aqua-freak's fluval edge - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
aqua-freak's fluval edge

so, im new to this forum but have been silently lurking for some time
finally got around to registering. i am also registered on nano-reef and my 3 reef tanks always get all the attention. i figured it was time to give my freshwater planted nano the recognition it deserves as well

so my tank and specs:
it is a 6 gallon fluval edge with mr11 led upgrade, done today actually
i have had the tank running for a while and finally ordered and recieved the leds. love them too. what a difference. anyway, its a simple setup, no co2... yet have some anubias, java moss covering some driftwood, and amazon sword plant. my stock (currently) consists of:
5x harlequin rasboras
1x zebra nerite
1x ghost shrimp
3x red cherry shrimp
my maintinance schedule is 25% water changes weekly

so now that the introduction is over, i have pictures enjoy
feedback is always welcome

here is the led swap pics:
the stock halogens

the new leds

and the rest of the pics (some of the pics have the amazon sword plant in the rear left corner and some do not, i added the amazon sword plant today from a planted fish bowl)

Last edited by aqua-freak; 11-02-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/100%)
Where did you get the leds from? Are they made for the fluval edge?

38gal. Tetras Forest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal. Jungle Low Tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10gal. Planted Aquarium, 38gal. Planted Aquarium.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello, they are mr11 size bulbs with smd led's. I got them from ledwholesalers.com
They were $11.25 per bulb. Cool white (5000-6000k) total including shipping came to around $26

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

anyone have any plant recomendations?
i am also considering switching out the substrate for sand. open for suggestions on types for that too
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

added 2 red cherry shrimp this weekend this is my first time keeping these, any pointers or advice? they seem just like any other shrimp, just more attractive and talk about good cleaners, these two are all over the plants cleaning the leaves like crazy
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

couple pics of one of my RCS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0040.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	25822  

Name:	IMAG0041.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	25823  

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice moss!!

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
woah, thats the best lights i have seen on edge you could think of getting some more plants, mayb carpet plants like HC

Eheim Pimp Club #441

From Singapore to Jersey !

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the compliment Fat Guy. got a bunch of that java moss from my lfs, tied it to the drift wood and it just took off and filled in

and thanks also chilled_fire. i had tried many different leds from ebay (some cheap ones) and finally got these from ledwholesalers.com. i love them cause so far they have the best coverage i have seen and i do want to get some carpeting plant and am open to recomendations and tips i would love to have a nice green carpen along the bottom. im sure my ghost and red cherry shrimp would love it too. would i need to change the substrate or would it do fine in the gravel.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

and also Fat Guy, i checked out your fluval edge thread, it looks like you have had the same java moss i do but as a carpet. how do you like it and could i get some of mine to do that in my gravel? yours looks great
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Your tank looks nice but you may want to reconsider your fish stocking. The rainbow will defintely need to be moved to a larger tank. They are very active and need lots of room to swim. The rasboras might be alright in a 6 gallon tank but would do better in a 20gallon+. You could go with some microrasbora such as brigittae or even some CPD's.

You tank is on the right track and if you switched your substrate to eco complete, flourite, or aquasoil you could probably grow some nice plants with that upgraded lighting you have. Or you could put some root tabs in your current substrate. Marsilea minuta would do good in here since its a lower light carpeting plant.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua-freak View Post
and thanks also chilled_fire. i had tried many different leds from ebay (some cheap ones) and finally got these from ledwholesalers.com. i love them cause so far they have the best coverage i have seen and i do want to get some carpeting plant and am open to recomendations and tips i would love to have a nice green carpen along the bottom. im sure my ghost and red cherry shrimp would love it too. would i need to change the substrate or would it do fine in the gravel.
If you have another tank, then i would recomend aquasoil, the only thing is aquasoil needs to cycled throughly inorder to remove all the amonia so you wld need another tank or container
But so far i have got best results with aquasoil.
If you dont want to change substrate as zeldar mentioned root tabs would work , i use root tabs/liquid nutrients from rootmedic and they are really good, works for HC too. but for HC you will also need co2.

Eheim Pimp Club #441

From Singapore to Jersey !

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok, so root tabs. i have these little fertilizer things i got from my fish store a while back, same idea as root tabs. my lfs uses them and the plants look great. and yes i think the rainbow fish may need to go. i got him when he was smaller and he has been fine, but is starting to get a bit aggressive at feeding time. and if i want my red cherrys to breed and live, cause im pretty sure he is the one picking off the babies of my rcs and ghost shrimp. it may be time for him to go to a bigger tank.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

update, things are going well. red cherrys are breeding costantly i turned in the rainbow fish, my buddy at my lfs put him in one of his larger planted display tank i also added a new critter, added a crystal red shrimp. such cool and colorful little guy. hoping to get more soon and see if they breed. the red cherries breed like rabbits lol. here are some pics of the new guy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0124.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	27161  

Name:	IMAG0125.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	27162  

Name:	IMAG0130.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	27163  

Name:	IMAG0133.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	27164  

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

*so a small update, the crystal red shrimp didnt make it sadly
*took out the ghost shrimp cause i suspected they were picking off my red cherry shrimp, and then i caught one munching on a blue shrimp while it was moulting, bastards
*i added 2 blue shrimp (one is gone due to the demon ghost shrimp)
here are picks, all else is going good though, knock on wood
here are picks of the blue shrimp, he is really cool

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode