My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 34 - The Planted Tank Forum
 361Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #496 of 562 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking at reddit... looks like bettas get these tumors often. Damn horrible genetics. I guess that's to be expected when we want these super pretty nice looking bettas. Same with pure bred dogs. All of them have something horribly wrong that is common but they keep being bred and keep getting worse and worse.

Damnit.
I've only had her since Dec of last year and this tumor got that big in just a month! I'm sure the crappy water quality didn't help, but still.. UGH.

It's going to break my damn heart when I have to put her down.
She's ok for now, but with how quickly it is growing... I'm sure it's going to start impacting her soon

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #497 of 562 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just wanted to share how pretty Phish is from the top!!

Econde, varanidguy and Quint like this.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #498 of 562 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a small update.
Really nothing significant to report on.
Water change day as usual and wanted to get a couple of photos of the 5g and Phish.

Still a lot of brown algae and a little bit of hair algae, but it's all good. I think the plants will finally start growing and digging in to the substrate.

The Chinese Evergreen roots have grown a significant amount. Really spreading out and looking pretty cool.

And phish still looking good and just as cool from above.

40 and 125 are doing ok. BBA still all over the place so I decided to try the metricide mixed with peroxide. Only sprayed a couple of spots in the 40 and quite a few in the 125. Made sure the filters were off and kept them off for at least 10min.
Dunno if it will do anything but meh.
All the fish look good and happy so far though.
Well... Lady betta still has her giant tumor. Looks like it might be fluid filled but I dunno. It looks like it's very close to bursting. it's SO big.

Low tech planted tanks

post #499 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

More pics!
Everything is going well for now.

5g. Chinese evergreen roots are growing really fast now and the leaf is slowly slowly growing.
Still lots of brown algae, but that's ok

Phish is doing great. Wants to eat ALL the time and isn't shy 1 bit. He's so beefy and he's coloring up even more

40g
Sweet potato is slowly growing back.
I may have to remove the actual potato soon. The skin on it is starting to peel and look a bit gross. The vines should be ok though. Going to let it grow back a bit more and will eventually snip the vines off and throw the potato away. Will be a shame, but it's been a good experiment

Tank itself still having some issues with algae. A lot of stuff is getting caught on all the stem stuff. Not sure why w/ 3 HOB filters on here. I'm just gonna have to face it.. this tank is never going to be pretty. It's always going to look like a swamp and that's ok lol

125 is doing fairly well even w/ all the BBA all over the place.
Some of the areas that were completely out of the water that I sprayed are red/dying, but none of the spots that I sprayed that were under the water or even slightly in the water that I sprayed were affected at all lol. Meh. Oh well. So that stuff kind of worked
Looking a bit overcrowded, but it's all good.

The tiger lotus is doing amazing. Has 2 floating leaves and a whole bunch of bottom ones.
The lace plant behind it has also gotten 2 or so more leaves too. Difficult to spot new growth on it.
This lotus plant... love it. LOVE IT. I will be getting another for a new tank. It's an absolutely lovely plant.

The tiger barbs like hanging out under the leaves of this one now.

Whenever we decide to start moving exercise equipment out of the room... I'm going to get our old 29g bow front and redo the silicone. It's been up in our attic for years now and it's at least 12yo now. It needs to be done. I have plenty of plants to go in to it. Substrate will be a mix of eco complete and a different plant substrate. One of those ones where it looks like pellets maybe? I don't think I'll ever do just sand again. I dunno what people are doing in their sand tanks to get their plants to grow so well, but it is not working for me.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #500 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
More pics!
Everything is going well for now.

5g. Chinese evergreen roots are growing really fast now and the leaf is slowly slowly growing.
Still lots of brown algae, but that's ok

Phish is doing great. Wants to eat ALL the time and isn't shy 1 bit. He's so beefy and he's coloring up even more

40g
Sweet potato is slowly growing back.
I may have to remove the actual potato soon. The skin on it is starting to peel and look a bit gross. The vines should be ok though. Going to let it grow back a bit more and will eventually snip the vines off and throw the potato away. Will be a shame, but it's been a good experiment

Tank itself still having some issues with algae. A lot of stuff is getting caught on all the stem stuff. Not sure why w/ 3 HOB filters on here. I'm just gonna have to face it.. this tank is never going to be pretty. It's always going to look like a swamp and that's ok lol

125 is doing fairly well even w/ all the BBA all over the place.
Some of the areas that were completely out of the water that I sprayed are red/dying, but none of the spots that I sprayed that were under the water or even slightly in the water that I sprayed were affected at all lol. Meh. Oh well. So that stuff kind of worked
Looking a bit overcrowded, but it's all good.

The tiger lotus is doing amazing. Has 2 floating leaves and a whole bunch of bottom ones.
The lace plant behind it has also gotten 2 or so more leaves too. Difficult to spot new growth on it.
This lotus plant... love it. LOVE IT. I will be getting another for a new tank. It's an absolutely lovely plant.

The tiger barbs like hanging out under the leaves of this one now.

Whenever we decide to start moving exercise equipment out of the room... I'm going to get our old 29g bow front and redo the silicone. It's been up in our attic for years now and it's at least 12yo now. It needs to be done. I have plenty of plants to go in to it. Substrate will be a mix of eco complete and a different plant substrate. One of those ones where it looks like pellets maybe? I don't think I'll ever do just sand again. I dunno what people are doing in their sand tanks to get their plants to grow so well, but it is not working for me.
Great photos I like your "messy" tank LoL esp the Lotus. Probably can't have one in a 10 gallon?

Nice Betta very cool coloring -:is he a Coi?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #501 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
Great photos I like your "messy" tank LoL esp the Lotus. Probably can't have one in a 10 gallon?

Nice Betta very cool coloring -:is he a Coi?

Yep, he's a koi betta. He was labeled "King" betta at petco.

I think you could do a lotus in a 10, but you'd have to trim the leaves so they stay shorter. I've read that a lot of people snip the ones off that go to the surface and cut any taller leaves to train the plant to stay shorter.
I could definitely see it working in a 10 though. Would certainly be a very nice centerpiece plant
Nature Freak likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #502 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Few photos

Chinese evergreen roots. They keep getting crazier and crazier. Pls excuse the algae lol

Phish being all cute... and my finger in the one photo lol. He's a greedy eater.

Lady Betta and her tumor. It's gotten SO big Looks like it's partially fluid filled but has some solid looking things in it along w/ big pool of possibly blood? at the bottom of it. Difficult to get a good solid look at it since her fins are long and cover it. She's still acting totally normal though, but... I dunno. With how huge it is and how it looks. I think she's a goner whenever it decides to rupture.

With the last water change... I took out the piece of wood from the 40. It was time. It kept losing the smaller branches and it was just time to remove it. It was a good piece of wood.

Sprayed more of the BBA in the 125. Still though... anything that's not fully out of the water isn't affected by the spray at all. OH well.

Tiger lotus is gorgeous as usual. I think there are 2 plants, but I think the big upper leaf is part of the one I would want to take out. Not going to right now, but it's a possibility.

Their floating leaves are super pretty too

Low tech planted tanks

post #503 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
Few photos

Chinese evergreen roots. They keep getting crazier and crazier. Pls excuse the algae lol

Phish being all cute... and my finger in the one photo lol. He's a greedy eater.

Lady Betta and her tumor. It's gotten SO big Looks like it's partially fluid filled but has some solid looking things in it along w/ big pool of possibly blood? at the bottom of it. Difficult to get a good solid look at it since her fins are long and cover it. She's still acting totally normal though, but... I dunno. With how huge it is and how it looks. I think she's a goner whenever it decides to rupture.

With the last water change... I took out the piece of wood from the 40. It was time. It kept losing the smaller branches and it was just time to remove it. It was a good piece of wood.

Sprayed more of the BBA in the 125. Still though... anything that's not fully out of the water isn't affected by the spray at all. OH well.

Tiger lotus is gorgeous as usual. I think there are 2 plants, but I think the big upper leaf is part of the one I would want to take out. Not going to right now, but it's a possibility.

Their floating leaves are super pretty too

Wow amazing looking tank!

Sorry about the tumor do you think Betta fish are more prone to things like tumors, dropsy Etc?

post #504 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Freak View Post
Wow amazing looking tank!

Sorry about the tumor do you think Betta fish are more prone to things like tumors, dropsy Etc?

It certainly seems like it. Looked up bettas and tumors and there are A LOT.. and when I say a lot I mean just a ton of links of people that have had bettas w/ tumors. I'm not sure which ones are more prone. Maybe the fancier ones since I'm sure their bloodlines would have to be really really selective/inbreeding to get the right attributes?
Just feels like bettas are going the way of guppies now. I remember when people used to say guppies were hardy fish and now? Not so much (at least the last time I had guppies they weren't considered hardy any longer)

Low tech planted tanks

post #505 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:40 AM
Algae Grower

Very interesting yes I agree the Splendens with the long finnage seem prone to a lot.

That's why this afternoon I picked up a hybrid "Alien" at the Aquatic Experiencnce in Meadowlands, NJ. Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191012_154521.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	888021

post #506 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:42 AM
Algae Grower

Don't know why that's posting upside down?

Maybe tomorrow I'll get a better shot. He's turquoise blue.

post #507 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh he's gorgeous! Spade tail. How cool!
The tumor on my female looks horrible and has gotten even bigger. I dunno how she is still acting normal but she is. It's so huge on her and looks terrible.

Also more bad news, had a dojo loach die.
Noticed 2 days ago that one of them wasn't eating and saw an injury on it. Thought it was more by/behind it's pectoral but it looked like the gil was damaged somehow.
Didn't look like it was damage caused from another fish. Not sure what would've caused it.
But found it freshly dead this morning ☹️

Low tech planted tanks

post #508 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My poor Lady betta.
Her tumor is getting bigger and bigger and looks so bad. I'm not sure if it's her guts in the tumor along w/ fluids and who knows what else. Thinking about possibly giving her a salt bath to see if it could help.
(pls forgive all the algae on the glass)

Definitely fluid in it which looks like that's the majority, so maybe doing an epsom salt bath could help draw some of it out.

Difficult getting a shot of just how far it's sticking out

I dunno how long she has left, but she's still acting normal and she's still my pretty girl while she's here.

Low tech planted tanks

post #509 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Algae Grower

So sorry about this. It doesn't seem to be the guts it's off to the side guts are directly underneath.

It seems like a tumor because if the swelling were due to water retention (dropsy) the fish would be gone already or very very sick.

Seems like an Epsom salt bath would only stress the fish out without medicinal benefit. Without a diagnosis it's impossible to know what to do because everyone on the internet is just guessing (but hey I'm guilty of trying to diagnose myself that way....).

I know it's hard to do "nothing" but throwing meds at a fish without a diagnosis is expensive and usually not helpful. My observation about your Betta is just an educated guess. I once lost one to dropsy and once his belly swelled up he was gone the next day.

Keeping fingers crossed

lisals likes this.
post #510 of 562 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Algae Grower

I apologise if the pic is gross but I wanted to show you what fluid in the guts looks like.

Also, I don't see your girl pineconing so that's a positive.

lisals likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode