My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 29 - The Planted Tank Forum
 284Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #421 of 437 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
One more dead fry.
I cleaned out the breeders very well and next day a dead one. I dunno.
I've been cleaning out their boxes at least 3 times a day. Removing the majority of the food I feed and feeding a lot less.
I think I'm going to move the largest fry in to the 40. I think it's big enough to not be seen as food by the Betta.
Going to move it to ight and hope it survives.
I harvested a few more eggs the other day. They're definitely not laying like they were though since removing the swords. That's ok though.
No photos. I can't remember what my password is here and the reset link for it is all messed up so can only post from my phone lol. I'll figure it out.
frogmanjared likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 437 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty, still can't get in to the hard drive with all of my stuff on it, but here are some new pics anyway. Can't edit them so they're not the best lol

I moved the largest fry in to the 40 last night. Instantly disappeared in to all the plants and I haven't seen it since lol. Hopefully it's ok.

Here are those wonder shells I mentioned before. They're supposed to be good for about a month and from what I've read, you only need about half the amount the instructions call for. I bought a pack with a giant one, a large one and then 3 small ones like the photo. The first ones I got were just 2 packs of the small ones and they've dissolved a good bit. They don't seem to be hurting anything though and they're not too expensive so I'll keep using them.

The potato vine climbing up the blinds

Just think it's cute how the barbs like hiding under this crypt. There are so many places to hide out, but they pick the plant that's right up front lol

Lazy hotdogs doing what they do when not searching for food

Pretty little huntress. I wish I could release more of the babies in to the tank but she is EVERYWHERE in the tank and squeezes in to all the little nooks and crannies. I even spotted her right in the middle of the thick potato roots lol. Love her!

And 40g overall is doing a little better. Still getting hair algae, but I'm guessing the reduced light time is helping to keep it somewhat under control. And while the dwarf sag is growing and spreading in this tank, any debris clings on to it like crazy. Makes clean up somewhat easier but still annoying b/c I don't think this tank will ever have a nice clean look lol.

And yeah... that's it so far. Going to have to do bucket water changes in the 40... at least when I vacuum up the gunk. Don't want the little baby to get sucked up and dumped outside without me knowing about it.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #423 of 437 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty, about to do first water chance since adding in the baby cory. Hopefully I can spot it swimming around. If not.. well.. hopefully it's just hiding really well and is ok.
Haven't had a dead baby in a while which I'm happy about. Helps when there aren't that many left though I guess.
Do have a new freshly hatched batch in the egg cup though so yay. Think I counted 9 the last time I checked and I just collected more eggs this morning.
frogmanjared likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #424 of 437 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Had a short while with no dead babies, but there is one dying. Definitely eating enough b/c it had a full little belly. /shrugs
Just transfered over a bunch of new little babies from the egg cup. FX that I'll be able to keep more of them alive.

Bought 6lbs of ceramic rings. Going to eventually replace the crappy HOB media w/ them, but it's gonna take a while since there isn't a lot of room in there. I got them mostly to fill up the FX6 though.

Still haven't spotted the baby in the 40 if it's still alive. Hopefully it is and it's just really good at hiding.

Will try to get more photos soon.

Low tech planted tanks

post #425 of 437 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Transfered over a lot of new little babies in to the small breeder. A couple of them have died, but most are still ok.
Have new eggs and looks like going to have a couple of new babies soon too.

Also had to clean out the big breeder. It keeps sucking up stuff from the main tank and for some reason hair algae is growing really fast in it. /shrugs

Quick picture of the largest fry. This one actually survived my disaster quarantine tank. Thank goodness too. It's gotten much bigger since that incident and appears in good health.

That's about it for now. All the other fish look ok.
I just bought some almond leaves off amazon for my betta tank. Hoping it helps him. The algae in that tank is going crazy right now and... ugh.. that tank is a constant frustration. The plants don't want to thrive so the algae goes crazy and just..... it's annoying.

Low tech planted tanks

post #426 of 437 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All fry seem to be doing ok for now.
I've continued feeding less and cleaning out their boxes more often. I had to switch back to using the air line hose for the big breeder though. So much gunk gets sucked in to it that I just can't get it all out with only the dropper.

Haven't done water changes yet this week, but will get that done tomorrow morning. it's been SO hot here lately that if I wait too long, it's already too hot to do a water change.
Fish overall look good. I need to figure something out for my betta tank. The stronger light is causing bad algae issues.
Algae in the 40 is starting to get bad again too. I haven't increased lighting or anything. It's just slowly building up.
The hyacinth isn't doing so great in any of the tanks. /shrugs

Also spotted a sword growing in one of the outside bins. The bins have no water in them, but the sword was growing. It's one of the ones that had the long stem with small leaf at the top. I can't remember what they're called.
I took it out and put it in the 125. I'm sure it will take a while to adjust but it should. I was just surprised it was still alive outside.

Will get some pics as soon as I stop being so lazy.
frogmanjared and tredford like this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #427 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Finally a few random pictures.

Fry from the big breeder. Cleaned out their breeder (mostly just algae covering everything) and decided to get a quick shot of them.
They seem to be doing well though. I haven't lost one of the bigger ones in quite a while.. /knock on wood

Bought some Indian almond leaves a while ago. Ripped one up and put some in to the bettas tank and 1 whole leaf in the 125 for the hell of it.
The betta seemed to really like having some cover while it was still floating and I still see him hide behind one chunk of it.

125 is doing much better with algae now. Still some spots of BBA but not nearly as bad as it was. I've only been dosing the metricide once a week. I may stop it for now. I don't want to dose it for no reason.

It's doing really well though overall. The 2 swords that were being shadowed by the larger one are starting to grow in nice. Doesn't feel as crowded anymore which I like. I can actually see everything lol. Really glad I got rid of the 2 big swords. I love swords... love them, but you need a lot of room for a big regular size one.

Low tech planted tanks

post #428 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My poor Superman betta has injured himself somehow. Looks like he has a cut on his head. He's been hiding a lot and not wanting to eat and I guess that has been why. Poor thing.
I just cleaned out his tank VERY well. I would get a photo but it's cloudy and sad looking.
That's going to be my next project. The 10g can wait... I'm going to replace the substrate in the 5g. The clay root tablets... while the sword plants LOVED them and they're ok in bigger tanks are a disaster in a smaller tank. They constantly get disturbed during water changes and keep making everything cloudy afterwards and get this silt like debris over everything.
I'm just going to have to completely remove the substrate in it and replace it all.
Maybe for a birthday present for myself... I'll get a couple bags of planted substrate and some new plants for it too
I'll just have to put up with it in the meantime and make the best of it.

I'm going to leave the light off in that tank for a couple of days as well. WAY too much algae has been building up too quick.

Also reduced lighting on the 40 to just one light. The algae in it has been building up pretty fast recently.
It could use a little less for a week or so.
It's a dang mess right now.... but one day I'll have it looking... at least ok :P lol

Gave the potato a good root trimming today too. Was getting a bit too crazy and the food I was dropping in for the cories was getting caught in it.
I also moved a couple of the anubias to the back right corner. Put them in a shaded spot to get rid of the algae, plus give the cories back some shelter for eggs again. They really liked to lay their eggs around the swords that were up against the glass and I think this might help them lay more in the future. I still really want to get one of those giant anubias for this tank.

I try to keep the vines somewhat controlled. I hate trimming them, but it's not like it's lacking :P

I also bought more filter ceramic rings a while ago. Going to slowly start introducing them to my HOB filters and eventually put the rest in to the FX6. I definitely think the FX6 needs more bio filtration along with the HOB on the 40. The crap you get with those filters just isn't enough and keeps getting clogged from the slimy hair algae.

125 is looking pretty good. Some BBA trying to come back, but will be dosing metricide this week to take care of it.
Did a much needed trim on the cabomba and overall, it's looking good. The crypts are especially nice looking right now. Really flourishing now that they're not covered in algae.

Compacta sword that was moved in to the back right. It has exploded with a ton more new leaves.

Ocelot sword has been slower to grow and flourish but it's looking so much better now that it has the room and light to grow

Baby sword up front that I didn't think the store would want. When I planted it it was only about an inch long with 2 leaves and no roots lol. It's slowly growing
And see how pretty the crypts are looking? Love it!

Couple of compacta sword babies I just planted today after taking them off the runner. Their roots were getting pretty long so figured I might as well plant them already.

The sword I brought in from outside. Hasn't really grown and you can see that the leaves are starting to die.
Surprised the pleco hasn't munched on this one yet.

Baby cories are doing well. Haven't had a death in a while now thank goodness. I have been distracted (kids) so haven't been doing as many water changes, but I do at least 2 a day still. About to go do the final one for the day now that I'm thinking about it.
Have some new babies that hatched just yesterday. Didn't think I was going to get anymore. A lot of the eggs that I had harvested were bad.
Oh well. Can't all be winners.

Low tech planted tanks

post #429 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Damn.... 3 deaths.
1 smaller one in the small breeder, 1 of the smaller from the big breeder, and one of the larger ones from the big breeder.
I was planning on cleaning the breeders out tomorrow during water changes, but that prompted me to clean them today.
Not sure what else would have been the problem. Their breeders weren't that dirty. Just some stuck on stuff on the bottom here and there and algae growing on the sides again.
Hate seeing one of the bigger ones dead though.

Tempted to release the largest in to the aquarium but I really don't want them to be killed by the betta. I don't know if she will do it, but they're still really tiny compared to her... so I'll wait.
Will try harder to do at least 3 cleanings a day.
I've started putting in tiny little pellets in to the larger breeder for the bigger cories. They should be big enough to eat them. Hoping that wasn't the cause of the deaths.

Superman betta still isn't eating.

All other fish seem ok though.

Low tech planted tanks

post #430 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Damnit. Another one of the larger ones dead. Getting ready to do the last clean up last night and spotted it.
I dunno what is going on. I'm definitely feeding enough. Cleaning enough.... why suddenly are they dying again??

Low tech planted tanks

post #431 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The only thing I can think of is nitrate and higher than normal organics. Cory rigglers are supposedly more susceptible to both. I really hope you get to the bottom of this.
frogmanjared and lisals like this.
post #432 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Does your breeder box sit in a larger tank and have flow into/out of it? I can't remember. I remember how sad and frustrating it was losing almost all my zebra danio fry because it was my first attempt at raising fry from eggs. Hopefully things take a turn for the better soon!
lisals likes this.

post #433 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The breeder boxes have an air line attached that feeds water in to the boxes and an outflow that lets water go back in to the main tank. They're basically low flow HOB air pump filters.. minus the filtration part lol.
I guess it could be a nitrate problem. I'll have to remember to check that maybe... midweek to see what it is.

I accidentally killed one of the larger cory babies today Doing the usual morning cleaning and it swam right in to the air line tube. It was almost too big for it which is what I think killed it b/c it didn't come out right away. I think it got stuck for a few seconds.

They've been ok though. I did lose a couple more of the smaller ones since I last posted but I think they've been overall ok so far.
I think I'm going to be moving the larger fry in to the 40 soon. I was thinking I'd do it today, but I think I'll wait until midweek. I'm going on vacation in a little over a month and need all of the fry to be big enough to survive in the larger tank. We'll be gone for 4 days. I know the larger fish will be ok without eating, but the fry definitely won't be. They're going to have to survive in the bigger tank. Hopefully will come home to the fry still alive and betta still alive. I know cories have spikey fins to keep from being swallowed. Would hate it if the betta tried to eat one and get killed.

Superman betta still isn't eating. He's not bloated, pineconing, no visible signs of infection or anything of the sort. He's just... not eating and I don't know what to do. I've tried feeding him with lights off. Dropping food right on top of him etc but nothing. I have some garlic stuff that I think I'm going to soak some pellets in and see if that will entice him to eat.

Anywho.... just one photo. Baby cory pile

celadon likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #434 of 437 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Had 2 more larger cory fry deaths. Sucked one up yesterday and thought that I had killed another by accident but its tail was fuzzy. And another dead one today spotted this morning.
Prompted me to clean out the box again and transfer the larger ones in to the 40g already

All of the ones from the larger breeder

The 5 largest I let loose

Size comparison of the fry vs the adult cories

My version of Where's Waldo. Where's the Cory Fry??

And finally tank potato. Still going pretty strong. I just trimmed a lot of vines off it this last water change so it looks a little scraggly.
aquanerd13 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #435 of 437 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love the mesh tunnel idea. I might have to do that myself.

Bump: The corys are super cute! What type do you recommend?
lisals likes this.

'Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light' -Albus Dumbledore

'Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you have to keep moving' -Albert Einstein

'When in doubt, water change it out' -Nikolaus(Fishlore)

'Give me a fish and I eat for a day. Teach me to fish and I eat for a lifetime.' -(unknown)

'The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish' -(unknown)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode