My messy "low tech" tanks (photo heavy) - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 285Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
And yep... ammonia reading in the 5g. I don't understand why it doesn't stay cycled or more stable I should say. I know HOB filters aren't the best, but it has good media in it. Me doing a big cleaning shouldn't have disturbed things this dang much.
So darn annoyed. I just want a good home for my poor betta!

Dosed his tank with some prime and guess I'll be doing that along with some extra water changes until things settle back down.
I'm very close to getting rid of this tank though. Replace it with the 10g. I would still have to cycle it though which is why I'm not doing it and it would just be another giant hassle. Grrrrr....

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40g breeder, 125g, 5g, ourdoor plant bins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been dosing Prime in the 5g and man.. ammonia reading got way too high. Had planned on doing a water change today anyway. I'm sure the big crypt melting back isn't helping matters, but still.. sheesh.

Cut off a little piece of media from the 40g and put t in the 5g filter. Crammed it in where I could and hope it helps. Dunno what else to do other than what I'm doing.
More frequent water changes definitely.

Just noticed that there is only 1 platy left. Tempted to put it in the 40g, but don't want it to bring any nastiness with it. I share equipment between tanks though so it's not like I've been careful about cross contamination.

I'll have to get some pics of the 125 now that it's not totally filled with sword runners. There are still a few that I've left in to grow a bit more, but I can actually see more stuff now lol. I'll do it later some time. Caught my family's cold and don't feel like doing much of anything.

Low tech planted tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #153 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well that was a nice DAY of no sick fish :\ Fed tanks a little while ago and spotted a pineconing tiger barb. Also has red blotches under its skin.
I have some internal bacterial infection meds that are a year expired, but I'm gonna try it out anyway on the tank. I have to do something b/c this is just ridiculous. I'm not doing anything wrong. Well.. other than putting the new loaches in there lol. But hell...fish were dying before I did that so it's not their fault.
I dunno..... I just... UGH... this is so damn frustrating.
Anyway, so yeah.. going to use this stuff and hope it helps to keep the fish healthy and think I'll save up for a UV sterilizer. It's not going to be the size needed, but maybe if I situate one right it will help enough.

Sigh... I couldn't catch the sick fish. Still has a good bit of spunk in it and was too fast. I'll try again later though. Need to do a water change so maybe I can grab it then and euthanize.
I also snagged the last platy and put it in the 40. Probably the wrong decision but the poor thing is all alone and it might feel less stressed in the 40. Hopefully it doesn't infect all of them, but like I said.. I share stuff between tanks so... meh... just meh.
I can just not win with this crap....

EDIT: Went ahead and bought a UV sterilizer. Cost $37, but it's the right size for the tank and hopefully it will work.
Also bought more kanaplex if I need it. Didn't know you could get it off amazon, but glad I looked.
Sigh.... lets just hope the rest of the fish survive long enough for this crap to work.

Low tech planted tanks

post #154 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Water changes done.
Going to need to do daily water changes on the betta tank to get ammonia down more. It's way too high. Dosing a lot of Prime to help inbetween changes.
Betta seems happy though. A lot happier in his own tank.
Added a sword runner to the tank. Dunno how well it will do, but meh. The dwarf sag isn't doing well. I thought this stuff was supposed to grow well?

Now just have to wait for the crypts to melt and then grow back to fill back in that left side.

40g seems to be doing well. Made sure to vacuum up the filter area really well. A lot of gunk was getting trapped there. Flow on the filter is much better now.
Platy seems to be enjoying its new home too. It inspects the cories whenever one swims up to the surface.
She's not the flashiest platy, but I think she's pretty cute Feel bad that it's just her, but don't plan on getting more any time soon.

Maybe she's holding some fry and will pop some out :P lol Doubt it but we'll see I guess.

New swords are doing well. Uprooted some by accident and they already have some nice roots.

I really want to get some more anubias for the back piece of wood in the left corner. The one that's on it is hanging on, but has a long way to go to look healthy again. Maybe just cover the whole thing with a bunch of nana. I think that would look nice

125... I finally managed to snag the sick barb. Definitely septic. Blood all up under its skin and pineconing like crazy. Will be starting meds tonight with some soaked bloodworms.

In the meantime though... did more trimming. It's nice to actually see individual plants lol.
Like this crypt that was always covered in sword leaves.
I really hope it turns back to how it used to look. Going to slowly trim the taller leaves and hope it encourages it to grow the shorter ones again.

And look at this lil bastard. This lil thing is the reason why I haven't taken out this piece of wood yet lol. The original leaves all died off on it and this is all new growth.

It's ok though. Even though the wood positioning is ugly, it creates this overhang cave type of thing that the fish like.

Spotted a little loach foraging. Just think it's neat how well it blends in with the substrate
For anyone curious, substrate is a mix of play sand, pool filter sand, eco complete, pebbles, and a little bit of crushed coral here and there. It was actually all separated when this tank was first set up, but that didn't last long. Everything got mixed up and meh.. I like it

Thought this was funny too. Noticed one of the loaches swimming up by the filter outputs. Guess it likes hanging out up there. Silly fish!

And finally some tank shots. It does look more yellow b/c I put a bit too much iron in my fert mix. Oops lol

And yep... looks more open and bright now. Still need to remove a few more sword runners, but not in any hurry.
Will be putting the UV thing right smack in the middle. At least that's the plan. If I can't put it there b/c the cord is too short, then it will go on the left side.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #155 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First dose of meds today with some bloodworms. Need to buy more bloodworms. Will be my excuse to go to pet supermarket and maybe possibly buy a few more loaches. Muahahahahaha
Maybe some more cories too if they have some that aren't too expensive.
I really like that store b/c it actually looks like the employees take care of the tanks. They might not be totally knowledgeable and there's this one girl that works there that seems like she thinks she's helpful but comes off a bit condescending and know-it-all lol. But hey.. none of us are perfect Hey... I was saying water PERIMETERS instead of parameters for the longest time rofl.

Anywho... water change in the betta tank. Ammonia looked like it went down just a little, but it was still very very green.
This tank is so damn frustrating but it has so much potential to look decent if it would just stop screwing up!
I'm getting an itch to just buy a ton of plants and fill up this tank and parts of the 40g.
Sat and watched that one for a bit too (while I fed the 125) and the back of that tank really needs.. something. Was hoping the vallis would fill it all in, but pfft, nope. I'm sure the low lighting isn't helping. Hopefully will have a better light on it come Christmas time Or maybe my birthday. I'll have to give hubs some non-subtle, very obvious, not even hints to what I want
Im gonna wait on the plants though. Might take a trip to Petsmart one day to see what they have, but obviously have to wait for cooler weather to get anything shipped.

Remaining fish look ok so far that I could see. All of them eagerly ate the bloodworms. I think I'm going to remove the wood on the left side of the tank. Or situate it over by the other pieces of wood. You can't see them anyway. I think the fish may like them, but meh.. they'll like them somewhere else.
I'd like to maybe move the ozelot sword over there or one of the bigger sword plants around it. May do that next water change Will be a lot of work but kinda getting tired of the same scape. It probably won't look much different than it does now though lol. I dunno.. we'll see what happens!

Low tech planted tanks

post #156 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got in the UV thing today along with the kanaplex. Will be installing it on Sunday or monday. Whenever I do a water change and rearrange Gonna be a big job, but I'm excited to do it. Not really sure how well a sword will do on the left side since that's where the cabomba is, but we'll see I guess. I can always move the cabomba somewhere else. Plant it down and trim it so it doesn't shadow the sword below. I'm either going to move the sword that's in the back with the ozelot or the one that is in front of the fake wood. I'll have to see how much room is on the right side once those pieces of wood are removed.

Looks like I'll need to connect an air pump to the UV thing. Think I have enough to get to it if I put it in the middle, but I haven't checked if the cord is long enough. Meh. Not in any hurry. Just hope it helps.
It's not a great brand though. Didn't realize it when I bought it, but my own fault for not paying attention.
Guess gotta wait and see what happens

Low tech planted tanks

post #157 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok.. how cool is this..
Watch the beginning of the video
https://youtu.be/VfAJ3ITS3Nw

If you don't want to watch it, it's the Aquarium Co-Op guy in someone else's shop and he's watching the guy fill up upside down gatorade type bottles with a little piece of styrofoam in them with CO2. The bottle gets filled with the gas, the foam gets pushed down and he knows he'll have to refill when the foam is up at the top again.
It's not the prettiest, but how frickin brilliant is that? Absolutely no worry about if he's wasting any of the CO2 through bubblers or anything b/c it's slowly being absorbed from the bottles and he gets to use one tank of CO2 on a bunch of his set ups. How smart!
Just so cool and brilliant
If I were to ever start getting co2 again, I would do that. Sure, I'd have bottles floating in my tanks, but I wouldn't have to worry about all of that super expensive equipment.

Low tech planted tanks

post #158 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hopefully the sterilizer works. Unfortunately the science behind it is VERY specific. If the one you purchased is not effective dont think those results represent sterilizes. Can you return it? I am THRILLED with my Aqua UV sterilizer. I have not lost a single fish or noticed the slightest problem with any fish since its incorporation. New they are only about $130... far less than what you've lost on fish and spent on meds. One of the best purchases I've made
lisals and Discusluv like this.
post #159 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll take a look at the aqua stuff. I'm returning the one I bought. Looking in to it more, seems as though a lot of people have problems with the light melting the plastic around it. WTH?
Don't need to be dealing with that mess.
Not getting all my money back though... dern shipping lol. But hey.. at least I'm not losing the total amount.
It's my own fault for not doing more research on it anyway, but at least I hadn't used it yet.
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #160 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisals View Post
I'll take a look at the aqua stuff. I'm returning the one I bought. Looking in to it more, seems as though a lot of people have problems with the light melting the plastic around it. WTH?
Don't need to be dealing with that mess.
Not getting all my money back though... dern shipping lol. But hey.. at least I'm not losing the total amount.
It's my own fault for not doing more research on it anyway, but at least I hadn't used it yet.
Spectrum, intensity, and dwell time are all SUPER specific in order to kill pathogens. Lots of companies sticking a UV bulb in a case and trying to sell crap. It's the way of the world we live in. The problem is you need a sound understanding of microbiology to know this!! Aqua UV 15 watt I think it's the "performance series". It's the least expensive of the Aqua UV 15w models. Push about 300gph through it and you're set. Bulb life is 14 months which is fantastic. I'm sure new bulbs are $50-$60 but I lost $700 on Neons and Lemons because I did not incorporate it sooner. I'm a true believer... at least in this company and its products. I read maybe 20-30 peer reviewed journals to verify their claims as well as their testing results. I think anyone with a substantial investment in fish in a planted tank should consider this product mandatory. I'm very appreciative to @Discusluv for sharing the information with me. It's tough to search through all the junk to find a legitimate product
lisals and Discusluv like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #161 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wish I had had this back in the day when I had an almost total tank wipeout. Sigh.. I still miss those fish.

Anywho. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday. Lol.. that's about the only time other than Christmas that Id feel comfy buying something that pricy. I mean really it's not that bad, but ya know.. 3 kids and responsibilities and all that... boo :P lol
The Dude1 likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #162 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No water changes today. No reason why other than my laziness. Just had the house to myself and didn't feel like doing anything lol.
Not doing it tomorrow either. UPS is picking up the return and kids have gymnastics. Just want to be able to commit a good chunk of uninterrupted time to screwing around with my tank like I want. Well... as uninterrupted as my kids allow. They have tablets to play on though so maybe they'll go zone out with them lol

Betta tank ammonia is still on the rise. I skipped one day of water change and the ammonia jumped back up. Yeesh. I need to put better media in the filter. That's it. I just need to do it so this tank will frickin stop this crap already. There is nothing wrong with the filter, but it needs better media in it to hold more bacteria or something. This shouldn't be a problem still. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.
I think I'm gonna try to get some of the media out of the older filter on the 125. Or actually the newer one would be easier. Whenever I do a water change, I'll do that as well. See about replacing the crappy media that comes with HOB filters with some big cycled bio thingamabobs :P lol

Oh and I told hubs that I wanted a good UV sterilzer for my tank for my birthday. He just gave me that look. The look of defeat b/c he knows that I'm gonna be getting it eventually rofl. Oh.. I'll at least wait until the month of my birthday if no emergency comes up

Low tech planted tanks

post #163 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I haven't done anything yet! lol
Was going to do something today, but kept letting everything distract me and by the time I remembered, I felt it was too late to really get in to it.
I will do it tomorrow though.
I'm gonna get that 125 done though. I don't think it will look too different than it does now lol, but oh well.

Water change on the 40 is delayed. Spotted a cory laying on its side earlier. Went to fetch it out b/c I thought it was dead, but it swam away and I can't find it.
So treating the tank with some kanaplex. Will do a water change on it on Saturday when I'm supposed to redose. I dunno if the kanaplex will do anything for the cory, but I hope it at least helps to keep the other fish from getting sick.
No idea what could be wrong with the cory. There was one before I added in the platy that had some white blotches on it. I managed to catch it and put it in the little breeder thing. It started acting ok so I put it back. Not sure if the current sick one is the same.
/shrugs.

Low tech planted tanks

post #164 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That cory didn't make it. Spotted it yesterday in the corner laying on its side and noticed red under its skin. Went to get it out and it kind of spazzed a little and I'm pretty sure died right then and there, but I clove oiled it anyway just to be sure.
There's something extra sad when a peaceful fish dies. Cories are just so innocent and cute. Sigh...
40g is getting a water change tomorrow and getting another dose of the kanaplex.

125 water change is done though along with a lot of very wet messy rearranging.
Actually wasn't too bad, but holy smokes, the swords I moved (other than the ozelot) had some strong roots and did not want to come up!
Hopefully they bounce back quick.

First, I moved the wood from the left side. Just chunked them where I could.
I then moved a few crypts over to the sides more and removed about 90% of the cabomba in the tank and put that outside.
There's enough in the tank to grow more.
I then took the large sword from the right back and put it in the freed up spot and put the smaller piece of wood in front of it. Not really a big fan of where it is, but meh.

I just want the sword to completely take over the area. Just bush out and look gorgeous over there.

I also put the piece of wood that had the java fern attached to it in the back right. You can't see it anymore which I'm fine with lol. Still gotta figure out what to do with it.
I wasn't going to do anything else, but figured since I had already made a big mess.. might as well keep going.
So I moved the big sword that was in the middle and up front to the back right where the ozelot was and moved the ozelot to where it was.

I should've just left the sword that was back there where it was or scooted it a little over, but oh well.
The wood in the corner up front is the large piece that came from the left side.
I think the sword that were in the front and back were really hindering the growth of the smaller swords beside them. The compacta sword just looks so twisted and sad and the ozelot is the same way.
But look.. you can actually see the ozelot now!

It's looking a bit scraggly b/c a lot of its stems were bent and wonky and it needed some trimming, but it'll bounce back I'm sure. Same for the compacta beside it.

Just a shot of the middle of the tank

Before

And After

Didn't really mean for it to be so symetrical with a big sword on the left, middle and right, but oh well. lol
Maryland Guppy likes this.

Low tech planted tanks

post #165 of 439 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another cory showing same signs of illness as the previous one. Not as far gone as the other but lethargic. Put it in the breeder thing and sprinkled kanaplex right over it. Did a water change as well and added another dose to the 40.
Spotted the other 2 cories and they look ok. No spots on them and not acting ill.
/shrugs

125.... I like it so far. Seems as though the fish like it too. If they didn't see me, the tigers would usually be hanging out in upper right hand corner. But now, they're all over the tank swimming around. Dojos too. They hid all the time unless being fed, but they seem to be coming out more now that I guess they don't have the wood to hide under on the left side. They still have all of the wood and whatnot on the right side though.

5g still acting stupid. I'm just tired of it. Keep doing water changes and it is lowering ammonia but the tank is acting like it's about to cycle.. AGAIN. I don't know... I just don't know...

Low tech planted tanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode