CR Shrimp/planted cube--update 1/23 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (7/100%)
CR Shrimp/planted cube--update 1/23

Ok, so a friend of mine who is a breeder gave me 4 of these little guys to take care of. Says if I can keep them alive and well for a month, he'll give me 20 more to care for and hopefully breed. Right now, they are living in a little acrylic cube, about 10g I think.

A pic:

Chucked in 2 rocks, a piece of wood, moss, and some stem plants.

It was also a gift from my friend. It came with lighting, but I'm not sure what the lighting is-- it seems to be a small compact flourescent bulb, I think it looks like a 13w. If so, it must have a great build in reflector because the stem plants pearl daily. I'll take a photo under the hood later.

I'd eventually like to make this a display tank and place it on one of those stands that they sell for cubes these days, so I want to know how well plants can grow with it. Watching the stem plants development to take a verdict.

Anyone want to chime in with hints on caring for the shrimp, or making an aquascape that shows them/cares for them well? I don't have much experience with shrimp . . .

Pic:

Last edited by Steven_Chong; 01-23-2005 at 10:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 11:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
substrate?

Are you going to put any sand or other substrate in there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 05:32 PM

any more pics? good luck with the shrimp

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Having no substrate in your tank will make buildup of organics and nitrate less likely, but will make the chance of sudden ammonia spikes much more likely. Is your tank like an eclipse that has built in filtration and a little bio wheel? That would make your tank a lot more stable.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would put substrate in the tank. My 2.5 gallon has about 2 inches of substrate.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Beside previous points, if you want to breed these shrimp, add more Java moss. Cherry's, and I will presume Crystal shrimp really love to get into the Java moss and do their thing. The moss offers protection and a sense of safety. I would also add some fine leafed plants to the set up. My shrimp adore combing through the fine leaves in search of food.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Like I said, right now the tank is filterless, with only the 4 shrimp. I've heard that sponge filters are good for shrimp-- are they easy to hide?

Momo-- so, it should be a tank with lots of moss and hair grass? Or do you mean something more like cabomba?

I thought the wod of moss I got in there was pretty big, but you think I should get more?

That's easy to do though since there's so much of the stuff swamping over my other tanks.

As for substrate, I was thinking of going with a nutrient rich layer and then a layer of this generic substrate that's kind of an eco-complete immitation that one of the LFs sells. I was planning on getting substrate, filtration, and better lighting for christmas . . .
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Momo-- so, it should be a tank with lots of moss and hair grass? Or do you mean something more like cabomba?
Both. I would add some Myriophillium sp. as well.

Quote:
I thought the wod of moss I got in there was pretty big, but you think I should get more?
I would add more.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Some more shots of the shrimp (best I could get):

I don't think they'll be even thinking about breeding for a while though-- they're only about 2/3 the size of the adults . . .
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:54 PM

can well see a full tank shot
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarium boy
can well see a full tank shot
Ask and you will receive. :P

Not a final aquascape. lol

Momo-- I'm thinking of going with a look similar to Amano's "Green Carpet" tank, with just riccia and eliocharis sp. (and large amount of moss added just for the shrimp's sake). Think that'll work?

Hair grass is a plant I feel comfortable with, and I've recently mixed riccia and hair grass in my 5g and so far it's looking pretty good. The riccia is pearling at least.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Oh! Also, I'm thinking about the fauna of the tank. Of course, it's ultimately going to hold a LOT of crystal reds, and they'll probably be the focus of the tank. Besides that, I was thinking of keeping some zebra otos . . . Same breeder friend, says he can find them for me.

Also, wanted to know if pygmy cories will eat shrimp offspring-- crystal reds have no larval stage, but they are very tiny when they hatch. I don't want to keep any fish that will eat the young. However, I thought pygmy cories would be so cool to keep in addition-- especially with their mid-swimming habit.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 PM

i would get full grown corys becuse the shrimp might try to eat them nice tank btw
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

hmm? Pygmies ARE full grown cories-- and I cannot imagine them ever getting eaten by crystal reds. Crystal reds are very small peacefu shrimp like cherrys.

Anyway thanks-- I think this tank is pretty nice in terms of the design of the actual cube. It was a side project by one of the big acrylic tank companies, but they discontinued it because they found producing it was not profitable.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 05:07 PM

o sorry mint corys like the albino or bronse or the green cory if thats what
you are talking about than there ok but i am thinking you are talking
aout the pigmy cory cats that grow 1.5 inches and the others grow
2.0 or 2.5 inches but it your money not mine so if you do get pigmt corys
than i will like to see how it works out and with the shrimp i have not ever
cepe them so i did not know i was just geussing on that good luck

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode