Green Acres, 80 gal high tech - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymittens View Post
That looks amazing. Making me think about plant choices for the rebuild now. I do enjoy the anubias/moss combo.
If only I could send you plants. And thank you for the kind words. Sometimes things just come together. I'm still not sure if I want to use stems or keep the C. cordata in the back. The cordata will give a nice dark swampy feel, but the stems would be less invasive and can be shaped better. AHHHHHH, too many choices!!!
Williak and Williak like this.

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yesterday was the first time I've ever had a fellow TPTer over to my place. Having @vijay_06 over for a bit to pick up some plants and talk shop was awesome. I'm lucky to have such a nice guy and fellow plant head nearby. As soon as all this medical crap is over with we're going to start up a plant club here in town. Watch out GWAPA!!!

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #153 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Edwards View Post
Yesterday was the first time I've ever had a fellow TPTer over to my place. Having @vijay_06 over for a bit to pick up some plants and talk shop was awesome. I'm lucky to have such a nice guy and fellow plant head nearby. As soon as all this medical crap is over with we're going to start up a plant club here in town. Watch out GWAPA!!!

Hi Phil is this tank dirted?

post #154 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:58 PM
Captain

Still looking forward to some post 4/25/2018 pics

post #155 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oval291 View Post
Hi Phil is this tank dirted?
Sort of, yes. I'm using a commercially available substrate made from processed soil. It's not dirt like Mineralized Top Soil.

Regards,
Phil

There you go. Funny thing. I was about to work on the pictures when I read your post @Immortal1

post #156 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Captain

Great set of pictures Phil ! Was wondering how you were going to incorporate them. With your clear background they make for a nice back wall definition. Kinda like wall paper without the actual paper, I believe the wife said. The 53B looks nice and happy. I do like that 3rd pic - everything fuzzed out except the lone plant in the background.

post #157 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Great set of pictures Phil ! Was wondering how you were going to incorporate them. With your clear background they make for a nice back wall definition. Kinda like wall paper without the actual paper, I believe the wife said. The 53B looks nice and happy. I do like that 3rd pic - everything fuzzed out except the lone plant in the background.
Thanks Linn. The Hygro needs to settle in a bit and start growing, but I think it will do well in there. The plant in the 3rd pic is A. reineckii 'Lila' and has been languishing in a corner of the tank for some time. It's now got a spot with a bit more light and a lot better flow so we'll have to wait and see how things go. As for the Crinum, I've got them all in a vague + pattern fairly well spaced out in the hopes that they'll have plenty of room to grow and spread in the future. My goal with them is flowers so this tank's not going to get screwed around with much until it comes time to move.

Regards,
Phil
Greggz, Greggz, Immortal1 and 1 others like this.

post #158 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Phil that is nice to hear. Must be very enjoyable to spend some time chatting with someone about the hobby.

Outside of the board, in the real world people there are very few people who have any idea that the hobby even exists.

------------------
post #159 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:59 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks Phil for having me over. It was the first time I met a fellow hobbyist and I thoroughly enjoyed our chat. Your tank looks even more amazing in person and loved itís dimensions. So much to learn from you and your experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #160 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Yesterday was the first time I've ever had a fellow TPTer over to my place.
I've been to your place!!......

20+ years ago
post #161 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
As for the Crinum, I've got them all in a vague + pattern fairly well spaced out in the hopes that they'll have plenty of room to grow and spread in the future. My goal with them is flowers so this tank's not going to get screwed around with much until it comes time to move.

Regards,

Phil

I read this an thought, man I wish my Crinum would flower... Iíve had it for so long!! Well, what do we have here...

Send some more plant mojo my way please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #162 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 05:14 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
The layout already looks great Phil, will be even better once it fills in. It always amazes me how you're able to nail "peace and tranquility" right from the start.

post #163 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
I read this an thought, man I wish my Crinum would flower... I’ve had it for so long!! Well, what do we have here...

Send some more plant mojo my way please!
Showoff!

How old's that plant and how do you supplement the tank? Where's your tank journal? I found one, but all the pics were on Photobucket and didn't come through. Do you have a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
The layout already looks great Phil, will be even better once it fills in. It always amazes me how you're able to nail "peace and tranquility" right from the start.
I think the trick is not filling the tank with brightly colored stems. What amazes me is how removing one plant/species (Laegenandra) and adding another (Crinum) makes such a difference.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Belton View Post
I've been to your place!!......

20+ years ago
Dude...that was before TPT was even a thing. You're the first DFWMAS member I had over. Does that make you feel better?
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

Last edited by Phil Edwards; 04-30-2018 at 01:55 PM. Reason: .
post #164 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Aftica, Aftica, Greggz and 11 others like this.

post #165 of 289 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

FTS of all aquscapes of this tank from the very beginning until the start of the above FTS series. From start until May was my "Not following my own advice/horribly impatient and angry with the setup not behaving as I expected" phase. Some had to do with hardware issues, but a lot came from my own excessive expectations of myself and a great deal of impatience.

Date unknown

Date unknown

Switching to T5 made a huge difference and turned things around for the better.

5.15.17 One week before I was diagnosed.

10.18.17 Rescaped for ease of maintenance and "benign neglect" after the previous scape "died" while I was unable to care for it properly going in and out of the hospital

12.25.17 Another "benign neglect" aquascape that was more visually pleasing to me. This was done after we'd made the decision to go with the stem cell transplant so it was intended to stay in this form until May or June. Luckily I got out of jail earlier than expected.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode