Haven't been here in awhile but things changed in the hobby for me. The planted high tech 20 long turned into a reef tank, so aquarium maintenance needed to be reduced significantly. To do that, I shut down my Cichlid tank and moved everything from the 55 gallon to the 75 gallon. I also just wanted the cichlids gone because they started to hide every time anything passed by the tank whether it be a human, tiny human (child), dog, or shadow. It was strange because I've had them since they were less than an inch. Who knows why but I needed green back in my tank after two years.
- Sunsun HW-304B
- Sunsun HW-303
- Beamswork 30" pent
- Beamswork 48" HE 1W
- Paintball CO2
- GLA Diffuser
- 300W heater
- Universal Rocks "Rocky Background"
- 21x Neon Tetra
- 1x Harlequin Rasbora
- 2x SAE (Siamese Algae Eater)
- 2x Striped Raphael Catfish (might need to be rehomed but they seem to be fine)
- 2x Otocinclus
- 1x Angelfish
- Colony of RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp)
- Large hoard of assassin snails
- Anubias Nana
- Anubias Nana Petite
- Cryptocoryne Spiralis
- Cryptocoryne Parva
- Java Fern
- Amazon Sword
After trading the cichlids for some coral
, I took out the cichlid sand and cleaned the 75. Previously, the background in the tank was just there being held up by the substrate. Since my plan was to use relatively less substrate, I stuck it into place with silicone. (I used superglue to tack on parts of the top since the background had some holes in it I figured I'll allow venting)
I knew I wanted more elevation than I have ever done in a tank, so I used eggcrate, and ziptied them together to make cubes
Initial hardscape placement. Believe it or not, it didnt change much after this. I used old black gravel and smaller stones to fill in the voids of the leveling cubes
I literally grabbed the sand out of the 55 and threw it in. It was getting late, the fish were in the garage in an old 20 gallon with two canisters on it and I wanted to get them in asap.
Planting (water level high because I wanted to heat as much water as I could before throwing fish in)
I wanted this to be a fairly low tech tank, but I want the best growth I can get. I found my old EI dosing powders and figured since I'm injecting co2, I should just mixed some up and put them into dosing bottles. Dose when I think the water column needs it. I suspect lighting is pretty low/med with both fixtures so I don't think this will be a problem. Root tabs for the crypts are next on the list.
After the first night, I woke up to subwassertang EVERYWHERE. I blame the catfish. The fix: tie mats onto the smaller manzanita wood I had. No pictures of this process, but I literally placed handfuls on top of the wood and wound dark green sewing thread over all over it then tied it off. I also wanted to see my shrimp more and add amanos when I have the chance, so I traded in my large angel fish for some plants. And here it is tonight.
Just for fun, it used to look like this.