Dual 20in Cubes - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Kampo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dual 20in Cubes

about a year ago I aquired 2 20nin deep blue cubes at a steal of a deal. at the time I planned them to be just fish room tanks. shortly after I moved semi unplanned, and the tanks never used just moved with me. now a year later, new fishroom is built out and finally ready to get a couple nice diplays. i've long wanted to have a more long term hightech tank, i've had a couple expirments, but nothing lasting more than a few months. so one of the tanks will be a high tech planted. prolly a igwamami hybrid of some sort. the other is going to be a reef.

Today I picked up the stands, have 2 identical setups like this.

the plan equipment wise is both lights will be DIY. with below specs:

Freshwater tank:
2 CHannels
CHannel 1 Freshfish 1211 cob by luxeon
CHannel 2 Vero 10 3k 90cri

Reef Tank
CHannel 1 K16 Royal Blue
Channel 2 Vero 10 4k 90cri
CHannel 3 2xstars from Steves led with the following LEDS 2xHyperviolet 2xCool Blue 1xLime 1xCyan

Controls for both are not finalized. I bought a Pi Zero W and a PCA9685 board to mess with Reef-Pi, it looks really promosing as a simple diy controller that is user friendly. if it works i'll get a second to control both, if I don't care for it possibly will just modifiy a couple TC420s but we shall see reef-pi is looking like a win so far. waiting on a few more bits and bobs to assemble lights.

Filtration:
Fresh going to do a Corner Matten Filter with a 300-400 GPH pump. planning on injecting c02 in to the pump intake, possibly creating some sort of reactor inline with the intake. have a few ideas but not sure if it will work.
Salt just a simple 10 gallon sump with a refugeum, might add a skimmer later

Substrate
Fresh Still debating here. i've been doing a ton of dirted tanks lately and always loved the results. but i noticed in my last hightech tank my standard substrate of 3/4 dirt 1in sand the plants grew great for about 3 months now there is obvious signs of nutrient defficeny so if it only will last such a short time under high light I guess there is no point to dirt and I might just go straight sand.

rest of the bits are mainly salt related, i'll prolly be posting pictures from the salt project but i'll most likely have a second log for most of the salt stuff on another forum.

would love thoughts on plans and coments, this will be a long term project, hopefully work stays sane enough so I have time to make progress.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fresh water light is done. went together first try, first time using a soldering iron in years, and first time messing with a raspberry pi, but it booted up and worked first go...i'm slightly worried i've used up way to much good luck on this project lmao. salt is next...bit more soldering on that one, need to order another raspberry pi for it though since i wasn't sure if this controller would work (it works and its pretty damn slick)

Pics below. disregard the mess of a tank its over its a healthy but plant neglected tank in my fishroom. been working on other projects and haven't had time to rescape it.

Last edited by Kampo; 01-07-2018 at 10:19 AM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode