My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum
 282Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
And my powder blue gourami just died. WTH......
It always breathed rapidly whenever I got close to the tank so that wasn't anything new. Did the water change, added more meds. Came back a little later to check on the cory and saw the gourami laying on its side. Took it out and put it in with the cory. Gourami looked a little bloated, but wasn't pineconing and no obvious signs of it being sick. No spots.. nothing. Checked again just a little bit ago and dead.
I'm just going to stop trying to save anything. Just... this sucks and feels like I take care of my fish, but they get sick and die anyway so.. whatever. Just keep doing my thing and if they die then so be it.
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Planted Member

I've been following your thread for a while and really sympathize. Sometimes it is hard to find the cause of one's issues. Hang in there! What kind of tap water conditioner are you using with your water changes? My established tanks go through mini cycles sometimes when I disturb the substrate during major rescapes. Doesn't feel like your tanks are overstocked. Meds can kill the biofilter so you have to be careful there.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
lisals likes this.
post #168 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
And my powder blue gourami just died. WTH......
It always breathed rapidly whenever I got close to the tank so that wasn't anything new. Did the water change, added more meds. Came back a little later to check on the cory and saw the gourami laying on its side. Took it out and put it in with the cory. Gourami looked a little bloated, but wasn't pineconing and no obvious signs of it being sick. No spots.. nothing. Checked again just a little bit ago and dead.
I'm just going to stop trying to save anything. Just... this sucks and feels like I take care of my fish, but they get sick and die anyway so.. whatever. Just keep doing my thing and if they die then so be it.
I've been there. That's how I felt with my 150. I pretty much threw my hands up in the air. Fortunately my wife worked in the UV sterilizer much much earlier than I expected.
lisals likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #169 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use Prime to condition the water. I'll check the parameters tomorrow, but I really don't disturb the substrate other than sucking up some gunk here and there. Hopefully the meds aren't causing issues with the bacteria.
I'm just so frustrated with my tanks. 5gallon won't stay cycled. 40g was doing ok, but now.. nope.... And 125, I always look for dead fish bc you just never know with it.

Did something stupid and impulsive after the gourami died. Went out and bought 5 more dojos. Quarantining them would've been best and waiting until I had no deaths of course would be good, but meh. My fish we're dying anyway so if they bring something with them, I'll never know the difference. Don't want anything else to die, but just at a point of saying screw it and just doing my own thing now. Just beyond the point of frustration.
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #170 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fricking $#(!*!!
I forgot to plug the 40g filter back in yesterday after the water change!!!
/sobs
Got up to feed the fish and noticed that the water was still cloudy. Thought maybe the meds was causing it so went to get a water sample and noticed there was no water movement and sure enough... filter not on. Heart... dropped.
I don't think the filter empties completely when it's off, but still.. I'm sure a lot of the bacteria probably died.
Also there was a very very slight ammonia reading. Like between the 0 and 0.25 color.
Opened up the FX6 and took out some of the ceramic rings and plopped about 10 in to the 40 and the rest in to the 5g filter along with some gunky filter water.
I have to unplug the filter (along with a heater) b/c once the water drops about 20% the filter starts sputtering so I turn them both off and USUALLY remember to plug them both back in. Sigh......

I also turned the filter up on the 5g. It's adjustable and I was keeping it kind of low so the betta wouldn't be blown around everywhere, but maybe turning it up will keep things cycled finally. I think I'm going to move the betta back in to the 125 until the tank is safe for it to be in. I hate doing it once again, but I also hate keeping him in a tank where the ammonia won't flippin settle down.
Think I'm also just going to take out the cartridge part in the 5g filter. The crap that comes with it. I mean.. tank is already trying to cycle again basically so might as well replace the crap with some better media.

Sigh... I swear though. Someone come save my fish from ME b/c I'm obviously not doing a very good job here :\

With that being said though... here are a couple pics of my dojos! IF they all survive, I can't wait to see what this tank will be like when they're all bigger. GOing to be so much fun

Actually not sure if this is a new one or one of the ones I got before. Looks plump but there was one that was a little heftier than the others.

now for a little game I like to call.. can you spot the dojos??
Saxtonhill and The Dude1 like this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #171 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I've done it so I'm no better, but you need to stop adding fish. You have some kind of pathogen in the tank. You will continue to lose fish and money.
Even if the deaths are acceptable to you there are compounding your problems.
1. Everytime you want to buy a fish out the money in a jar. What are those dojos? $5 a piece? There's $25. The sterilizer is $130 and completely stopped all deaths. Not after a few days, but immediately.
2. Assign each tank a day.. every 7 days to do water change. Do it after everyone is in bed or before they get up.
3. Dont turn anything off. I use a $25 in tank pump attached to tubing. Drop it in the tank and pump water into a tub or garden (my exterior plants have exploded since I started using old tank water to water them). Run the pump until water level is just above the intake point on your filter and stop. Then I switch the pump side into the 27 gallon Tupperware bin filling in bathtub and put outlet tube in the tank and fill back up. Takes me less than 10 minutes even adding ferts and metricide yo fo my 150. You need a system. Your losses will continue if you dont fo this and slowly this feel good hobby will wear you thin. You are missing out on the best stuff!
I really hope you take my advice. As I mentioned to another member. Put it on a 0% interest credit card. Pay it each time you would buy fish. I am TOTALLY against borrowing money especially on credit cards, but I'll borrow it for FREE! I can't get to the majority of my money. I earn 8-9% historically. Some years 12%.
So ya.. I financed some of my car at 1% (until they pissed me off and I paid it ALL OFF). It was funny. They were like oh Mr Thompson you should invest this 75k with us for retirement since your car loan is only 1%. I said no... I have an exceptional broker and I'm paying it off because you tried to tack on some $400 a month insurance thing after you said I didn't provide coverage info which I sent 3 times, brought once IN PERSON, and is on file at the DMV. Why is your insurance $400 a month when mine has the highest limits and additional coverages available and its $117 a month?! Because you are trying to screw people.
ANYWAY.. I hate finance companies. Using their money for free makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

This will SAVE you money no matter how you look at it.
lisals, bettang and Cinnamonamon like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #172 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know.. I KNOW I shouldn't have bought the dojos. It was an impulsive "screw it!" buy.
I'm NOT buying anything for the 40 right now though. Also helps when what you want is expensive and/or the places around you have poor selection too. So it all works out in keeping more impulse buys in check lol.

Are there any UV sterilizers that use their own pump? Or do all the good ones out there need to be hooked up to your filter?
I THINK I read somewhere that some UV that I was looking at wasn't strong enough to hook up to a fx6. Not sure if it was one you mentioned or if it was the same brand but a different model.
I'll have to keep looking, but the sterilizer is going to have to wait until after my 2 kids' birthdays.

Low tech planted tanks

post #173 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OO Looks like Drfostersmith has uv sterilizers for half off AND the aqua hang on one from what I've read is designed to handle high flow rate so if I were to hook it up to the filter, it would be ok. Dang... ok I may have to go ahead. I'll see what else there is, but saving that.
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #174 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

From what I've researched most of the competitors products will not kill pathogens. I would also not exceed 350 gph if you want successful pathogen killing. I actually read peer reviewed journals on the topic. In terms of killing pathogens 99% of the products available are entirely ineffective.
lisals likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #175 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can hook up these UV sterilizers (the one that hangs on the side to be specific) with a water pump right?
I really really don't want to mess with my filters and as you mentioned, the flow rate would probably be too high to do much of anything.
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #176 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alrighty.. so Hubs and I talked it over (more like I mentioned it and he sighed and told me to go ahead and buy it lol) and I ended up ordering the aqua blahblah inline 15w uv sterilizer.
Actually meant to get the hang on one, but clicked on the wrong one and didn't double check. Oh well. I'm sure they both work just as well as the other one so I'm not worried about it. Just gotta figure out a good spot for the output hose and how to put it in the tank neatly.

I also bought a different uv sterilizer for the 40. It had its own powerhead and I just wanted to try it out. Might be a waste of money, but it might not be. We'll see I guess.

Oh and I bought a water pump for the inline one. From what I've seen, it should work no problem. Just gotta buy hose and whatnot once I get everything.... and get hubs to help me set it up lol.
So... We'll see how it goes! Not having to worry about my fish getting sick from some random disease would be nice.

In other news.. I went to Petsmart yesterday to get some supplies for the 5g filter.
Wasn't sure which sponge would be best so bought them both since they were fairly cheap.

Only managed to get the fluval ones in to the filter along with the extra biomax things. That photo is very deceiving though. The bag of the stuff was only half filled :P lol I could've gotten the blue sponge in as well, but it wouldn't have had any water flowing through. Would've just been sitting on top.
So hopefully this helps.

Betta was moved back in to his mesh enclosure in the 125. He'll at least have good quality water at least.

5g is a little cloudy which is to be expected. Ammonia is sitting at around 2 or so and I added in a few shrimp pellets to the filter.

Really hoping the compacta sword along w/ the crypts will start to grow in and fill it out more. The dwarf sag needs to come out. Think I'm going to move it all to the 40 once I get all the sword runners out.

Also bought some more plants at Petsmart. Other than the anubias nana, I wasn't sure what to expect with the other 2. Got them anyway though and looked up info when I got home.

Put the nana on the log in the corner in the 40g. It has a struggling one already there. Hoping it perks back up eventually.
Also put the other anubias in the back of the 40 since it's supposed to get kind of tall. Obviously that's not going to happen for a while, but wanted to put it in it's final spot instead of moving it all around.

And ammonia reading for the 40 was 0 today. Thank goodness. Will keep checking it for the next couple of days to make sure though.

Spread the crypt through all 3 tanks. Think I got 5 or 6 clumps from it. I probably could've gotten more if I had been careful, but I was afraid of pulling off leaves.

Interested to see the colors it develops. I'll have to move some of them to different spots though. Will do that soon.

Of course while I was at the store I had to look at their fish and just... man. You couldn't pay me to buy fish from them. Their tanks looked disgusting which is really unfortunate b/c their tanks used to actually be nice. When we first moved to this area, they had really nice quality. Someone was always there tending to the tanks etc and it seems like within the last 2 years, their quality has gone down the drain. Most of the fish look incredibly sick and unhealthy. Dead fish everywhere and there is almost no one ever back in the area even if you did want to buy something. In the past there was always groups of people wanting to look at the fish.. now.. everyone seems to avoid the area and I could see why.
Just frickin awful.
It sucks that the stores I can buy from are so limited and honestly not that great. Pet Supermarket is pretty nice so far and hopefully will stay that way.
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #177 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Euthanized the 2nd sick cory. Was still alive, but lethargic and wasn't looking like it was getting better. Didn't want to prolong its suffering anymore.

Only 2 left now. Will eventually get more. Just have to find some place that has them for a decent price and that look healthy.
Readings on the 40 are looking good though.

Readings on the 5g are still high ammonia. Haven't checked nitrates though so not sure if there are still some in there. No nitrites but I expect to get that soon since I took out a pretty big chunk of crap media. Oh well. Not in any hurry really.

Low tech planted tanks

post #178 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

40g's uv sterilizer came in today... aaaand.. I can't set it up. Need a bigger power strip b/c I can't plug it up to the wall and there is no room on the current power strip. Need a better one anyway, but BLAH! lol
We're gonna need to go out to Wally World this weekend anyway so I'll pick one up then. Looks pretty nice, but only problem with it is that when the bulb dies... you have to replace the whole frickin thing. Meh... whenever that happens, time to buy a different brand.

How long should I run it for though? 24/7 at first? If so... for how long? A week? Month? couple of months?
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #179 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Is there anything with the sterilizer that says what intensity or wavelength it produces? I ran mine for 24 hours for 2 days. Now it is on for 9 hours per day. I am probably running about 300gph through it.
lisals likes this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #180 of 433 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Is there anything with the sterilizer that says what intensity or wavelength it produces? I ran mine for 24 hours for 2 days. Now it is on for 9 hours per day. I am probably running about 300gph through it.

For the 40g one it is 9w and says it has a flow rate of 200l/hour. 254nm wavelength.

I wasn't sure how long to run it. I'd like to make the bulbs last for as long as possible so wasn't sure if it should stay on ALL the time and how long at first to run it etc. Think a full week of it on 24 hours would be too much?

OO and the 125 one came in just a few mins ago! YAY! Was afraid it would come next week and would have to wait to get hosing and stuff until next weekend. But should be able to get it all this weekend.
Excited to get them both set up!
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode