuse all the leaf litter. Trimmed all the mint and basil and haven't vacuumed it up yet

Going to put it where the glass top table is and... yep. It's slowly slowly slowly coming together lol

Also checked 5g parameters again after the lights had been on for a few hours and same thing as before.

Also 10g has started getting ammonia now too. SO yep. Just a waiting game right now... for everything.
Doing water changes tomorrow.

OH and also noticed that the big compacta sword in the 125 has already put out another runner that is at the top of the tank already. SO yep. If I do lose a lot of the ones in the 10g. MEH! Going to have more to replace them soon lol

Low tech planted tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode