My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 282Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I love your journal. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your previous one, as well. Dojo loaches are fascinating fish, and I, too, love them. They are not particularly easy to find in my lfs. I started with three, gosh, it must be 10 years ago now. I am down to only one, but that one is still going strong. Anyway, I thought I would let you know how much I enjoy your thread!
lisals and lisals like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The peppered cories are the main ones I know of that prefer cooler temps. In fact, I bought mine to live in an unheated tank that gets below 64 in the winter months. (But my paradise fish was hogging their food so I moved them). I don't think warmer tank makes them sick, but I've read it will increase their metabolism, they won't live as long, and they might not breed. On the flip side, tank on the warmer end of their temp range makes the fry grow quicker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #18 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I keep my cories in a tank that stays around 70 f., and some have lived to 13 years. The peppered and bronze ones have been the longest lived for me. I have kept peppered, bronze (both brown and albino), julii, bandit, and I just recently added 8 pandas. This is the first time I have kept pandas. I have had the peppered cories breed, and it was when we were away and the thermostat was turned down, so you are right, JJ09, cooler water seems best for breeding. Cories are such great little fish!

post #19 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do the sparkling gourami's have any trouble competing for food?? Your pics pushed me over and I got 3 today. I want to add 3 - 6 more in my 150. If they can handle living with Tiger barbs they shouldn't have any problems with anything I'm going to stock. How does the group dynamic work?

Twin high tech 75's -
post #20 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Do the sparkling gourami's have any trouble competing for food?? Your pics pushed me over and I got 3 today. I want to add 3 - 6 more in my 150. If they can handle living with Tiger barbs they shouldn't have any problems with anything I'm going to stock. How does the group dynamic work?
I have mine in the 40g, not in the 125 with the tiger barbs. I think they would adjust to needing to get their food quickly before the barbs ate it all, but I personally wouldn't even think of putting them in with the barbs. They're not very fast fish and barbs are greedy little turbo charged gluttons.
My 3 are fine with getting food. One isn't as shy as the other 2 and will come to the front of the tank.. eyeball me and eyeball the water surface waiting for food lol. The other 2 come out eventually when they figure out that I'm feeding the tank.
Hope your new little gouramis do well in your tank! I'm sure they're going to love all of that room they're getting

Thanks for the info touch of sky and JJ09! I made a newbie mistake. Really shouldn't have impulse bought the cories, but I was there and saw them and needed them lol.
Disappointed that I may never get babies from them b/c of the warmer water though lol.

touch of sky- Aww thank you for reading my ramblings Dojos aren't that easy to find here either. At least, they weren't before Pet Supermarket opened up. The LFS that I got my 2 from is too far away to go to frequently and they're also not very reliable with fish quality/health. Such a shame really.
Wow, that's awesome that you still have one that is that old. Pic? I love the big full sized hot dog ones lol Mine are slowly getting to their adult sausage sizes

Low tech planted tanks

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
post #21 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lisals, I tried to get a pic of my dojo this morning, and this is the best I could do. He is snoozing in a crypt at the moment. In the photo, he is on a different crypt that is very short, it hugs the substrate. I don't know if that is because the huge jungle val next to it sucks all nutrients from the substrate in that area.

The second photo is where he is snoozing. The small fish are two of the juvenile lemon tetras I just added.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
I have mine in the 40g, not in the 125 with the tiger barbs. I think they would adjust to needing to get their food quickly before the barbs ate it all, but I personally wouldn't even think of putting them in with the barbs. They're not very fast fish and barbs are greedy little turbo charged gluttons.
My 3 are fine with getting food. One isn't as shy as the other 2 and will come to the front of the tank.. eyeball me and eyeball the water surface waiting for food lol. The other 2 come out eventually when they figure out that I'm feeding the tank.
Hope your new little gouramis do well in your tank! I'm sure they're going to love all of that room they're getting

Thanks for the info touch of sky and JJ09! I made a newbie mistake. Really shouldn't have impulse bought the cories, but I was there and saw them and needed them lol.
Disappointed that I may never get babies from them b/c of the warmer water though lol
I, too, am interested in the sparkling gourami. They are lovely. I haven't seen them locally, but they may be at a fish store about 1.25 hours away. I go there occasionally. They have a much larger selection.

If you wanted to breed the cories you could take a group of males and females and put them in a smaller tank and lower the temp with a cool water change. That might spur them on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180123_102904.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	821842  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180123_103134.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	821850  

post #22 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 07:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
Sure, they can be aggressive little turds, but they sure are pretty fish
heh, we call ours "oh that little fat idiot!"
post #23 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

touch of sky- OOO that is one nice looking dojo. Look how long he/she is! And you sure do have some pretty plants too.

agrasyuk- lol... I usually call them something a bit more pg13 and turd is the G version of it

So... I didn't do a water change yesterday as I had planned. Honestly not sure why I didn't... I just... didn't.
But I did do one today in the 5g betta tank.
It also finally occurred to me to check the water parameters. You would think I was a total n00b for how often I forget to do them and the mistakes I make. Geeze.
It's embarrassing to admit to, but well... meh.
Anyway... sure enough.. there was an ammonia reading. I should have known. With the betta's eyes getting the cloudy look... I should've checked parameters then, but I didn't even think of it. Sigh.
Ammonia was at around 0.5. Also checked nitrites and thankfully that was 0.
Dug out 2 of the biomedia ceramic rings from the 40g and stuck them in to the 5g filter. Hopefully that helps.
Still has a good bit of debris getting kicked up and it's frustrating as heck b/c I can't see where it's gathering. I think I get it all, then go to put water back in to the tank and it's everywhere again. Grrr.

Here's a good example of just how much gunk is still in the tank. I did take out more water right after I took this photo. Tried getting more of it out.
Anyway.. you can also see the holes that are in the crypt leaves. Not sure if they're going to melt or maybe they developed because of the ammonia in the water. I dunno. Added more dry ferts and hope it helps to get the crypts to bounce back. Always have more in the 125 and 40g I can replace them with though.

I finally got over some procrastination and cleaned out the media from the 55 (that has been gathering dust now for a few months lol)... and we took it out to the curb. It was picked up yesterday..... Farewell 55g tank. 20+ years old and I'm sure would've lasted even longer, but we just didn't trust it. When my husband took the stand out all I heard was "Good lord".... then he pointed out how he was surprised that the stand could even hold the tank b/c the stand wasn't designed correctly. Instead of the tank resting on the wooden legs, it was resting on the rack part which was only being held in by just normal screws. There was no extra support. Ugh.. that actually makes me a little ill thinking about how close we came to a watery disaster lol.

40g has a lot less algae. Dunno if it's from the SAE or what, but pfft.. whatever is it.. NICE lol

The moss has just gone crazy in this tank too. It felt like it was taking forever at first and now it's starting to grow like it used to in the 55 and 125. I used to have to remove giant fist fulls of this stuff. Looks like I'll be doing that again eventually
There is a tunnel under there somewhere.

And finally... one of my sword plants is a momma! lol Noticed a stem poking up out of the water when I fed the fish this morning So excited! (it's the blurry stem right behind the beggin little oinker barb)
Will be adding more root tablets this weekend I think. Maybe make some more too if the clay hasn't completely dried up

Low tech planted tanks

post #24 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Happy to report that there was no ammonia reading today from the 5g betta tank I'll test again tonight and continue testing for a little while just to make sure things are back to where they should be.

Low tech planted tanks

post #25 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-27-2018, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, lisals. The dojo is between 6-8 inches long. It is hard to estimate length, but he or she is large. My favourite swords are the ozelot, both the red and green versions. You have gorgeous sword plants. I am going to step up my root tab fertilizing!

Good news about the ammonia reading. I hope your betta's eyes return to normal soon.

Do you dose potassium in your betta tank? Often those holes are a potassium deficiency. It will take a while to see an improvement, because it will be the new leaves that look better.
post #26 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
Thanks, lisals. The dojo is between 6-8 inches long. It is hard to estimate length, but he or she is large. My favourite swords are the ozelot, both the red and green versions. You have gorgeous sword plants. I am going to step up my root tab fertilizing!

Good news about the ammonia reading. I hope your betta's eyes return to normal soon.

Do you dose potassium in your betta tank? Often those holes are a potassium deficiency. It will take a while to see an improvement, because it will be the new leaves that look better.
I hadn't been doing any ferts in the betta tank. No idea why I wasn't... just.. wasn't lol. I will definitely start doing it though. Some of them have a few new leaves that look ok. Just going to take a while for everything to bounce back.

Bad news was that there was some ammonia in the betta tank again yesterday. I put a few drops of Prime in to the tank and left it. Tested again today and the ammonia has gone down to almost 0. Looked like there was maybe still a tint of green, but mostly yellow.
Will be doing a small water change in his tank today to get out more of the debris laying around.

I'm telling ya... these DIY root tabs seem to have really helped. I'm sure the dry ferts help a lot too, but I've never had this kind of growth in swords before. Never gotten this big.

Alrighty.. got some water changes to do before the family gets back home. Will update again shortly!

Low tech planted tanks

post #27 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Decided to just do a water change in the 5g. It's raining and I don't feel like bothering with the 2 bigger tanks right now. I'll get to them tomorrow though.
I have a big idea for them though. Well, not big big, but it's gonna help tidy things up.

5g tank after the water change. Things are still a bit cloudy, but the amount of floating debris afterwards is a whole lot less than before. Only a minimal amount. Hopefully by the next water change or 2, I'll get that to where there's none or only just a teeny amount.

I also added a couple of trimming of ludwigia to the tank and trimmed off a lot of the super damaged leaves. Also sucked up a good amount of melted leaf debris too. I'm sure these crypts will bounce back, but wanted to add some healthy plants to the tank in the meantime. Plus the ludwigia will bring a little bit of color Gosh I really want a branchy piece of small wood for this tank! It would look so nice on the right side.
And I did add more dry ferts too.

This was before the water change. The stuff settling on the anubias. It was a lot worse before the last water change. So I'm slowly but surely getting things cleaner

And just a sad lonely pic of the last pygmy cory Poor little thing. Honestly not sure when we'll have money so I can buy all of these fish that I want, but whenever that time comes, I'll try to get more buddies for this lil one. Just hang in there buddy. Go hang out with your bigger cousins in the meantime.
touch of sky and touch of sky like this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #28 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 10:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did you post earlier how you made your DIY root tabs? I would love to know how to do it and get some good growth on my swords!

Your betta tank looks much better. A few more wc's and it will be great. The ludwigia adds a nice pop of colour.

I have a little checkered barb that has led a solitary life. The poor wee fellow was sold to me as a cherry barb. They were juveniles, and he was mixed in with them. I haven't seen checkered barbs around here, so he is on his own. The cherry barbs all dwindled away over the years, but he is still here. He must be ancient now, so living the solitary life hasn't affected him! I hope your little pygmy cory does as well as my barb
post #29 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
Did you post earlier how you made your DIY root tabs? I would love to know how to do it and get some good growth on my swords!

All I did was buy some red clay from Michaels and mixed in Osmocote plus with it. Then pulled off little chunks and dried them out for a few days.
Think I read here in an old thread that red clay would have iron or something in it. Get the air drying type and obviously non-toxic.
If you make them.. they're MESSY if you accidentally pull one up. The clay gets all in the water. Same with putting them in the substrate too. You have to be quick and make sure they get pushed far enough down so the clay doesn't seep in to the water.
Or if you don't want to do that, a lot of folks get empty gel caps and put the osmocote in to those to plant.
Or also you could take some tank water, mix in the osmocote and freeze to make little ice chunks to put in to the substrate. Obviously this would make the tank cold if you put in a lot, but it would be a cheap way to do it.
I like using the clay b/c it keeps the fert pellets in the substrate. with my 40g, when I was setting it up, I just sprinkled the fert on the substrate and mixed it up and then capped it with more sand. Whenever I disturb the sand though the fert pellets come to the surface. It doesn't bother me at all, but I'm sure that would bother a lot of people. I'm sure that would be a problem for the gel caps or ice cubes.

Low tech planted tanks

post #30 of 434 (permalink) Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, I have used osmocote plus gel caps in the past. I wonder if the red clay makes a difference?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode