• 2 Post By thanatopsian
  • 2 Post By thanatopsian
  • 2 Post By thanatopsian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Movin' on up! (10 to 29 gallon upgrade)

Ok, so I've been creeping around the planted tank forums for a while; long enough that I should have done this with my first tank ages ago and now I have a chance to rectify that mistake.

About two years ago, and with a lot of advice from this forum, I set out to build my first fish tank. I slowly cobbled together pieces and parts, plants and livestock to eventually create the tank in the first picture. It was relatively low tech, with a dirt substrate capped with black sand and lit by 2 cfl bulbs. In just a few months, it had grown in nicely.

However, being my first tank, there were somethings that I wish I had done differently. For starters, the dirt had to go. Don't get me wrong I'm a serious advocate of dirt tanks, especially if you're on a budget. As a new aquarist however, every mistake or repositioning meant my tank was covered in dirt. Second, the combination of dirt and CFLs meant that I had very little control over the growth rate of my tank. This made algae difficult control. This led to my third issue: DIY CO2. To help keep nutrients in check and control algae blooms, I was ordered to DIY CO2. This again left me with little control once the process was started, and I was totally dependent on its success and by photosynthetic biomass to keep my tank algae free. It also left me with plants that took over my tank to the point that my livestock didn't have ample swimming room.

The TLDR: I wanted more control over my little ecosystem. And when the opportunity came to upgrade my tank, I took it as an opportunity to do things the way I wanted to.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I rushed home after working out a deal with a guy in my area (Chris Teeme of Aquadariums on Facebook), to put in my sand and double check to make sure the tank would hold water. As you can see from the picture it worked like a charm!

I had washed and pre cycled the sand, so I took the heater and filter for my 10 gallon tank, and moved my livestock and some java fern into the 29.

Last edited by thanatopsian; 12-13-2017 at 01:56 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 04:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So after voting and the special election tonight, I made my way down to the local pet store to pick up some Hardscape that I had my eye on. It just so happened that they were having their two for Tuesday sale, so I went ahead and picked up four German Rams and 6 neon tetras (for a total of 11 counting the five I transferred from the 10 gallon tank). I love the way they are schooling now. In the 10 gallon tank they basically spread out and foraged and never really moved as a group. I originally planned to do a triangle shaped Aquascape, but because I ended up buying more Rams than I anticipated, I have decided to do and Island Aquascape to divide the tank and break up line of sight. Hopefully that will let the German blue Rams, after pairing up, have enough individual territories that they can be happy.

I forgot the Driftwood has to be soaked first so that will sink. Now that it is finally at the bottom, I'll take some time tomorrow to add the remaining plants from the 10 gallon tank.

Last edited by thanatopsian; 12-16-2017 at 08:00 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After looking at the driftwood for a while, it occured to me that I should flip the tank so the unsightly cit mark on the driftwood wouldnt be in your face. I've been debating on whether to mix my existing java fern types (regular and windelov) to create a "wild" look, or just buy java fern needle leaf... the picture below is the mix. Im considering removing the regular java fern and replacing that with needle leaf, to get the more full look from windelov mixed with the longer, flowier needle leaves. What do you guys think?

The plant that is hard to spot in the back-right side of the island is a stand of alternanthera reineckii. I plan on putting green Myriophyllum Pinnatum behind it and the driftwood. Hopefully it will help make the red pop.

Williak and Williak like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I had some extra time yesterday, and put in my staurogyne repens. Took these pictures this morning. Starting to look good now that the water is clearing up!

I discovered I lost a neon today. Must have just passed when I found him...his color was still vibrant.

The rams are starting to get their color back! It is good to see they are settling in.

Williak and Williak like this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking nice and clean!

Very neat layout. I appreciate all the negative space surrounding the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also a fan, good job.
I would love to see some additional driftwood placed in there reaching higher up.
I think it would really build up the island look and have a more dramatic effect.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
OP, going back to your first tank, was the sand not good enough cap, what were the little plants, doesn't look like DHG, or is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williak View Post
Looking nice and clean!

Very neat layout. I appreciate all the negative space surrounding the island.

Thanks Williak! I plan on adding cory h. To the tank, so i wanted to leace lots od room for a school of 7-11 to root in the sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
Also a fan, good job.
I would love to see some additional driftwood placed in there reaching higher up.
I think it would really build up the island look and have a more dramatic effect.
Thats a greay idea! I'll check my LFS for appropriate pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
OP, going back to your first tank, was the sand not good enough cap, what were the little plants, doesn't look like DHG, or is it?
It was. That pick is one of the first itterations of that tank. The final version had styrogene repens and a dark gravel. There is also pygmy chain sword on the left side of that tank.

When i got home last night, i found 2 of the GBRs had mated and had a pile of eggs on one of the leaves of the java fern! Unfortunately, I also hooked up my canister filter last night (one of those cheap chinese jobs) power is a lot better than expected, but the tubing quality is sub-par. The u bend came loos from the spray bar last night and blew the right side of my aquascape apart (including the fern that had the eggs). Would have taken a pic last night, but my phone was dead. Ill post the damage when the lights come on this afternoon.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 01:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Are those like Pygmy Corys? I have a group of 12 Pygmys at the moment in my aquarium. Lovely little fish.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williak View Post
Are those like Pygmy Corys? I have a group of 12 Pygmys at the moment in my aquarium. Lovely little fish.

Yeah! They are a dwarf cory species. The primary difference between Corydoras habrosus and pygmy corys are the markings and behavior. Cory h. Is less prone to midwater schooling and behaves more like the larger species of corys.

I saw some on my lunch break today in a pet store; they are incredibly tiny! The descriptions dont don't do them justice!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry! Things have been hectic. Where to begin....

First these pictures are old. But more on that later. I upgraded the lighting to finnex 24/7 se. Originally when i picked this equipmemt i wanted to do a biotope and the 24/7 feature really amped up the ecosystem feel. For various reasons, biotope went out the window, but i am really enjoying the light all the same. It is cool to see how the tank changes from morning to night. It isnt just the colors either. Fish activity seems to change as the tank dims and lights up.

Currently, I am battling serious algae, but i think i have it under control. The issue has been precipitated by a number of factors. First, my LF guy hasn't been able to secure the green myro for me, so I don't currently dont have a fast-growing plant for nutrient export. I had an issue with my CO2 system that lead to a few casualties(3-5 shrimp, 1 neon and one of the female GBrs) as I was changing from a hang on back aquaclear 20 to a 500 gph canister filter (running filter pads, purigen and matrix). Last, I started dosing using PPS-Pro system a few days before the CO2 malfunction, and my ppm of tds shot up fast. Short of the story is I think my bio load is generally keeping my medium growth plants fedn as i haven't been dosing at all for like a week and my TDS has stayed at a constant 37 ppm with plants showing new growth. I'll revisit my dosing regimen when the myro comes in (ordered 8 stems online. Should arrive this week).

As for the algae itself, i took all the plants and hardscape i could out and and treated with hydrogen peroxide. Need to re-clean and scrub now that the algae has finished dying. Also there are some live patches that i nees to hit again.

Boostr and Boostr like this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This last week I have been considering my stock list, and I decided that part of my algae issue is my high fish to plant growth ratio. I purchased the myriophillum pinnatum I had been waiting for through my local guy (he was having trouble gettingit) from a prominent online seller. Though I will not say his name here (I will give you the seller's name via pm), I will say I was not impressed with what I received. The pictures speak for themselves. While the Myriophillum was very green and healthy looking, and I received 8 pieces as the description specified, the longest was only barely longer than my index finger. Half were the overall lengh of my pinky or smaller.

I am, however, very pleased with my other 2 additions. I spotted some echinodorus bleheri compacta at Petsmart and jumped at the chance to kill 2 birds with 1 stone: increase the number of fast growing plants and bringing this tank back to being more biotope-ish. (All of the plants are at least from the same continent now).

The second addition was spawned from the first. I needed something to better fill the space under the echinodorus bleheri. I decided that I should move the pygmy chain sword to fill that role, but that left me without a long leafed plant to smooth put the transitions between layers and around the driftwood. For this, I chose DHG.

Hopefully the Myriophillum pinnatum and the echinodorus bleheri take off and suckup some of my excess nutrients.

As stated before, one of the female GBRs died. Today, I noticed her mate had great blue coloration, but appeared to be losing his stripes (not the one in the picture.. Is he experiencing stress? Should take him back or get hom a girlfriend?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 06:01 AM
Algae Grower

i had very bad experience with GBR from box stores. lovely fish, wife adored them, they survived for about a week. carefully acclimated (at least i thought so) all seemed normal for few days, eating, playfull and all. slowly mood went down, color became very pale and one by one they went. Hard water here in Chicagoland.

as for finnex (i have fugeray planted+ 48") so far it seems the intencity really invites algae unless absolutely everything is balanced. dosing green leaf PPS dry ferts and metricide, I could never keep things balanced enough.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrasyuk View Post
i had very bad experience with GBR from box stores. lovely fish, wife adored them, they survived for about a week. carefully acclimated (at least i thought so) all seemed normal for few days, eating, playfull and all. slowly mood went down, color became very pale and one by one they went. Hard water here in Chicagoland.

as for finnex (i have fugeray planted+ 48") so far it seems the intencity really invites algae unless absolutely everything is balanced. dosing green leaf PPS dry ferts and metricide, I could never keep things balanced enough.
I was kinda lax at first about taking conductivity readings since i religiously change 30-50% water weekly. Found out i'm blowing past my ppm target (so much so, i thought i goofed the math on my max ppm) now that i am testing daily, i realize im hitting my max ppm in 2-3 days.

It seems to most closely relate to my feeding. On the weekends when I can feed more often with less food at one time, my ppm doesn't budge. It seems to jump the most when the food lands in the staurogene repens. (I guess my 6 corries aren't searching through the plants well).

I assumed my corries were doing well, but they haven't been getting fat. I started feeding fewer cichlid pellets (the tetras won't eat flake any more. They ignore it and go for the pellets as they move through the water column) and bought a marineland shrimp based wafer. It might be that i can just see it better than the pellets on my sand substrate, but it appears the corries prefer it to the pellets.

Anyone else have dwarf corries? What do you feed them?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode