Green Acres, 80 gal high tech - Page 20 - The Planted Tank Forum
 591Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #286 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:03 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Now we gotta stew going!
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #287 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Gumbo!
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #288 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
My 80G frag is a bit more forgiving @ 16" deep, not much though.

Regrettably some stems take a while to reach full potential due to trimming.
Effected are limno aromatica (not mini), pogo kimberly and most other pogo species except erectus (it's in a class all it's own).
I'm pretty sure we're using the same tanks, my water column's a little over an inch below the rim due to the overflow. I'll get around to redoing the plumbing and get a riser for the overflow one of these days. With the smaller water column and 4" substrate at the rear I'm left with a fairly shallow growing zone. I'll be sharpening my scissors for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Phil, that’s siamensis 53B, initially got it from Burr.

The crypt is spiralis ‘red’ which I got from tissue culture, should have no problem growing in your rich substrate.
Thanks for the clarification, I couldn't remember the numerical designation. Ooooh, spiralis? That may be exactly what I need to help with contrast! Thankfully Crypts are one genus I've had a lot of success over the years. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one behaves in this tank. <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Now we gotta stew going!
Yes, a micronutrient stew from all the CSM+B I'm larding on. Colin was gracious enough to make me a dilute formulation to use so I can use up all the CSM I got earlier. I'm half tempted to call up my old prof and see if he'll let me sneak a few water samples in when he runs stuff on the ICP-MS and see what's going on in there with lean water column dosing. Wouldn't that be something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Gumbo!
There aren't any shrimp in there quite yet and I'm a bit afraid to toss andouie in there so soon after setting it up. The rice might be doable though.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #289 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

5.19.19-

The plants are starting to adjust. Some have died, some are melting, some are growing but not thriving, and others are doing really well. Thank you again to @Burr570, @Saxa Tilly, @Immortal1, @Maryland Guppy, and @vvDO! I hope I can do your generosity justice.

As you can see, there's still a significant sediment problem going on. Two and a half years into using Aquasolum is starting to see it break down a bit. I attribute the worst of it to smashing areas when placing hardscape in the past. The plan is still to let everything grow robust enough to pull, trim, and replant. When everything's pulled I'll do a major substrate cleaning and possibly hit is hard with a diatomaceous earth filter if I can get my hands on one. Given the tank's dimension, amount of stems, and required reduced flow, most of the stuff that gets kicked up doesn't stay suspended long enough to get sucked into the filter.

What's new? I've stopped adding nitrate and phosphate to the water column now that the Osmocote has started diffusing upwards, as seen in the diatoms on the substrate's surface. I'm still adding 1 tbsp Florin GH+ and 1/2 tsp baking soda at water changes and have bumped up CO2. I may need to start adding some Calcium pills around some groups since Osmocote doesn't have any. I don't want to put too much in the water to avoid issues with the Rotalas, but some of the other species may need it. For the first time in a long time there's pearling in one of my tanks, wooo!

The dying leaves aren't helping with water quality problems either. Various algae have started rearing their nasty heads on the plants, but there's not a whole lot to be done about that right now. The plants haven't rooted enough yet to not get pulled up and the dust gets kicked up so badly when I swish around the groups that it's not worth messing with things quite yet. To that end, and thanks to a care package from Brightwell, I've started adding Florin Bacter to help with things. This particular bunch of microbes is a blend of bugs that are pretty good at addressing particulate organics as opposed to MicroBacter 7 which is more of a dissolved organics blend. I hope to see some mitigation of issues and a legit cycling over the next couple of weeks as ammonia/ammonium makes its way into the water column. I need to do some digging around in the storage closet to see if I still have samples of resin blends I made at Cobalt. If I do, and I can find one of the CPR media reactors I'll start running an organic adsorbtion resin.

On to the pictures! I really need to figure out a good way to adjust the white balance. On the topic of lighting, do any of you know a good site that sells T5HO bulbs and accepts PayPal? It's time to replace these old guys.

Thanks for watching!
Greggz, vvDO, rzn7z7 and 6 others like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #290 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

5.21.19- First Trim. The Pantanal finally reached the surface and got a good trimming. There are now 5 stems going. The leaves have gotten smaller and less red than the originals, but so far it's looking good to me. Some of the other Ludwigia and a couple of the R. macrandra stems will probably be getting hacked and replanted this weekend.

Algae continue to proliferate and some plants are still mid-adjustment, but things are looking pretty decent all things considered. I noticed a couple of the species were closing up 30-45 minutes before the lights went off so I cut the photoperiod by an hour and kept the CO2 going until about 15 min until lights-out. That should keep CO2 up high for the duration of the photoperiod and reduce illumination when the plants aren't really using it much.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode