Green Acres, 80 gal high tech - Page 19 - The Planted Tank Forum
 707Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Making Osmocote gelcaps is a pain.
vvDO, Quagulator and Rogue 1 like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

5.14.19-

The plants from @Saxa Tilly and @Immortal1 came in yesterday and got put in the tank. Waiting on one more from @vvDO and am praying there's enough room for them.

What's been done since last post?

1. Moved the return back to the center of the tank and turned down output to about 70%. This has helped improve flow throughout the tank and kept plants from getting blown sideways. The side effect is more suspended sediment is settling back down on the rocks and some plants. Once everything's settled in and rooted I'm going to try putting my MP10 in there to get as much dust into the filter as possible.

2. Taped up part of the sump. Even if this doesn't do much for increasing CO2 efficiency it's helped to reduce noise in the living room.

3. Added about 40 Osmocote Plus gelcaps around the different groups of plants. Some were put inside groups that are more spread out and others were put on the edges of more tightly packed groups, like the Crypts. All were put down as deep as I could get.

4. Added 1/2 tsp KNO3, approx. 1/8 tsp KH2PO4, approx 1/32 tsp CSM+B, and approx 0.01ppm Brightwell Ferrion that's in both +2 and +3 forms. The intention is to get some amount of nutrients in their until the Osmocote takes off. I'll likely continue dosing this until the plants show that they don't need it anymore. Since Osmocote doesn't have Ca in it I'll continue adding GH booster with water changes and may need to add either Calcium Sulfate or Calcium Ammonium Nitrate salt in small doses if it looks like it's needed.

5. Planted, of course!

My overall goal is to cut way back on water column supplementation in the hopes it will help the widest variety of plants grow. As easy as it is to dose dries I'm not feeling like messing with it as the sole source of nutrition these days and hope to use them only as supplements to address acute issues. Also, I'm not sure what sort of animals are going to end up in there so I want to keep water chemistry as neutral as possible to give more options when the time comes.

PICTURES!!!

Once the stuff from Vinny (vvDO) comes in the hard part begins; keeping my hands out of the tank until it's time to trim.
Greggz, rzn7z7, burr740 and 5 others like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #273 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 PM
Captain

Great group of pics Phil! Nice to see the various plants survived the USPS. Should grow in nicely. Really curious how your substrate dosing goes long term. Also, thank-you :-)

post #274 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good to see the tank resurrected!

That's quite a turn around in a short amount of time.

Looking forward to seeing where things go from here.
Phil Edwards likes this.

------------------
post #275 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Gregg. Given my poor track record with this tank I'm going to hold off judgement for a couple months until after everything's grown in and placed in a more permanent location.

Vinny's sending some Hygrophila something or other and Blyxa japonica. Once that's in, that's it. No new plants except perhaps some H. pinnatifida and/or a small Saggiteria if it needs some more dark and/or strappy stuff.
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 05-14-2019 at 08:21 PM. Reason: .
post #276 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Making Osmocote gelcaps is a pain.
Just curious, what's your technique? When I made a bunch, I'd sit with a bowl of osmocote in front of me, bowl of empty gelcaps on my left, finished products on my right. Then I'd zone out to some Hulu or YouTube while picking up an empty cap, separating it, running the small side thru the osmocote bowl like a scoop, put big side of cap on, then drop in bowl on the right. Found that way easier than trying to funnel or pour the beads into the caps
Phil Edwards likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #277 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Just curious, what's your technique? When I made a bunch, I'd sit with a bowl of osmocote in front of me, bowl of empty gelcaps on my left, finished products on my right. Then I'd zone out to some Hulu or YouTube while picking up an empty cap, separating it, running the small side thru the osmocote bowl like a scoop, put big side of cap on, then drop in bowl on the right. Found that way easier than trying to funnel or pour the beads into the caps
That's exactly how I did it. It's just a tedious task and I'm a nitpicky perfectionist who doesn't like to see a gelcap that's not completely full so I end up paying more attention to the process than is reasonable.

post #278 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey all,

A bunch of you have been asking to see a copy of my thesis lately so I did a little digging around and found an early draft. Please keep in mind that this is a rough draft so there are all sorts of grammatical errors, but the graphs are the final copies and it's pretty much a complete document. I had to do some last minute revisions prior to the defense, but it appears that document is lost to the ether.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dkz...ew?usp=sharing

In the interest of documentation, I decided to put some gelcaps up against the glass away from plants to see what's going on with them over time. I'll get some pictures once lighting is better.

post #279 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

5.15.19-

Initial planting is DONE! @vvDO sent a very generous portion of Blyxia japonica with some stems of H. siamensis (?) with AMAZING roots, and a Cryptocoryne ihavenoideawhatitis. There is officially no more room in the inn. Now the process of waiting, seeing what lives, growing them out, and eventual aquascaping begins. I can already tell that the species count is going to get thinned out quite a bit. Time to prepare to set up some outdoor tubs and a new tank.

Junky FTS for giggles. It got a lot dustier in there than I thought from just planting a small amount of stuff. It's going to get a righteous vacuuming when it's time to pull everything and replant. Ooof! Better pictures will come when things clear up.

Full size 00 Osmocote+ gelcap.

I'm really interested to see if a ring of oxidized iron forms. The last time I used Aquasoil there was a distinct band of it about 2 inches from the substrate surface. The protein from the gelcap should spur some strong microbial growth too so there might be some really interesting stuff to see as time goes by.

That's all for now folks!
Greggz, Immortal1 and tredford like this.

post #280 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great Phil!

Remind me of the lighting setup you are running??

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #281 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Agrobrite 6x T5HO only running 4x 6500K 54w for 6 hrs/day at 20 inches or so above the water's surface. It's getting to be time to replace the bulbs.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #282 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
only running 4x 6500K 54w for 6 hrs/day at 20 inches or so above the water's surface.
I hope you got your seat belt on........looks like it should be quite a ride!
Maryland Guppy likes this.

------------------
post #283 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I hope you got your seat belt on........looks like it should be quite a ride!
I hope not! It's dangerous enough having all these stems in 10-12 inches of water. The last thing I need is nuclear lighting. LOL

post #284 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Kind of like a frag tank for sure.
Sharpen them scissors!

My 80G frag is a bit more forgiving @ 16" deep, not much though.

Regrettably some stems take a while to reach full potential due to trimming.
Effected are limno aromatica (not mini), pogo kimberly and most other pogo species except erectus (it's in a class all it's own).
Phil Edwards and Greggz like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #285 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
5.15.19-

Initial planting is DONE! @vvDO sent a very generous portion of Blyxia japonica with some stems of H. siamensis (?) with AMAZING roots, and a Cryptocoryne ihavenoideawhatitis. There is officially no more room in the inn.

Phil, thatís siamensis 53B, initially got it from Burr.

The crypt is spiralis Ďredí which I got from tissue culture, should have no problem growing in your rich substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode