Busting out the old 10 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Busting out the old 10 gallon

So I have been informed; well the my Lfs was informed I have a sick fascination with dwarf puffers and well I have a feeling I will be seeing some soon so in anticipation Iím bringing out an old 10 gallon to scape and cycle ďjust in caseĒ thinking a lot of stem plants in the back ludwigia, wisteria think I spotted hornwort at the lfs I can grab for the back portion. I was also considering ordering in some crypts and grabbing some of sag grass from another tank, thinking of going pretty low tech ďDutchĒ but letís be honest I know me and Iím going to put some hardscape in so Iím not sure it can be classified as such.
As for filtration I think Iím going to go with a aqua clear 20/30 with a intake sponge for this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So tank has been washed filled and partially planted with what I have on hand more to be planted when they actually come in but I wanted to get a head start on cycling

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 AM
Algae Grower

Be sure to update with some pics!

- Zach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrace View Post
Be sure to update with some pics!

Itís not much to look at only a few plants at the moment but as soon as the water clears(filter came in today) I will be sure to post some pictures.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linder25 View Post
Itís not much to look at only a few plants at the moment but as soon as the water clears(filter came in today) I will be sure to post some pictures.

If your in need of hornwort. I have roughly 70 gallons full of it... Time to bring some to market to clear out the tanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDraake View Post
If your in need of hornwort. I have roughly 70 gallons full of it... Time to bring some to market to clear out the tanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks, but I grabbed some at my lfs he had a few bundles each one big enough for this tank and two 20 gallons for like $3. But I appreciate the offer!

Plants currently in the tank (left to right) wisteria, hornwort, ludwigia red, Monte Carlo(will be moved shortly I want it in a different area) and some java fern. All plants are showing signs of growth even with the cloudy water

Last edited by Linder25; 01-06-2018 at 05:55 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So lucky me the filter media I usually keep in the internal sump of another tank was fully cycled and the tank cleared 5 ppm of ammonia to nitrate, actually most of that was eaten as well, in about 24 hours so the tank was drained replanted some and added some more plants and threw a Betta that got into a fight with his tank mates in for a few day to keep the bacteria fed and make sure the cycle was indeed finished. He healed up quickly and yesterday returned to his tank because well the puffers came in and since I will be home for the next few days I can monitor and do water changes as needed. With that said I have a decent sized order of plants coming in soon and Iím leaving out photos for now because, well I like the suspense!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants finally are in and Iím ready to show the tank and puffers off a little!

Plants in the tank no consist of
Wisteria
Red ludwigia
Amazon sword
Hornwort
Java moss
Anubias nana petite
Crypt Parva
Anubias barteri (I think thatís how you spell it)
Monte Carlo
and 2 bulb plants form Petsmart I have had forever and have no idea what they are.
Current stocking is 4 pea puffers, before anybody says anything I know this wonít last as they need more space and isnít my intention to permanently keep all 4 in this 10 gallon. When I picked up the puffers he just gotten them in (still in shipping bag and all) so I grabbed all four with the intent to run some meds through them to deworm (one most definitely has some kind of parasite) select my favorite three and return one to my lfs fat, happy and parasite free! But if I fall in love with all four well I do have space for another 10 gallon tank under this one...... lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode