Sadly the wood isn't going to work. If I had another piece or two I could have come up with something. Alone it only unbalances the tank. Now I get to play with some rock to accent what's going to end up basically being a plant only tank with no real hardscape. It's kind of sad as I'm staunchly on the woodscape side of the fence but needs must. Hopefully my meager rockworking skills will be up to the task. I sure am glad I only broke down a couple of the worst looking big rocks and still have the best of the bunch available for scaping.
It sounds like you're enjoying the convention. There's nothing like going to an AGA to recharge the batteries and motivate one to improve and/or try new things. I hope you get a chance to sit in on the Sunday auction; those things are a ton of fun. I'm still jealous you were able to go.
Change log; what did I actually do?
1. Removed all of the water out of the tank and did a few rounds of wet/dry vacuuming of water that drained out of the soil every 15 minutes or so.
2. Dropped a bunch of quartered fert sticks onto the glass in the front, covered that with about an inch of substrate and gave it a heavy spray of a mix of Flourish Advanced (plant growth hormones) and the last of the Floraspore fungi spore powder. I then pulled all the substrate from the back half except for about an inch, dropped the rest of the tab bits down, covered that with about an inch of substrate, sprayed it heavily, then sloped the substrate.
3. Once I figured out the wood wasn't going to work I did an initial tidying up of the substrate and then sprayed the remaining mixture all over the surface and will be letting it sit overnight.
4. Tomorrow (5.5) I'll be playing with the rock, doing the final substrate tidying, planting what I have, and filling the tank. After that it's a matter of playing the waiting game.