• 2 Post By Williak
  • 2 Post By DBridges
  • 2 Post By DBridges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 gallon “Archway”

Finally, after two and a half years without an aquarium, I got my new 75 gallon tank started. I refer to it as “archway” because of the piece of manzanita wood going over the sand trail in the center. Some specifics:

- 75 gallon Aqueon tank;
- Fluval G6 filter;
- Hydor powerhead;
- 2 x Ecotech Radion XR15FW LED lights, with ReefLink and rail mount;
- Compressed CO2 using an older Greenleaf set-up with in-tank diffuser.

Currently running the lights at 40% power set at 6500K color temp, on a 4hr on, 2hr off, 6hr on schedule. CO2 is roughly 3.5 bubbles per second.

Plants include:
- Echinodorus ozelot;
- Cryptocoryne lutea, wendtii, and undulata;
- Echinodorus parviflorus;
- Cabomba caroliniana;
- Glossostigma elatinoides;
- Brazilian Pennywort.

Some pictures, 5 days after initial planting:

So far, problems have been minimal. There is some bacteria or fungus growing on the wood, but I imagine it will dissipate with time. Looks gross for now, though. Plants have already started to show new growth.

Thanks for looking!
d33pVI, d33pVI, ChrisX and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice look to it. Good use of the arch! Point to keep in mind on the grey fungus/ whatever is that some fish do eat the stuff so that might be a next step to see if there might be a cleanup crew around?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

About three weeks after planting and things are progressing nicely. Tank is just about cycled, and the bacterial/fungal growth on my manzanita wood is in retreat. Stag horn, hair, and cladophora algae are also beginning to recede. Have had some Cyanobacteria on the sand; just a little that I’m keeping an eye on. I’ve dialed back the lighting from 40% to 34%, as the Glosso stills seems to be doing well at the lower level.

Speaking of Glosso, after a little “training” it’s beginning to grow horizontally quite nicely. I’m hoping that within another month I should have a pretty good carpet going.

The Crypts are slowly adapting, with the Lutea coming along the quickest. The E. ozelot has begun to grow larger, submersed form leaves, and both E. parviflorus have begun to grow new plantlets, which I’ll plant elsewhere when they’re ready.

burr740 and burr740 like this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank is cycled now, algae is very much in decline, and plants are growing well. So, I decided today to buy my first fish: a group of six Corydoras loxozonus. I ultimately want around 20 Corys in this tank, but the rest will likely be different species. Though I feel these are really beautiful Corys, they don’t seem to be frequently stocked at my LFS.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

Those Corys are awesome!
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

- Zach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrace View Post
Those Corys are awesome!
Agreed. Those are very cool. What else are you planning on stocking?

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great set up ad beautiful corys! Can't wait to see it grow in
DBridges and DBridges like this.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Agreed. Those are very cool. What else are you planning on stocking?
Definitely will be getting some more Corys. Not sure what kind yet, though. I'd love to get more of the loxozonus, but they don't seem to be stocked regularly. Otherwise, a couple of Angelfish and some sort of tetras.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank continues to do well. Some parameters:

KH = 7
pH = 6.8
NO3 = 10-20ppm
Lights reduced from 34% to 30% intensity
Total 10hr lights on - 4 hrs on, 2 off, then 6 on

Things are beginning to fill in. I pulled out the Cabomba, as the Lutea was growing up nicely. I've also thinned back the Pennywort a good bit as well. The Ozelot Sword continues to grow, but perhaps a little slower than I had hoped. But it's still doing well. The Glosso carpet is doing better than I had hoped, and is growing like crazy now.

18 fish in total right now:
6 Corydoras loxozonus
6 Corydoras sterbai
2 Corydoras schwartzi
4 Rummynose Tetras

Had a spot of trouble with the Corys that had to be addressed. As best as I can diagnose, they got Costia (slime disease) and had to be quarantined and treated for a week. Used CopperSafe in the QT tank and it worked great. All 14 Corys were healed without any losses, and were successfully reintroduced into the tank. Hoping to get some more Rummynose Tetras soon.

ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

75 gallon planted in progress Radion XR15FW x 2 w/Reeflink Fluval G6
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Progress continues, and things are mostly going well. Some of the C. wendtii is finally starting to grow tall like I want. Removed the Glosso because it was growing a bit too well and was becoming a pain to keep trimmed back. Replaced it with some Dwarf Chain Swords a week ago, which are still settling in. Also added some Amazon Frogbit. The middle behind the driftwood was looking a bit empty, so I added some Java Fern and Anubis Nana to fill it in a bit.

Had a bit of an outbreak of staghorn algae. Reduced my lighting to 15% and adjusted my dosing, and it’s now starting to recede quite a bit.

The fish have been a mixed bag. Bought two juvenile Angelfish, but they had Angelfish Virus, I think, and died within a week. Going to try again, but I’ll get the next batch from a small, mon-and-pop type breeder. Up to seven Rummynose now, and still hoping to get more.

Comments welcome!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

This looks great. How much algae do the SAE eat?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
This looks great. How much algae do the SAE eat?
I just got the SAE last week, but they have been helping with the staghorn algae situation. They seem to be really good at eating the stuff that grows on the edges of plant leaves. I’ve had them in past aquariums, and they have always been a good help with algae, but they’re never the solution.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow, it’s been 8 months since I updated anything. Everything is doing well. Changed up some of the plants. The Glosso and Dwarf Chain Swords are long gone, and I’ve added some new Anubias and Bucephalandra. Sometime in the next couple of months I’m going to remove the Crypts on the right side and replace them with some Val.

Currently, the fish count is:
3 Angelfish;
3 SAE;
7 Rummynose;
7 Black Phantom Tetras;
1 Bushynose Pleco;
3 Otos;
12 Cory’s of three different species.

Lighting is down to 10%. With the two Radion XR15FW’s, I feel like that’s still moderate lighting. Algae, thought, is very minimal now that the tank is stable and the lighting is down to 10%.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode