Quag's 3' 25 Gallon - Page 19 - The Planted Tank Forum
 491Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Okay, algae is not bad, but plants are really bad... Completely unsure as to what is happening. The only major thing I have changed would be swapping back to liquid rock tap water, but the symptoms are not lining up...

The bottom of most stem plants, I'm talking the bottom 2"-3"-4" above the substrate are completely melting, and if the plant is only 2"-3"-4" tall... well it completely melts, and I mean completely, 0 left... complete mush:

Ludwigia arcuata:

Ludwigia inclinata var cuba:

Cabomba:

So, what am I dosing?

Tank total volume front load:

20ppm NO3 - KNO3
5ppm PO4 - KH2PO4
12pp K - KNO3 / KH2PO4

No gH boosting - gH of tap water = 17. May need to dose 5ppm Mg... 15 degrees of the 17 is built from Ca according to API tests and rough napkin math. Okay, 5ppm shot of Mg when I get home from work today.

3x weekly:

Fe DTPA 0.15000ppm
Mn 0.05000ppm
B 0.04500ppm
Zn 0.04000ppm
Mo 0.00175ppm
Cu 0.00200ppm
Ni 0.00050ppm

Now, after this week's water change and removal of the mulm, I decided to go back to some extra K. Why? well lowering it seems to work from everyone else, but because I help farmers grow corn, and corn likes to fall over when they don't get enough K (the stems get weak JUST LIKE MY PLANTS and wind snaps the stem near the base) so I matched NO3 dosing and K... We will see this week.

Going to bump CO2 as well...

All is not bad though, at least the dog and mother nature are cooperating

Greggz, chayos00, LRJ and 2 others like this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Now, I would be out here every morning with a cup of coffee. Beautiful view and an amazing dog.
Quagulator likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #273 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Did you go back to tap all at once?

If so, my guess is that might be the cause. IME, plants don't like sudden change. Always better to ease into things like that, and give them time to adjust.

It's similar to plants I get sometimes from tanks with completely different parameters. Not uncommon for them to just flat out melt. And mine have done the same in others tanks. It's like plants get into a groove doing the best with the parameters you are providing.........then change it up too fast and uh oh look out.

As to K, 12 is on the low side, but that's still 24 ppm in the water column figuring on 50% water changes. I was down to about 10 ppm, and noticed growth was much slower, but nothing like you have going there. Bumped it up to 13 ppm and growth became normal again.

I'd try to trim and save what you can give and give it time. Hopefully they will adjust and bounce back.

Now all that being said, who knows could be the new tap or low K.......a combination of both......or maybe something completely different. When it comes to advice around here you get what you pay for!!

------------------

post #274 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Now, I would be out here every morning with a cup of coffee. Beautiful view and an amazing dog.
She is quite a handful, and believe me when I say it would be a miracle if she would actually wake up in time to sit with me while I have my coffee. She seems to enjoy sneaking onto the couch when no one is looking and sleeping until 10:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Did you go back to tap all at once?

If so, my guess is that might be the cause. IME, plants don't like sudden change. Always better to ease into things like that, and give them time to adjust.
No, I made the swap over a course of a month.

50% water change made up of:

Week 1 - 75% RO 25% tap + gH boosted 50% normal rates, no kH boost
Week 2 - 50% RO 50% tap + gH boosted 25% normal rates, no kH boost
Week 3 - 25% RO 75% tap
Week 4 - 0% RO 100% tap

Water is pre-heated to roughly the same temp (according to my calibrated hand) as the tank and conditioned with Seachem Safe. Macro's are dosed into the incoming water.

This was happening just before the swap, but the swap definitely made it very, very noticeable.

I do agree, pick the plants that enjoy what you're serving. That is the next step. Hopefully they can bounce back, what is left anyway and I get to go shopping again

My 30g Journal:

post #275 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Stems still melting... Thought long and hard about what else I may have changed prior to the lower stems beginning to melt.

FLOW! I added the coast-to-coast spray bar and adjusted to flow... So, I added a small Eheim 2213 for circulation purposes with the intake on the opposite side as the main intake / filter driving the heater and reactor and the output directed across the back of the tank....

Adjusted temp slightly up and noticed fish gasping at the surface once it got up to temp, I'm assuming I'm about maxed out on the CO2 if a small temp swing can cause gasping fish. I dialed the temp slightly cooler and the fish are now fine. pH pen is still sitting in Amazon's warehouse, I haven't bothered to order a new one yet... Likely end up with a pH controller anyway once this tank is retired.
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

My 30g Journal:

post #276 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are things looking any better these days?

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #277 of 277 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Are things looking any better these days?
Maybe 15% better if I were to try and out a value on it.

Ludwigia super red mini bottom of stems melting back, but on the other hand I'm seeing new growth on mermaid weed, Lloydellia, crypts, L. hippo, Cabamba 'purple'

Lost all the red cabomba... stunted ludiwiga ovalis... Lots going on still.

I also switched to 6 x weekly micros (DPTA Iron) with the same net total as 3 x weekly.

5 mL doses daily Monday through Saturday instead of 3 x 10 mL doses Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Still might need to switch to Fe gluconate to deal with my 8.2 pH.

My 30g Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode