Green Acres, 80 gal high tech - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 591Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 290 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you need plants, I might can send a few in 2-3 weeks. I don't have much. I would send out Tuesday, but this crazy cold we are having is preventing it, and my tiny tank is desperate for a trim. The plants have covered the top of the water and are blotting out the light. I can't wait until it warms back up. I'll should have some soon after it is warm enough to ship though. Lemme know.

Ben
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 290 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Back when I had my highly successful colony of RCS I settled on much longer photo periods and fed very sparingly. Once I had hundreds I would split up a single algae tab every 2 or 3 days. I didn't have fish in that tank, but I had a good population of Ramshorn snails. That was the most successful self sustaining tank I ever owned. I went several months without water changes and noted that there was more prolific breeding...
I started with about 20 or 25. Fed a small amount daily and manually removed what was left an hour or so later.. weekly water changes.. shorter photo periods... it was like the tank contradicted every accepted guideline to which we adhere.
I even removed eggs from Corys and Angels and dropped them in there and pretty quickly had to scramble to find homes for all of them.
Thanks for the anecdote. I always appreciate hearing others' experiences. If I were honest with myself, the current goal is still to keep them alive over the long term. Of course, any breeding activity is cause for excitement too. With so little going on in the tank and not allowing myself to make any significant changes to the aquascape, the only thing to get excited about is the shrimp. Not that that's a bad thing though. My new challenge/learning opportunity is keeping shrimp in a full tilt planted tank. That being said, this is a pretty low key system for being "full tilt". The real challenge is going to come when more stems are added and the water chemistry gets to be a bit more dynamic over the course of the week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Belton View Post
If you need plants, I might can send a few in 2-3 weeks. I don't have much. I would send out Tuesday, but this crazy cold we are having is preventing it, and my tiny tank is desperate for a trim. The plants have covered the top of the water and are blotting out the light. I can't wait until it warms back up. I'll should have some soon after it is warm enough to ship though. Lemme know.
Ben
I don't really *need* new plants, but I won't say no either. The mass of Crypts on the left side is getting fairly monolithic and I'd like to break it up visually. Pop me a message when you're ready and we'll chat. I agree, it's been pretty cold down here too.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This tank is going to look so incredible. The happy hordes of shrimp that you will be able to maintain in here are going to look awesome and keep the flora looking amazing. Are you considering a nano fish or any schooling fish?
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

Twin high tech 75's -

post #19 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
This tank is going to look so incredible. The happy hordes of shrimp that you will be able to maintain in here are going to look awesome and keep the flora looking amazing. Are you considering a nano fish or any schooling fish?
Thanks for the faith in the future. If the planned renovation goes as expected, then I think it will turn out to be a nice tank. If not, well, we'll just have to wait and see. A lot has to happen before I can get on that though so it will be some time. Many things will depend on the upcoming treatment schedule, which we'll know more about after my appointment on the 4th. As for fish, I'm still up in the air. I'm leaning toward Pseudomugils as they're my favorite small fish. Which species or mix of species will depend on pricing, availability, and my ability to maintain the tank. Small Rasboras could be cool, but the cost of getting what I'd need for a tank with this much area could be cost prohibitive. A friend has offered to help me get an order done when the time comes which will help with the availability issue. I may go with tetras too depending on what the tank looks like when fully renovated and grown out. Thankfully I've got nothing but time to figure out what would look best and what I'd really want. It's just going to be a shrimp (and snail ) tank for the foreseeable future. I've never had issues keeping any kind of plant appropriate fish so I'm using this time to challenge myself and overcome the difficulties I've had keeping shrimp.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #20 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Thanks for the faith in the future. If the planned renovation goes as expected, then I think it will turn out to be a nice tank. If not, well, we'll just have to wait and see. A lot has to happen before I can get on that though so it will be some time. Many things will depend on the upcoming treatment schedule, which we'll know more about after my appointment on the 4th. As for fish, I'm still up in the air. I'm leaning toward Pseudomugils as they're my favorite small fish. Which species or mix of species will depend on pricing, availability, and my ability to maintain the tank. Small Rasboras could be cool, but the cost of getting what I'd need for a tank with this much area could be cost prohibitive. A friend has offered to help me get an order done when the time comes which will help with the availability issue. I may go with tetras too depending on what the tank looks like when fully renovated and grown out. Thankfully I've got nothing but time to figure out what would look best and what I'd really want. It's just going to be a shrimp (and snail ) tank for the foreseeable future. I've never had issues keeping any kind of plant appropriate fish so I'm using this time to challenge myself and overcome the difficulties I've had keeping shrimp.
Well my wife and I are finally settled and back onto our vacation schedule. We will likely be heading up that way in July and I certainly hope to have a good stock of Gertude by then and I should be able to bring up a group of 10 for you no problem. We will either be going to our place in TN which is probably just a couple hours from you or my uncle's lake house in North Carolina which can't be far from you at all.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #21 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-08-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

1.8.18 Update-

Heya folks,

This is more for myself so I can keep track of timing, but I thought I'd share with you too. The shrimp have colored up nicely. The females are all getting a nice red color and all seem to be saddled to one degree or another. The largest girl dropped her eggs last night and is pretty heavily berried. I've counted about five of each sex so breeding shouldn't be a problem at all. One male's got to be close enough to a female at any given time to sense the pheromones and get to her for some sweet, sweet shrimp lovin'.

On a different note; the Anubias and L. meeboldii got pruned pretty heavily yesterday due to increased GSA growth and/or pinholes from prior neglect getting made larger thanks to the snails. The C. wendtii also got a serious pruning as they were losing a lot of leaves thanks to the transition. They'd handled moving pretty well but I must have hit the roots harder than usual and neglected to remove most of the older leaves as recommended by Jan Bastemeijer as I expected them to be ok like they had before. I was wrong this time.

Some hair algae's started growing amongst the moss and hairgrass so I spent some quality time with The Toothbrush of Algae Doom. I noticed a few things yesterday that are the likely culprits, 1- I forgot to adjust the CO2 when I changed the light schedule so it was turning off two hours before lights-out. That's been changed back to one hour before lights on and lights out (10am to 8pm). 2- The tank's started getting its Winter morning indirect light so I have the CO2 on from 7am to 830am. With a little luck and closer attention the changes to CO2 and adding K2SO4 to the fert regimen should solve the problems. As far as the rest of the plants go, I moved the H. pinn from the right rear corner to the left rear to give it a little more light and better current. It was getting a bit shaded and lacked optimal flow where it was. The Nymphaea however, it loving that spot and is starting to take off. I hope to have it flower eventually. Overall everything's adjusted to the new conditions, has settled in nicely, and is growing.

Still no fish as it's looking like I'll be starting the new treatment in the nearish future and may not be home for a couple of months. I trust my guy, but there's no need to add fish to the equation just yet.

That's about all I've got, thanks for watching.
Phil
Greggz, Greggz, Ben Belton and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 01-11-2018 at 01:39 PM. Reason: .
post #22 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

1.11.18 photo update-

All's continuing to go well with the tank so I don't have much to say regarding it. I did get some photos though while taking filter shots for a friend. Forgive the lack of focus, my hands aren't as steady as they used to be.

Filter!! It's a bit messy in there, but it works.

Thanks for watching,
Phil

post #23 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Phil I've gotta say I am impressed. You have resurrected the tank beautifully.

Really like the layout, and it will only get better as it fills in.

Very, very nice!!

------------------
post #24 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Greg. Ironically, the design wasn't made so much for aesthetics as it was to maximize flow and light in the front 18". Of course it does have to look good too, just not competition good. With it being primarily Anubias, moss, and Crypts tt doesn't need a whole lot of light, but it does need good flow. In hopes of getting better pictures I moved the other two 6400K bulbs next to the center two and am running all 4 at the moment. I know for certain that the tank will do well with just the two middle bulbs and am wondering how it will do with the outer two going instead of the middle. My expectation is that the grass in front and stems in back will appreciate it while the Anubias and moss won't give a rat's behind. I'm looking at two to two and a half weeks before I get locked away for a few months so I need to try it now while I can see any changes.

Cheers,
Phil
Greggz and Greggz like this.

post #25 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Agree that's looking very nice. Everything seems very happy too. I find the layout to be very peaceful and aesthetically pleasing, even though you sorta just slapped it together.

It must be an ability that comes from years and years of scaping, to just naturally put stuff where it looks good...

post #26 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Agree that's looking very nice. Everything seems very happy too. I find the layout to be very peaceful and aesthetically pleasing, even though you sorta just slapped it together.

It must be an ability that comes from years and years of scaping, to just naturally put stuff where it looks good...
My thoughts exactly. This is almost exactly what I want to replicate in my 150. With the driftwood... did you secure them together? Or are they just placed in the areas that you liked? Do you by chance have a photo of just the hardscape? Did you have all of that anubias from the start or did you grow it out, trim it, and then take out the wood and the on new pieces? It just really looks tremendous.

Bump: What is the plant in picture 5? The grape / purple one. It's gorgeous.
Have you decided on fish yet?

Twin high tech 75's -
post #27 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I've been fighting the urge for two days now and I can't take it any longer .

post #28 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

It's just practice, judging tanks, analyzing layout techniques, experience, and s**t luck. Mostly the last one. Working with these same pieces for a few years now helped as well. It's amazing how much paying attention to touch can make a difference. I have no doubts a blind person could make beautiful hardscapes given enough time to touch well made hardscapes and get the feel in his/her hands.

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. This is almost exactly what I want to replicate in my 150. With the driftwood... did you secure them together? Or are they just placed in the areas that you liked? Do you by chance have a photo of just the hardscape? Did you have all of that anubias from the start or did you grow it out, trim it, and then take out the wood and the on new pieces? It just really looks tremendous.

Bump: What is the plant in picture 5? The grape / purple one. It's gorgeous.
Have you decided on fish yet?
Sorry, I don't have pics of the current hardscape. I may have some of previous versions I worked on before the tank got filled. I'll see what I can find.

I didn't really do much to secure the pieces together other than a little bit of inter-weaving of some bits. They're mostly just shoved down into the substrate with a rock here or there for added stability. I started by placing the large rear piece then just played with the others until I found a position I thought would be good. Most of the positioning was dictated by the Anubias. I did remove some of the bunches to allow a wider array of angle options though. Rather than making an even larger mudhole out of the tank, most of the positioning was done out of the water before placing the piece in the tank.

The Anubias came from Esther at Aqvinnova a couple years ago when she was at a trade show. For the most part the Anubias hasn't been trimmed except when it got too big for its space. I did have to take them all off the wood at one point to give the wood a major cleaning, but they've been in those positions since then for the most part. Most of the stuff down in the rocks in front and one or two bunches in the very back were placed after the rescape. If you look carefully you can see twist ties where the new plants are. Thanks for the compliments on it, but I really can't take credit. The plants were of very high quality to start with and respond well to getting good current around their roots. All I did was place them on the wood so they got good flow and they did the rest.

That plant is Laegenandra meeboldi 'Pink'. It's a bit pinker in person. No, I haven't settled on fish yet. The guy who was going to take care of my tank while I'm away is going to be on a work trip and vacation during a chunk of that time. If I'm able to find someone else I trust to fill in the gaps I'll keep the tank running. If not, I may take it down. If I can convince myself to just let go and accept that it'll go to hell because of those breaks and that it'll need serious TLC afterward I'll keep it going. The hard part is it's doing so well now that I have a hard time thinking of it "dying". I tend to be an all or nothing thinker when it comes to a lot of things, especially my tanks. Plus, I don't know how much work I'll be able to do on it when I get back due to the infection risk. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
I've been fighting the urge for two days now and I can't take it any longer .

"Green Acres" Opening and Closing Theme Song - YouTube
HAHAHAH, YES! Someone finally did it. This is a farm tank, so what better name than Green Acres?
Greggz, Greggz, burr740 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 01-12-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: .
post #29 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@The Dude1 Here are the pictures of past hardscapes that I could find. Documenting hardscaping wasn't the fashion back when I took the earlier ones so you'll need to use your imagination. You'll see a trend/theme to a lot of them. I grew up in Washington state surrounded by trees/logs covered in mosses and tons of ferns in the understory. That's had a profound effect on my personal aesthetic. I've spent nearly all of my non-biotope aquascaping life trying to recreate different images of that landscape. Mossed wood and epiphytes are especially important to me when it comes to feeling an aquascape is complete.

2002 "West Africa biotope" - back then we didn't have nearly the resources we do now as far as making biotopes goes. This was just two pieces of Mopani wood and a few rocks.

2003 Discus tank - Moss was left out to avoid algae issues due to the high protein discus food. The wood came from an online vendor that's since shut down. I think they were collecting from a swamp somewhere.

2008 75g Nature Aquarium. Not sure what kind of wood this is or where I got it.

2008 90g Nature Aquarium

2008 20g Nature Aquarium

You can see from these three tanks compared to the more recent ones how much having access to quality hardscape materials makes. The technique is still the same as the current 80g, but the materials make a HUGE difference.

2008 Rio Atrato biotope - I was really hoping the swords would grow out of the top rather than stay in submergent form. The wood came from the 75 and 90 when I rescaped them.

2010 Aquatic plant project, aka Soul Eater, aka Master's research; my largest scale plant growing project to date. Started out with 1287 plants/cuttings/tubers and ended up with 396. We started with three replicates per bucket to make sure at least one of them survived then removed two after three weeks. I have to laugh when fish folks complain about having to run airline. I think I ran somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 mile to 396 buckets, each one separately controlled by its own needle valve, for this project.

2013 Reef rockwork - This was one of the few rock-only aquascapes I've done. I'm not a huge fan of iwagumi style 'scapes. It was 90% of the way there until my boss called and asked for the protein skimmer I was going to use.

For @burr740 How to dry start a 300g Dutch tank. This one was unfortunately halted when the company moved to a different state and had to be torn down before it could be filled. The idea was to let everything grow as much as it could before cutting all the stems down to about an inch before filling.

2015 60g that was once the to-be reef. This is when I was finally able to start making my previous vision(s) a reality. These are the four original pieces that have made the foundation for most of my scapes since. It's probably my second favorite wood arrangement and I may try to do something similar again in the future. From 2013 until the move it had been a plant only tank. No hardscape, no showie.

2016 80g original hardscape - I was pretty happy with this until I bumped a piece while hanging the lights and knocked the whole right side down. That turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I got a couple of smaller pieces of spiderwood from the store I used to work at, which made a huge difference. I love, love, love the look of lots of branches interwoven around each other.

Post knockdown rearrangement testing. Not so great.

Final rearrangement and what I think is the best hardscape I've ever done. This one fit the image I've had in my head for years perfectly while still leaving room for good circular flow around the tank. I really wish I'd had the patience to sit on my hands with this one. The planting was great but issues with CO2 and the usual algae breakout with a new tank frustrated me so much that I tinkered it to death and ended up tearing it all down.

You can see in this last picture the old T5 fixture I had. Wish I'd kept this too instead of selling it to get the Radeons. It really was the perfect plant fixture; 6 bulbs on two independent circuits. The front two, one middle, and one at the far rear were on one with the two others spaced between them. Great light with great bulb arrangement.

Pictures of the wood when trying to sell the plants. I may have been so pissed off that I was trying to sell the "planted wood" too. Can't remember.

2016 5 rock, 30 minute iwagumi challenge. As I said above, I'm not a fan of iwagumi, but I had an empty tank, extra plants, soil, and rocks so I figured I'd challenge myself to using just those materials to do a scape in under 30 minutes. I'm the kind of person who can easily fall into the trap of doing only one or two things until I've "mastered" it, so to speak. In the interest of being more well rounded I figured I should do a rockscape.

Here it is planted doing a dry start. I really didn't need another wet tank to care for so this was the simple choice.

Another terrarium/dry start tank using extra rock and plants. This one was more carefully thought out with the theme of an ancient cobblestone/rock road that's had generations of plants growing up through the spaces. Think an old Roman road going through an English forest. This one also stayed unfilled.

Finally, a big chunk of wood I grabbed at work. I'll probably end up using it in the 80g once the spiderwood has rotted away.

Thanks for watching,
Phil
Greggz, Greggz, Ben Belton and 9 others like this.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 01-12-2018 at 11:50 AM. Reason: .
post #30 of 290 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Phil great post and history lesson.

All of the tanks are great in their own way.

But that Discus tank is simply spectacular. Gave me a "wow" moment there.

Perfectly executed!

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode