"The Riverside" - Low Maintenance 75 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
"The Riverside" - Low Maintenance 75 Gallon

Haven't been here in awhile but things changed in the hobby for me. The planted high tech 20 long turned into a reef tank, so aquarium maintenance needed to be reduced significantly. To do that, I shut down my Cichlid tank and moved everything from the 55 gallon to the 75 gallon. I also just wanted the cichlids gone because they started to hide every time anything passed by the tank whether it be a human, tiny human (child), dog, or shadow. It was strange because I've had them since they were less than an inch. Who knows why but I needed green back in my tank after two years.

Equipment
- Sunsun HW-304B
- Sunsun HW-303
- Beamswork 30" pent
- Beamswork 48" HE 1W
- Paintball CO2
- GLA Diffuser
- 300W heater
- Universal Rocks "Rocky Background"

Fauna
- 21x Neon Tetra
- 1x Harlequin Rasbora
- 2x SAE (Siamese Algae Eater)
- 2x Striped Raphael Catfish (might need to be rehomed but they seem to be fine)

- 2x Otocinclus
- 1x Angelfish
- Colony of RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp)
- Large hoard of assassin snails

Flora
- Anubias Nana
- Anubias Nana Petite
- Cryptocoryne Spiralis
- Cryptocoryne Parva
- Java Fern
- Amazon Sword
- Subwassertang

After trading the cichlids for some coral , I took out the cichlid sand and cleaned the 75. Previously, the background in the tank was just there being held up by the substrate. Since my plan was to use relatively less substrate, I stuck it into place with silicone. (I used superglue to tack on parts of the top since the background had some holes in it I figured I'll allow venting)

I knew I wanted more elevation than I have ever done in a tank, so I used eggcrate, and ziptied them together to make cubes

Initial hardscape placement. Believe it or not, it didnt change much after this. I used old black gravel and smaller stones to fill in the voids of the leveling cubes

I literally grabbed the sand out of the 55 and threw it in. It was getting late, the fish were in the garage in an old 20 gallon with two canisters on it and I wanted to get them in asap.

Planting (water level high because I wanted to heat as much water as I could before throwing fish in)

Planted

I wanted this to be a fairly low tech tank, but I want the best growth I can get. I found my old EI dosing powders and figured since I'm injecting co2, I should just mixed some up and put them into dosing bottles. Dose when I think the water column needs it. I suspect lighting is pretty low/med with both fixtures so I don't think this will be a problem. Root tabs for the crypts are next on the list.

After the first night, I woke up to subwassertang EVERYWHERE. I blame the catfish. The fix: tie mats onto the smaller manzanita wood I had. No pictures of this process, but I literally placed handfuls on top of the wood and wound dark green sewing thread over all over it then tied it off. I also wanted to see my shrimp more and add amanos when I have the chance, so I traded in my large angel fish for some plants. And here it is tonight.

Just for fun, it used to look like this.

Milkman, Milkman, Williak and 9 others like this.

Last edited by KwhyLE; 01-29-2019 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 11:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That's an impressive makeover!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

Great job.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
It looks great. I like how you built up the height using egg crate.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Just FYI...if you're using CO2 you are high-tech. Not low-tech. CO2 what determines that. Not that is matters what you call it. Looks great either way.
GeorgeTheGuppy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
That's an impressive makeover!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamyers3 View Post
Great job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
It looks great. I like how you built up the height using egg crate.
Thanks y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Just FYI...if you're using CO2 you are high-tech. Not low-tech. CO2 what determines that. Not that is matters what you call it. Looks great either way.
Lol, I consider it low tech because plants in here aren't high demand by any means, light is low/med, I don't and will probably not dose daily and I don't have the auto dosing system running (jebao dp4, saving it for the reef). Also, everything in here was from the 55 gallon that was running off of 2-3 month water change schedule, no ferts, no co2, and low light. But I somewhat agree, its not a true "low tech" but in the way I have run tanks in the past, its very low tech.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Algae Grower

I wish I had seen your egg crate idea when I was rescaping a few days ago!

Your tank looks great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very nice layout, beautifully presented, and one of the quickest, nicest transformations I have seen.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.

------------------
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Definitely a solid medium tech setup, no intense lighting or water change/fertilizing schedules, just a low/medium light and some CO2 with the odd fert dose, I'm looking into doing something similar in the near future. I really like your layout, great job on the makeover.

How are you liking the raphael cats? Mine drove me insane in a planted tank so I ended up getting rid of them. I'm not positive but ammona shrimp might be the perfect snack for raphael cats...

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
I wish I had seen your egg crate idea when I was rescaping a few days ago!

Your tank looks great.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Very nice layout, beautifully presented, and one of the quickest, nicest transformations I have seen.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Definitely a solid medium tech setup, no intense lighting or water change/fertilizing schedules, just a low/medium light and some CO2 with the odd fert dose, I'm looking into doing something similar in the near future. I really like your layout, great job on the makeover.

How are you liking the raphael cats? Mine drove me insane in a planted tank so I ended up getting rid of them. I'm not positive but ammona shrimp might be the perfect snack for raphael cats...
Thanks all!

The raphael cats were purchased the same time I got the cichlids too. They were juvies also and I just couldnt give them up. They're nice and American now... (fat lol). Its funny though, they're big, fat and ugly, but I'm attached to them in a weird way. They were always hiding as well, but that is common behavior for catfish. I would only see them once every other week it seemed like and every time, they were bigger. Under the java fern in the back is a nice long cave for the pair. And last night I saw a lot of the cherries come out since I took the big angel out. With catfish, anything that will fit in their mouths are food, so I'm just feeding fairly heavy so they're not in "hunt" mode. I also feel like I can feed heavy because there are a couple hundred assassin snails in the tank serving as a pretty good clean up crew. When I was moving all the fish over, I realised that I couldn't find a platy that I've had for years. I suspect that it died and got completely polished off by the snails.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I get what you mean by "high tech". When I think of high tech I think of high maintenance. High light, EI dosing, and 30+ppm Co2 causing fast growth and thus more work.

Whatever tech level you want to call it, the tank looks great. I had a medium low light tank with co2 and it was the lowest maintenance tank I ever had. Almost no algae growth and plants grew healthy but not too quick. I would suggest sticking to a consistent fert regiment though since your going with co2. I did 1/5 EI dosing on that tank. I currently have a medium low light grow out tank that gets a double shot of excel (no co2) daily and is dosed at 1/5 EI. The tank gets 1 or 2 water changes a month and is doing pretty well.
Williak, Williak, KwhyLE and 2 others like this.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
That really looks fantastic. Even with no "filling in time" I think it's nicer than anything I've ever done! Great job! I'm also getting away from the cichlid thing... well... at least the common Africans and such.
One of my 75 gallons has some Thomasi and Nigerian Red Kribensis and 3 schools of fish. I can tell you a group of 50+ Neons looks REALLY cool in a 75. I think I've got maybe 20 Cardinals and 35 Neons. Next I'm going to work on getting the Rummynose group to 25.
How do you like subwassertang compared to other moss - like plants? Does it attach to wood and stones?
KwhyLE and KwhyLE like this.

Twin high tech 75's -

Last edited by The Dude1; 01-01-2018 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendust111 View Post
I get what you mean by "high tech". When I think of high tech I think of high maintenance. High light, EI dosing, and 30+ppm Co2 causing fast growth and thus more work.

Whatever tech level you want to call it, the tank looks great. I had a medium low light tank with co2 and it was the lowest maintenance tank I ever had. Almost no algae growth and plants grew healthy but not too quick. I would suggest sticking to a consistent fert regiment though since your going with co2. I did 1/5 EI dosing on that tank. I currently have a medium low light grow out tank that gets a double shot of excel (no co2) daily and is dosed at 1/5 EI. The tank gets 1 or 2 water changes a month and is doing pretty well.
yeah, I mean its not a perfect schedule as in dosing at the same time every time. I just suspect that I'll dose when I feed the fish. I'm tempted to just mix macro/micro together and dose small daily to see how that goes for awhile. Thats what Cory from Aquarium Co-Op's "Easy Green" is. He was discussing it in one of his live streams. (I listen to some of them while I do tank maintenance)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
That really looks fantastic. Even with no "filling in time" I think it's nicer than anything I've ever done! Great job! I'm also getting away from the cichlid thing... well... at least the common Africans and such.
One of my 75 gallons has some Thomasi and Nigerian Red Kribensis and 3 schools of fish. I can tell you a group of 50+ Neons looks REALLY cool in a 75. I think I've got maybe 20 Cardinals and 35 Neons. Next I'm going to work on getting the Rummynose group to 25.
How do you like subwassertang compared to other moss - like plants? Does it attach to wood and stones?
Thanks! Yeah I want to get my harlequin rasbora population up to at least 12, get a good school of otos and amanos. We'll see theres always ideas going through my head for my tanks. Its hard for my reef, because I dont want to keep changing everything in the tank every week. What I've learned in the short amount of time for reefs is to just let them be. Stop dunking my hand in there and everything in the tank including coral/inverts/fish are a lot more sensitive to param swings.

Anywho, subwassertang is super easy for me. I've noticed it likes to attach itself to wood more so than rocks, but it might depend on the type of rock surface. Other mosses are hard. I cant even get java moss to grow. I had Chistmas moss awhile ago and I could only get that growing correctly in high tech conditions. Fissidens wouldnt even grow in high tech.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Interesting... there are so many out there... my Gertude breeding tank is low tech, but my others are high tech.. I want to replace the 5" deep mounds of moss in the Gertrude tank with something more aesthetic and then have some branches coming up out of it reaching the surface with another type of moss. Subwassertang looks unique enough that it might look cool.
Are you planning on adding anything or filling any areas out better? Kind of anti climactic to put a tank together and have it look that killer from day one isn't it?? I mean I would do it if I could, but I don't have the vision. Any thoughts on future stocking?

Twin high tech 75's -
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, lovely tank. Looks like it flows very nicely. More pics would make me love it more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode