75G rolling hills planted tank(planning/procurement stage) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
75G rolling hills planted tank(planning/procurement stage)

OK a quick disclaimer:

When the tank goes up I will have plenty of pics. Until then I'm going to use this to keep track of the threads that I'm pulling knowledge and experience from to help me keep track of how I'm going to build this sucker once I have acquired all the materials and am ready to start. Sorry as this is not "yet" a "hey everyone look at my tank/progress thread!". Hopefully this will outline not only my tank's progress but my learning progress as well and will act as a place for me to come back to and retrace what "I" learned and how I learned it so I can revise and build upon it as time progresses. Thanks for being patient!

steps:

1. Build a table to keep 1x 55g, 1x 75g, 1x 30g in the following layout:

|=

The 55g and 75g will be parallel to eachother since they are both 48" long. The 30g will be perpendicular to the 55g/75g since it's 36" long. I can't decide If I am going to keep the tanks on the edge of the table or give make the table bigger which will give me more than 6" of space in between the tanks.

2. Build something that will allow light fixtures to be hung from the ceiling above the table/tanks that will also allow for the height to be adjusted.

3. Move the 55g and 30g to the table (all the details involved in doing that too...)

4. Possibly buff out the scratches in the glass of the tanks... not sure yet since this is going to be a big undertaking/learning/nerve racking process for me:
http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

5. Dry start method (DSM) for the 75g tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...ethod-dsm.html

Tank: 75G (48x18x21) without center brace ($40 off of craigslist, previous owner upgrading to a taller tank for his discus). 55g, 30g, and 75g may be connected depending on my needs and spur of the moment decision making process which usually ends with a catastrophe

Substrate:
local topsoil ($3 a sack weight=err forgot)
eggcrate ($11 from lowes for a 2'X4' piece) (light diffusers) for building very hilly topography while saving on the cost/volume of substrate,
eco-complete ($16/bag+tax free shipping) to cap off the topsoil for its Caution Exchange Capacity. Just ordered a bunch of bags for $16/bag free shipping for $50+ purchase from petco. Deal ends today XD

Filter:
Eheim 2217 (free??, had it for ages and it's still working)

CO2:
Airgas 2 Stage E12-244D cga 320 connector ($48 from ebay) no EOL tank emptying murdering madness for my fish yay!!
Burkery Buna-N solenoid
Metering valve or fine needle valve? hmm not sure which one I want to get yet
bubble checker thinger...
CO2 manifold so I can run CO2 to multiple tanks
CO2 reactor (not 100% on the design yet but leaning towards rexx grig design)
CO2 tubing! Can't forget this

Fauna: TBD (most likely shrimp only) After the tank has settled I'll see what the PH is like. I don't know if I can effect it so early on as to make it either slightly acidic for CRS or more basic for sulawesi shrimp.

Flora:
I would love to implement some of what is going on here (plants and layout) into what I'd like to do with my rolling hills kind of idea:
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/foru...lon-dutch.html

Dwarf Hair Grass 'Belem' (sample acquired)
Utricilaria Gramiitifolia
Hemianthis Callitrichoides (sample acquired)
Eriocaulon sp. not sure which yet as this will probably be the most expensive plants in my tank they will probably be the last ones I try out
Downoi
Rotala Butterfly (sample acquired)

The only plants going in for the DSM would be the carpeting plants.

Whelp, that's it for now... I'll update this as I accumulate more knowledge/ideas while borrowing plenty of wisdom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
by
, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (25/100%)
I demand pictures naaaooow!

j/k looks like a nice plan. =D

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
updates at all?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode