30G First Timer - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
30G First Timer

Good afternoon!

Iíve recently gotten very interested in the tank world! I have purchased my first tank, tried to do some research, and about to step into the interesting hobby.

Gear so far and shown in the first picture.
SeaClear 30 Gallon Acrylic
Aqueon Quietflow 30
Heater
Thermometer
Ecocomplete Substrate
Zoomed Ultrasun Flourescent 24Ē

I will have my first plants probably this Thursday evening and will be off work Friday so I plan to spend my day planting and scaping.

In the meantime, school me on the what I need to be doing. Iím looking forward to learning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

"If there is magic on this plant, it is contained in water" -Loren Eiseley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Cycling the tank is the first step. I prefer a fishless cycle. No livestock gets hurt and you build a bacteria colony that can handle about anything you can throw at it. All you need is a bottle of pure ammonia and measure out the appropriate amount and dose the tank once and then sit back and wait until the cycle starts and then just monitor the progress. And in case you're wondering...you can still add your plants during the cycle but do not add any livestock like fish, shrimp, snails....ect. Unless you do a fish in cycle which I don't advise doing as it can be pretty unhealthy or even deadly to the fish. For whatever reason...a lot of people still do it. Only exception I think is ok is in a very heavily planted tank. Very heavily planted. Using liquid ammonia IMO build a stronger bio-filtration system anyways so there's really no good reason not to do it except you'll be looking at an empty tank for 4-6 weeks. But if you don't have patience...you're probably in the wrong hobby because keeping tanks is all about patience.

Here's a handy calculator to figure out how much you need...which for 30g dosed to 2ppm is only about 2.5ml.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...niaCycling.php

And since this is your first tank...I'm going to assume you are a complete beginner and maybe don't know about the nitrification cycle? If not...that's the place to start as all tanks need to start there. Here's a nice and simple explanation and of course you can google it as well for more in depth reading if you wish...

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

30G First Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Cycling the tank is the first step. I prefer a fishless cycle. No livestock gets hurt and you build a bacteria colony that can handle about anything you can throw at it. All you need is a bottle of pure ammonia and measure out the appropriate amount and dose the tank once and then sit back and wait until the cycle starts and then just monitor the progress. And in case you're wondering...you can still add your plants during the cycle but do not add any livestock like fish, shrimp, snails....ect. Unless you do a fish in cycle which I don't advise doing as it can be pretty unhealthy or even deadly to the fish. For whatever reason...a lot of people still do it. Only exception I think is ok is in a very heavily planted tank. Very heavily planted. Using liquid ammonia IMO build a stronger bio-filtration system anyways so there's really no good reason not to do it except you'll be looking at an empty tank for 4-6 weeks. But if you don't have patience...you're probably in the wrong hobby because keeping tanks is all about patience.

Here's a handy calculator to figure out how much you need...which for 30g dosed to 2ppm is only about 2.5ml.

https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...niaCycling.php

And since this is your first tank...I'm going to assume you are a complete beginner and maybe don't know about the nitrification cycle? If not...that's the place to start as all tanks need to start there. Here's a nice and simple explanation and of course you can google it as well for more in depth reading if you wish...

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

I have been researching pretty heavily and am going to do a fishless cycle. However, being that Iím going to be planting about 15 lowlight plants, do I need to use that much ammonia? Worried about burning.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

It won't hurt the plants. I'm cycling a tank now and have plants and they are fine.
iamaloner and iamaloner like this.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by logarogers View Post
I have been researching pretty heavily and am going to do a fishless cycle. However, being that Iím going to be planting about 15 lowlight plants, do I need to use that much ammonia? Worried about burning.

I've damaged plants in 5+ ppm ammonia but 2 ppm ammonia should be just fine for your plants. They can actually use the ammonia as a nutrient so don't worry about burn. You'll have to monitor your nitrogen cycle a bit more carefully since in a plantless/fishless cycle all the ammonia gets converted to nitrates, but in a planted cycle some of the ammonia and nitrates are absorbed by the plants so don't worry if you see 0 readings for a while. Other tip is to not go overboard with lighting, especially when you're starting and the plants are adjusting. If you're doing low tech, start with 4-5 hours and add 1 hour every week until you're just on the edge of algae growth.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
I've damaged plants in 5+ ppm ammonia but 2 ppm ammonia should be just fine for your plants. They can actually use the ammonia as a nutrient so don't worry about burn. You'll have to monitor your nitrogen cycle a bit more carefully since in a plantless/fishless cycle all the ammonia gets converted to nitrates, but in a planted cycle some of the ammonia and nitrates are absorbed by the plants so don't worry if you see 0 readings for a while. Other tip is to not go overboard with lighting, especially when you're starting and the plants are adjusting. If you're doing low tech, start with 4-5 hours and add 1 hour every week until you're just on the edge of algae growth.

My planned plants are below.

3 each - Anubias Nana

3 each - Anubias Nana Petite

3 each - Java Moss portion

3 each - Java Fern

3 each - Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown

4-5 hours a day good for those?

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by logarogers View Post
My planned plants are below.

3 each - Anubias Nana

3 each - Anubias Nana Petite

3 each - Java Moss portion

3 each - Java Fern

3 each - Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown

4-5 hours a day good for those?

Should be plenty to start off with. If they're transitioning well then you can up the photoperiod faster but if they're melting back (perfectly normal as they adjust) then keep it low. I've literally fought every single type of algae in my tank. It's very easy to add too much light and grow algae early on.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

30G First Timer

Alright. Iíve planted some plants and began the cycle.

The initial readings before my ammonia dose was ammonia at 0 and pH at 7.6. Iíve dosed the plants with thrive and put root tabs in the substrate for my mid Plants. I will make another ammonia reading in about 30 minutes.

Edit. My ammonia level is around 1.5 Ppm

Also, critique my scape with some ideas.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update. My ammonia levels began to drop and got to about 0.25 ppm. I re upped the ammonia to 2ppm.

So currently my levels are:
Ammo: 2 ppm
Nitrite: 2.5 ppm
Nitrate: 3.0ppm

What Iím very concerned with are my plants. I had purchased them online and afterwards found out that wasnít a smart thing to do but I planted because I had them and spent the money.

My plants are appearing to begin a rotting phase? Maybe someone more seasoned can identify and help alleviate. I need help! Thanks in advance guys. See the pictures.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have performed the recommended dosage of thrive fertilizer and have root tabs embedded in the substrate

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not uncommon for plants to melt when put in a new tank. They will usually bounce back with new growth.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Not uncommon for plants to melt when put in a new tank. They will usually bounce back with new growth.

Ok. I was beginning to freak out. Do I need to do any trimming of any sort. Youíve helped me out since me beginning this hobby. Thanks a lot!

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also, my pH appears to be super high. Is this okay? If not what is needed?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump. Do I need to trim all the areas that appear to be melting or leave them?

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can probably go ahead an prune off any leaves that appear to be damaged, but on the other hand its not really necessary.

My tanks:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode