Green Acres, 80 gal high tech - Page 13 - The Planted Tank Forum
 591Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Damn, dude, I'm sorry to hear about all of that. Those sorts of family issues always weigh heavily on the heart. I hope things get better for you sooner rather than later.
Sorry Phil. I wasn't prepared for May. Things are good for me. I'm grateful. So what is your treatment schedule going forward? How long do you have before the next round? I'm hoping it's long enough for you to get the tank stocked and maybe have some fry popping up. If the luminatus are anything like Gertrude you'll have little fry popping up every few days. I would love to try pseudomugil's again in something like a fully covered 20 long. I would be first in line for fry!
mbkemp, mbkemp, Záyne and 1 others like this.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Whelp, it looks like I've got to trim the Myriophyllum tomorrow and the Pantanal pretty soon. Hooray for shallow tanks!

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
@Phil Edwards I was criticized by some for planting a frag tank.
Phil Edwards and Phil Edwards like this.

Growing is not that difficult.

post #184 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Whelp, it looks like I've got to trim the Myriophyllum tomorrow and the Pantanal pretty soon. Hooray for shallow tanks!
Look out once they really get going you better keep those scissors sharp!!

------------------
post #185 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Look out once they really get going you better keep those scissors sharp!!
It's not something I mind doing and I'm glad to do it. Myrio's not a slow grower under just about any circumstance.
Greggz and Greggz like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #186 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Sooooo, I just got a care package from my friend at Brightwell...4Kg of Florin Delta GH+. I don't think I'll be needing a GH booster for quite some time and it means I can foist the liquids on Kyle for his reef. Yeay!

post #187 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
@Phil Edwards I was criticized by some for planting a frag tank.
Ha ha ha. It's the same dimensions as George Farmer's Aquascaper 1200! Then again, I don't think he grows stems in his...

post #188 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Interesting observation; after seeing lots of microbubbles coming out of the outlet yesterday I decided to close the valve on the reactor a bit more today while servicing the sump. There's noticeable gas build up in the reactor, but the plants are pearling like mad. I did a water change too, so we'll see over the next few days if what I'm hearing now is air left over from the reactor draining and "water change pearling" or if the build up and/or pearling persists. If I can turn the gas down a bit, I'll be a happy boy.

Cheers,
Phil

post #189 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Interesting observation; after seeing lots of microbubbles coming out of the outlet yesterday I decided to close the valve on the reactor a bit more today while servicing the sump. There's noticeable gas build up in the reactor, but the plants are pearling like mad.
Particularly don't like the micro-bubble thing myself.

My reactor lets out a little burp every 3-4 hours accompanied with a sort of squeal.
My listening indicator to know that CO2 is working properly.

Pearling on all plants all the time but not like mad.
I can make it that way but they grow quick enough!

The very patient aquarist I am, alter 1 thing @ a time very rarely.
Even when something starts to go "south" I let it go for a bit.
Many are too reactive and never embrace the issue, change all sorts of dosing and such.
#1 line of defense is a good trim and cleanup of one's tank! Then pass judgement.
Greggz, Greggz, Immortal1 and 3 others like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #190 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
My reactor lets out a little burp every 3-4 hours accompanied with a sort of squeal.
My listening indicator to know that CO2 is working properly.
If my Cerges did that I'd think there was something wrong.

I'm pretty sure the bubbles were the result of turning up the gas for while I was away. I wanted to make sure there was plenty getting to the plants so Kyle, Will, and I wouldn't have to worry about that variable. With the way the tank was set up, microbubbles/poor man's glass diffuser, were a good way to distribute the extra gas. Now that the tank's changed completely it's not quite so good a method. My eyes aren't as good as they used to be so I didn't really notice them, or didn't really care, until the other day when they were "bad". I may also have upped the gas after adding the extra bulb in anticipation of Gregg's plants, I can't remember. It wouldn't surprise me if I did. That would make more bubbles, for sure. I figured I may as well try cutting the flow just a little more and BOOM. The plants had been pearling well already, but this put the plants in back into overdrive. Even the Crinum leaves had bubbles on them! Now that the sump's nice and clean and I've got as much organic stuff out of the tank as I can, it's time to sit back and see how things do in the reactor over the course of the next few days then make adjustments to gas as needed.

post #191 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking forward to seeing pics with some pretty stems man..

I also turned down my CO2 rate a bit after a refill lately , and now I've got a BBA outbreak all over the center-middle of my microsword carpet. I ordered one of those Dwyer flow meters, I'm hoping it will help with consistently tuning in the CO2. I went back down to 2 bulbs for now... aren't you running 3 now? What is your flow rate at?

post #192 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williak View Post
Looking forward to seeing pics with some pretty stems man..

I also turned down my CO2 rate a bit after a refill lately , and now I've got a BBA outbreak all over the center-middle of my microsword carpet. I ordered one of those Dwyer flow meters, I'm hoping it will help with consistently tuning in the CO2. I went back down to 2 bulbs for now... aren't you running 3 now? What is your flow rate at?
Sorry to hear about the BBA. I've got it in a few places on wood where it's exposed. It's just getting old and is rotting; perfect for BBA. Hope that flow meter works for you. I just thought of something while typing the lower text; try pulling up all the grass and replanting it. Thinning out that stuff and other plants like it always helped me when things got bad. Plus, it allowed me to really clean down deep where it was planted. I wish I could do the same thing with hair grass.

Yeah, I'm running three bulbs now; two in the very back of the tank and the one one socket back from the very front. It seems to be working just right as far as coverage and overall intensity, for lack of a better word, goes. If I need more light/PAR then I'll lower the fixture a bit, but I can't see needing to add another bulb with the way the tank's aquascaped. Other than a few tufts of cladophora on some of the wood and in the hairgrass (a perennial hot spot for this kind in my systems), I'm satisfied with the algae issue and plant growth. If I get into "keeping up with the Joneses" mode there'll be nothing but trouble.

I'll get some pics when I can. The angles are really awkward right now but I'll see what I can do.

ps: I think my pump's running 700 nominal GPH, and I have no idea how many BPS my CO2's running at. I haven't put a flow meter in. That's pretty far down on the list of hobby things to purchase. I need to get fish and an emersed rack for Crypts put up first.

Cheers,
Phil
Greggz and Greggz like this.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 05-08-2018 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added text
post #193 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

5.29.18- It's been a while since the last pictorial update, hasn't it? Here it is in all of its "glory" prior to a big trim. I tried dropping the light a couple inches and I think it ended up closer to the tank than I intended as far as PAR is concerned. BBA started going mad on all the wood and some of the hairgrass, and the Anubias got blitzed with GSA. I've since raised the lights back up, trimmed what I could, and am finishing up an 80% water change right now. Aside from the lights going back up nothing has changed over the past few weeks so I decided to try front loading ferts to see how it goes. I did an extra large dose the other week and things looked nice, but I went back to the old routine. Things aren't looking as nice so we're off to See What Happens Land. I'm going in for surgery on Thursday and Kyle's coming to take care of the tank Friday and Monday. I fully expect that it will have completely recovered in that time.

Mixed news. The wood may be getting too old and rotten to keep in there. If raising the lights and trying to stimulate plant growth with front loading doesn't work to help control the BBA growth on the wood and in the moss, it may be time to remove it. Three years of in and out of the tank is a good lifespan for this softwood so it's not too disappointing. The only sad part would be messing up the aquascape. This is another wait and see thing, and is going to require observation for a while.

Our Floof enjoying the AC on the new sofa

post #194 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Captain

Lol, if I had that much Floof I would want to be in the A/C also! Tank is looking great as always - really like the last pic (before the Floof) - some might even guess the picture was NOT taken inside a fish tank. The third pic is also pretty impressive!

I see the Crinum is doing well - photo bombing every shot :-)

post #195 of 290 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hey Phil good to see an update.

I recognize many of those stems. Good to see they are all looking nice and healthy.

Will be interesting to see how they look in the long run under a little less PAR than I blast them with.

And more importantly, good luck with your procedure.

I'm sure Kyle will have the tank purring along when you get back!

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode