My poor Superman betta has injured himself somehow. Looks like he has a cut on his head. He's been hiding a lot and not wanting to eat and I guess that has been why. Poor thing.
I just cleaned out his tank VERY well. I would get a photo but it's cloudy and sad looking.
That's going to be my next project. The 10g can wait... I'm going to replace the substrate in the 5g. The clay root tablets... while the sword plants LOVED them and they're ok in bigger tanks are a disaster in a smaller tank. They constantly get disturbed during water changes and keep making everything cloudy afterwards and get this silt like debris over everything.
I'm just going to have to completely remove the substrate in it and replace it all.
Maybe for a birthday present for myself... I'll get a couple bags of planted substrate and some new plants for it too
I'll just have to put up with it in the meantime and make the best of it.
I'm going to leave the light off in that tank for a couple of days as well. WAY too much algae has been building up too quick.
Also reduced lighting on the 40 to just one light. The algae in it has been building up pretty fast recently.
It could use a little less for a week or so.
It's a dang mess right now.... but one day I'll have it looking... at least ok :P lol
Gave the potato a good root trimming today too. Was getting a bit too crazy and the food I was dropping in for the cories was getting caught in it.
I also moved a couple of the anubias to the back right corner. Put them in a shaded spot to get rid of the algae, plus give the cories back some shelter for eggs again. They really liked to lay their eggs around the swords that were up against the glass and I think this might help them lay more in the future. I still really want to get one of those giant anubias for this tank.
I try to keep the vines somewhat controlled. I hate trimming them, but it's not like it's lacking :P
I also bought more filter ceramic rings a while ago. Going to slowly start introducing them to my HOB filters and eventually put the rest in to the FX6. I definitely think the FX6 needs more bio filtration along with the HOB on the 40. The crap you get with those filters just isn't enough and keeps getting clogged from the slimy hair algae.
125 is looking pretty good. Some BBA trying to come back, but will be dosing metricide this week to take care of it.
Did a much needed trim on the cabomba and overall, it's looking good. The crypts are especially nice looking right now. Really flourishing now that they're not covered in algae.
Compacta sword that was moved in to the back right. It has exploded with a ton more new leaves.
Ocelot sword has been slower to grow and flourish but it's looking so much better now that it has the room and light to grow
Baby sword up front that I didn't think the store would want. When I planted it it was only about an inch long with 2 leaves and no roots lol. It's slowly growing
And see how pretty the crypts are looking? Love it!
Couple of compacta sword babies I just planted today after taking them off the runner. Their roots were getting pretty long so figured I might as well plant them already.
The sword I brought in from outside. Hasn't really grown and you can see that the leaves are starting to die.
Surprised the pleco hasn't munched on this one yet.
Baby cories are doing well. Haven't had a death in a while now thank goodness. I have been distracted (kids) so haven't been doing as many water changes, but I do at least 2 a day still. About to go do the final one for the day now that I'm thinking about it.
Have some new babies that hatched just yesterday. Didn't think I was going to get anymore. A lot of the eggs that I had harvested were bad.
Oh well. Can't all be winners.