Green Acres, 80 gal high tech - Page 17 - The Planted Tank Forum
 707Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I recently moved all plants from a capped soil substrate to an inert BDBS 2" thick substrate.

The result was pearling algae covered plants.
Rather than play with the tank I purchased AlgaeFix.
Having never used such a product in the past, would I use it again?
Most definitely, expedited the situation very quickly vs. the potential loss of many plants.
Granted this bottle will now sit for a long time but that one shot saved $$$ of loss!
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
@Maryland Guppy,

I'd argue that you're in the group of folks who know what's going on in a plant tank already and for whom products like AlgaeFix are a useful short term aid rather than a long term crutch. You're not the kind of person I'd be giving a presentation like this to anyway as you could probably teach me a thing or two, too.

Yes, I'm in charge of Clippings. Yes, I know the lady in the HGTV clip gave bad advice about fish; I assumed that most AGA folks know better.
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #243 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

4.29.19-

Still clean after a few days.

I added 1/4 tsp KNO3 today to give the Anubias something to chew on. Other than that and some fish food nothing's gone in the tank since the last update.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #244 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:39 PM
Captain

Pretty impressive turn around from those pics you first posted! I'm still amazed at all the Crinum you have in there :-)
Really need to get a pic of my friends 180g tank with the 4'+ Crinum in it.

post #245 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Captain

She finally posted a decent pic :-) First pic was 3 years ago. About 1 year ago I convinced her to add real plants.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Angie_180_Crinum.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	881201  

tredford likes this.

post #246 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Wow, that guy's got plenty of space to spread out! I've got a nagging suspicion that I'm going to have to get rid of mine before they can get close to being that big. The monster you sent pretty much covered up the surface and that was before I raised the substrate way up in the back.
Immortal1 likes this.

post #247 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:39 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Wow, that guy's got plenty of space to spread out! I've got a nagging suspicion that I'm going to have to get rid of mine before they can get close to being that big. The monster you sent pretty much covered up the surface and that was before I raised the substrate way up in the back.
Given the size of the root structure on the monster crinum, and thinking about how many you have, I would almost guess your entire substrate being roots if the ones you have ever got that big.
Granted, if you're not lazy like me you can selectively pull each plant, trim things up and then re-plant. Yeah, I'm not that ambitious

post #248 of 344 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Given the size of the root structure on the monster crinum, and thinking about how many you have, I would almost guess your entire substrate being roots if the ones you have ever got that big.
Granted, if you're not lazy like me you can selectively pull each plant, trim things up and then re-plant. Yeah, I'm not that ambitious

I just uprooted my big Crinum. Stem was greater than 2 thick, I could not plant anything close by... was like planting in rock the roots were so thick. That was in a 40 breeder. It should flower within a year. As far as I can tell it was not self fertile, so you may need multiple plants flowering or need to save a flower(freeze).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #249 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
GI would almost guess your entire substrate being roots if the ones you have ever got that big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
I just uprooted my big Crinum. Stem was greater than 2 thick, I could not plant anything close by... was like planting in rock the roots were so thick.

They may not be in there long enough for that, but it'll be interesting to see how much space they take up with 2 cubic feet of substrate to grow in. MUAHAHAHA
Immortal1 likes this.

post #250 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
They may not be in there long enough for that, but it'll be interesting to see how much space they take up with 2 cubic feet of substrate to grow in. MUAHAHAHA

Soon enough you will know how Rapunzel felt... tangled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #251 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sooooooooooo, I've been offered plants by friends at the AGA convention and need to make some room in the tank. While digging around in the storage closet I found a nice big piece of wood I'd shoved in there. Add a good dose of boredom to the mix and the three combined equal a full tank redo. The wife and I visited my parents to drop off an early Mother's Day gift and I grabbed a masonry chisel and sledge from dad. I now have a bunch of smaller rocks to scape with rather than a group of giant stones. Things could get interesting!

Photos to come once things are arranged and the glass and water are clean enough to see through.
Maryland Guppy and Immortal1 like this.

post #252 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 12:41 AM
Captain

Hmmm. So I have only the option of "like". What if I like very much? Guess I will have to type that here instead :-)
Good to have friends in the right place at the right time - look forward to what you come up with. Just finished listening to Dennis Wong's presentation and now I have a picture of your basic tank in my minds eye....

post #253 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sadly the wood isn't going to work. If I had another piece or two I could have come up with something. Alone it only unbalances the tank. Now I get to play with some rock to accent what's going to end up basically being a plant only tank with no real hardscape. It's kind of sad as I'm staunchly on the woodscape side of the fence but needs must. Hopefully my meager rockworking skills will be up to the task. I sure am glad I only broke down a couple of the worst looking big rocks and still have the best of the bunch available for scaping.

It sounds like you're enjoying the convention. There's nothing like going to an AGA to recharge the batteries and motivate one to improve and/or try new things. I hope you get a chance to sit in on the Sunday auction; those things are a ton of fun. I'm still jealous you were able to go.

Change log; what did I actually do?

1. Removed all of the water out of the tank and did a few rounds of wet/dry vacuuming of water that drained out of the soil every 15 minutes or so.

2. Dropped a bunch of quartered fert sticks onto the glass in the front, covered that with about an inch of substrate and gave it a heavy spray of a mix of Flourish Advanced (plant growth hormones) and the last of the Floraspore fungi spore powder. I then pulled all the substrate from the back half except for about an inch, dropped the rest of the tab bits down, covered that with about an inch of substrate, sprayed it heavily, then sloped the substrate.

3. Once I figured out the wood wasn't going to work I did an initial tidying up of the substrate and then sprayed the remaining mixture all over the surface and will be letting it sit overnight.

4. Tomorrow (5.5) I'll be playing with the rock, doing the final substrate tidying, planting what I have, and filling the tank. After that it's a matter of playing the waiting game.
Greggz, Immortal1 and vijay_06 like this.

post #254 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Visual association is real. I've been looking through different journals here and there trying to figure out what else I want to put in the tank and every time I see Monte Carlo, S. repens, and L. aromatica 'mini' I feel sick. The tank had a lot of those in it when I was going through chemo. @Immortal1 have you experienced something similar?
Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

post #255 of 344 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Visual association is real. I've been looking through different journals here and there trying to figure out what else I want to put in the tank and every time I see Monte Carlo, S. repens, and L. aromatica 'mini' I feel sick. The tank had a lot of those in it when I was going through chemo. @Immortal1 have you experienced something similar?
Yes, I have. At the moment, I feel like I have a much better handle on the variables of plant keeping and I think back to all the various plants I have received that I no longer have cause I killed them off.

Something that I just received from Maryland Guppy is Ludwigia polycarpa. His comment to me was "Polycarpa can have 3 colors to a stem. Lower greens, midrange orange, and deep red tops."
Might be a pretty cool addition to your new arrangement.

Joe also sent me some "Hygrophila serpylla, easy carpeting plant. Only been in the hobby for about a year, not many folks have it yet. it'll spread across the bottom with a few wild shoots growing up in the air. Just pinch those off and replant them on the edges." Can imagine you having a large grouping of that in your new collection
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode