From Salt to Planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
From Salt to Planted

I have had fresh water tanks since I was a kid, and lets say that was a while ago! I have had a salt tank for the last three years and never seemed to get it to what I had imagined it would look like, so I decided to do a planted tank. I have always like the look of them just never took the time to set one up, so the time has come. I am going for a low budget set up first, to get my feet wet so to speak so I have a 10 gallon with a Eheim 100 gph HOB filter 50w heater, 3 inches of flourite and two,what I believe are Anubias Congensis. If you see that they are a different plant please let me know, the LFS guy was not sure what they were only the price of them. So it is now up and running, see the pics below. Once cycled I plan on some tetras to complete the set up, and of course some more plants. I will greatly appreciate any comments and suggestions, like I said I am new to this!!

Thanks for looking!

By the way I am also new to this site, at least posting, I have been spending a great deal of time reading and you all are a wealth of info. Thanks for that as well!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	105_1084.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	25544  

Name:	105_1089.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	25545  

Name:	105_1092.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	25546  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Did you rinse the flourite thoroughly before you put it into the aquarium?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Looks like you are off to a good start. From the pictures, the plants are not Anubias spp. but probably amazon swords (Echinodorus spp.) I may be wrong though. Do the plants have a rhizome? (A fat, round tuber'thingy that all the leaves grow out from).

As Phillip said, did you rinse the Flourite? Flourite, if not washed, will leave your water as cloudy as all get out for a long period of time. So it would be advisable to take it out and wash it, or do alot of water changes.

Also, what are you using for lighting?

Good luck!
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, I rinsed it twice, and as of right now the tank is clearing nicely. As for the palnts they do not have a bulb, but just a large clump of roots. The lighting I have is a catfish light with a 24 watt pc fluorescent bulb. I plan on getting a larger light later on, I know i need more wattage. Thanks for the replies!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffmd212 View Post
Yes, I rinsed it twice, and as of right now the tank is clearing nicely. As for the palnts they do not have a bulb, but just a large clump of roots. The lighting I have is a catfish light with a 24 watt pc fluorescent bulb. I plan on getting a larger light later on, I know i need more wattage. Thanks for the replies!

Since it has no rhizome, it is deffinatly a sword of some type.

I would take a look at the first sticky over in the "Lighting" section. It will explain the amount of lighting you need and so on. I believe it is entitled T5 vs. T12, PC.... Or something close to that.

Will you be going for a high intensity or low intensity light setup?
Regards,
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Those are def. swords, not anubias. I hope you were not charged "anubias price" for them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
Welcome to TPT!

Looks like you are off to a good start. From the pictures, the plants are not Anubias spp. but probably amazon swords (Echinodorus spp.)
Yeh, he right. It is very similar to the Anubias spp. Check here.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the plant ID. Tank is almost clear this am, but the old heater I had has gone bad, so I need to replace that, but everything else looks good.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I was never serious about planted tanks until after I had been reefing for about 6 or 8 years. I find the two to be very similar, but also satisfyingly different to the point where maintaining both is fun for me.

Welcome to the forum.

Eheim Pimp #423
My Riparium:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the welcome! Three days into my tank and I have a new heater and water is crystal clear. Does anyone have any suggestions on what plants would be good next. I want to have different heights that are moderate light levels, and may be some color.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	105_1094.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	25622  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode