My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 284Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
Thanks, I have used osmocote plus gel caps in the past. I wonder if the red clay makes a difference?
No clue lol. Maybe the clay helps the roots grab on to the ferts better? I've pulled up a few plants and they usually have their roots growing through the tablets. The compacts sword that I pulled up recently had 2 stuck to it

Anywho.. sorry for lack of updates. I haven't done water changes like I had planned. Illness and just being busy and tired doing mom things has kept me from it.
Hoping to get what I want done this weekend though. So FX for that!

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The little pygmy cory is so cute! Your betta doesn't bother him? I tried some in my tank, but had to take them back to the store. My betta was stalking them and I worried he would attack someday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #33 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
The little pygmy cory is so cute! Your betta doesn't bother him? I tried some in my tank, but had to take them back to the store. My betta was stalking them and I worried he would attack someday.
My betta is in his own 5g tank alone. The pygmy is in the 40g tank
I'm too paranoid to put anything else with a male betta lol. I know it can be done... just depends on the betta, but I just don't even try :P

Oh and a cool video of sparkling gourami. Not my vid/fish, but it shows them making their little croaking sound. I've never heard mine do it before, but that's not surprising considering how noisy my home is most of the day lol.
Just thought it was a cool video to share
https://youtu.be/BWDsDkUMRMc

Low tech planted tanks

post #34 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Of course! I should have figured- but from the closeup on the pygmy cat looked like maybe it was the same tank.

That's a cool video. What gorgeous little fish. I knew they made a sound but never heard it before. Looks like a dominance display, huh.
lisals and lisals like this.

|
|
|
|
post #35 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, definitely looks like those were making the sound as some kind of dominance thing.

Water changes yesterday in the big tanks finally and changed some things around

First up is the 40. I took out about 99% of the water wisteria. Left a couple of floating scraps and planted one of them and that's it.
In its place, I removed all the corkscrew val from the 125. It wasn't getting enough light which I'm guessing was why it kept losing its leaves. Light isn't as good in the 40, but hoping it does well since it doesn't have anything shading it any longer.

And as you can see.. the moss on the left side is going crazy. Just letting it float now b/c I have no idea what else to do with it lol.

And in the 125.. I took out all of the wisteria that was still rooted down. Left some floating bits, but that's just b/c of laziness lol.
That's all I had planned, but removing the wisteria left a good bit of space open in the back, so I moved the sword that was in the right corner to the back corner.
It kicked up a lot of clay in to the water
But with water change and turning the filters back on.. it cleared up in no time

Moving the sword back really brightened up that corner so I probably could have left some val, but meh... lol

I decided to move the red flame sword to the corner. It was also being shaded by the taller plants around it. So hopefully with more light and a few root tabs under it, it will grow nice and big. Then I'll have another problem and have to figure out where the heck to put it lol.

With the wisteria out of the way and the sword beside it, I can kinda sorta see the ozelot sword better! lol It has some pleco munch spots, but overall it looks like it's doing well. Maybe in the future, I'll switch around some plants. There is a big compacta sword and a big regular amazon sword kind of in front of it. I could switch spots with one of those. Hmm... maybe next water change if I'm feeling up to it

Oh.. and I have TWO momma sword plants now The big one in the back also has a stem growing from it. It had wedged itself in the plastic bracing at the top of the tank somehow, but I managed to wiggle it out.

And this one up front coming from the big compacta sword has gotten super long.

Tank shot
I had also wanted to trim the ludwigia way way down, but that will have to wait since I'm not sure where I'd put the small trimmings since the sword plants are basically shading everything.

And just b/c they're awesome.. my dojos. They were all over my hands while I was messing around in the tank, so I took advantage to handle them a bit more. They're SO soft. Like petting the softest cashmere. I didn't grab on to them or actively try touching them, just let them go crazy in my hands while they looked for snacks that they think I stash between my fingers lol.
They're so darn cute! I can't wait to eventually get more b/c I'm really curious to see how a big group of them act together.

Low tech planted tanks

Last edited by lisals; 02-05-2018 at 12:37 PM. Reason: text
post #36 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I can't get over how big all your sword plants are! They are beautiful. The dojos are so cute. Great pictures!
post #37 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Your swords look great. Bright green and vibrant and they give the tank a nice look. My red flame sword is now gargantuan... a single leaf is probably 4 inches wide... maybe 15 inches long. It's so gorgeous, but it throws off the proportions in my 75... and it's WAY too big for the 150. I'm going to sell it. I need to find something to take up the space first. Maybe bolbitus if it grows fast enough. Personally I would keep it a little shaded. If not the leaves grow to twice the size of normal Amazon swords. It's a shame.
The 40 is really filling in nicely. Still no metricide?

Twin high tech 75's -
post #38 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Your swords look great. Bright green and vibrant and they give the tank a nice look. My red flame sword is now gargantuan... a single leaf is probably 4 inches wide... maybe 15 inches long. It's so gorgeous, but it throws off the proportions in my 75... and it's WAY too big for the 150. I'm going to sell it. I need to find something to take up the space first. Maybe bolbitus if it grows fast enough. Personally I would keep it a little shaded. If not the leaves grow to twice the size of normal Amazon swords. It's a shame.
The 40 is really filling in nicely. Still no metricide?
No metricide in the 40. Never plan on using it in that tank.. or well, no longer using it there . I did add a little to the 125 yesterday though. Plan on adding a little bit here and there just to keep the BBA in check. It's starting to spread a little more on to some leaves. I don't really care about it growing on the wood and whatnot, just not on my plants

Wow, that's awesome how big your plant got!! I can't wait to see how big mine gets. If it gets that huge... I dunno what the heck I'll do b/c I certainly don't have any space lol. I bet you're going to get a great price for yours That's why i love swords. They look amazing and when they're healthy, they grow fairly fast and easy. Really rewarding plants, BUT of course, you just have to make sure you have the space for them

Low tech planted tanks

post #39 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You sure seem to move your plants around frequently. I thought swords didn't like that. But yours are reproducing! I've never had one do that (I only have one, maybe that's why)

|
|
|
|
post #40 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
You sure seem to move your plants around frequently. I thought swords didn't like that. But yours are reproducing! I've never had one do that (I only have one, maybe that's why)
I really don't. At least... I don't think I do lol.
The 2 that are producing the stems haven't been moved since I started this tank back up last year. Or well no, that's not totally accurate. I added a little more substrate to the back of the tank and gently pulled up that sword just a little, but that was it.
I don't like moving them b/c then they have to adjust to their new spots, but the ones I have moved really needed it and have seemed ok so far Like the compacta sword that got moved to the 40. That one was packed in there with a bunch of others in a fairly small area.
As for the ones that I'm thinking about moving... I'm still debating. I would love to see the ozelot sword better, but it's a lot of mess/work moving them. /shrugs We'll see what happens and if I do move them, we'll see if they bounce back quick or take a while
touch of sky and touch of sky like this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #41 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So guess what's invading my 40g now after I said I would never use excel/metricide in my tank?

Sigh! lol
I'm still not going to use the stuff and I'm hoping the SAE eats the BBA. We'll see what happens though.

Spotted the pygmy cory hanging out with the larger cories. Still feel bad for it, but glad that it seems to be taking at least some comfort in the bigger ones.

Tried getting nice shots of 2 of the bigger guys, but they darted off when they spotted me.

I'm kind of tempted to get some for the 125, but nah. With my plan on eventually getting more dojos, I don't think cories would be able to compete against them and all the other piggies in the tank.

Speaking of piggies.... check out my barbs!
I was messing with the color options on my phone to see if I could get rid of the green tint it shows for the 125. Couldn't fix it though... oh well.
Shame too bc the green barb on the left was looking mighty pretty. Its green was looking soft and peacock velvety.
Oh and you can see the red one at the top. That's the one that had (still has) the funky mouth. It's still kicking around and doing ok

Wondering what I can do to prepare my fish for a week of no food. Definitely do not want to use any kind of auto feeder. Don't trust those things. Maybe I could get one of those cube/pyramid looking food blocks?
I mean.. I know the fish will be ok without food... I'm just going to feel bad about them not eating is all.
I'll just have to remember to feed them extremely well the day before we leave

Low tech planted tanks

post #42 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

They'll be totally fine! I have left my fishes for up to 15 days w/out food and sure they were hungry when I got back but it was ok. Honestly your barbs look nice and chunky, maybe it will good for them to slim down a bit haha.

Yikes on the algae. I've had that stuff in my tank before. I've seen two other things eat it- malaya shrimp and odessa barbs. Except probably fish would bother shrimp in your tank?

|
|
|
|
post #43 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
They'll be totally fine! I have left my fishes for up to 15 days w/out food and sure they were hungry when I got back but it was ok. Honestly your barbs look nice and chunky, maybe it will good for them to slim down a bit haha.

Yikes on the algae. I've had that stuff in my tank before. I've seen two other things eat it- malaya shrimp and odessa barbs. Except probably fish would bother shrimp in your tank?
Lol, yeah my barbs will definitely be ok an could probably benefit from losing a little bit of the chunk lol

I think dosing the tank w/ ferts has caused the BBA to go a bit crazy b/c there really wasn't any before I started back up with it.
/shrugs Hopefully things balance out a bit and gets back under control. I may try to use some peroxide on the really bad spots, but right now, I'm just going to wait and see.

Low tech planted tanks

post #44 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have not seen anything clean up algae like that until I killed it with h202. Then my shrimp went to town on it.

|
|
post #45 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Another reason to not worry about feeding them while you're gone- if the algae-eating fish find nothing better in the tank, they're more likely to eat the BBA.

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode