The Evolution of My 30 Gallon Tank
This is my first post here that isn't an inquiry and I wanted to showcase the progressing story of my fish tank. Back in August I contemplated getting a fish tank after seeing videos of amazing looking aquariums on Youtube; after a few weeks I decided to commit to the endeavor and started to do my "homework". After days of watching Youtube videos, browsing this site and looking up some other sources I went down to the local pet store to buy a tank. I had decided before hand that I was going to get fancy goldfish and figured a 30 gallon tank was a good place to start for two of them; I also prepared for having live plants to further help the water quality.
So I bought a 30 gallon starter kit, a stand, some sand/river rocks, and two plants while my tank was cycling. I also had some bamboo plants that were around the house and decided to add them in there as well.
After about 2 weeks I traveled to a larger fish store and bought two Amazon Sword and a bundle of Hornwort. However, it seems I didn't do quite enough homework as I mistakenly bought two live rocks to add to my freshwater tank. This was my first big blunder as my PH skyrocketed.
After trying chemicals and adding distilled water to the tank I realized the rocks were causing the Ph to soar. To correct the problem, I removed the rocks and did a massive water change (probably 80%). However, during this time my plants started to shoot up; the sword grass started to fill out nicely and my hornwort probably doubled in size over the span of 1 to 2 weeks.
Once the Ph issue was cleared up I was ready to get my fish! In late October I picked out 2 small red Ryukins from the store where I bought the sword and hornwort. At that time I also bought a heater to stabilize the temperature to 70ish degrees.
After reading that goldfish should be getting around 12 hours of light I started to leave my aqaurium lights on for around 11-12 hours. This unfortunately had large consequences on my plants which didn't take well to this and some started to wilt. My other mistake at this time was not trimming my hornwort which was on its way to taking over the tank.
When the light had its way with the plants my hornwort had lost most of their needles and were turning a dull green; my "Asian Water Fern" from Petco had lost most of the small offshoots it was growing (I know that isn't its real name). I decided to do a thorough cleaning and trimming; I threw most of the dead looking hornwort away and kept the greener strands. I also rearranged my sword grass as they were getting caught up in my new filter. The filter I got was a huge upgrade (its rated for a 90 gallon tank, my water is now filtered around 13 times an hour) and I installed a bubble wand to increase aeration and add to the beauty.
In the in the near future I want to add more plants to the tank, as well as, get a center piece (possibly driftwood) for the middle. Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the story and the pictures of the progression of my tank; I hope to show off more of it in the future as I now am fully invested (emotionally) into the hobby and I do like my two fish a lot. I know the setup isn't the most impressive, but this is my first actual aquarium. The pictures are in chronological order ( I apologize in advance for the quality, my phone's camera isn't the greatest)
Filling up the tank
Second batch of plants
Progression of plants
Normal Ph and more plant growth
First day with fish