Captivate's 29 gallon (56k) *5/28 Replanted - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Thanks!

I just saw the scarred female. She's berried! I'm pretty confident she'll be ok if she's willing to breed and berry so quickly. So far I've spotted two berried girls (at the same time).

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

12/16 Update

Just a few pictures and a video.

A bad picture of the scarred RCS. This was as good a shot as I could get. You can see the white patch on her back from her run-in with the Koralia.

I'm dosing 4ml of Seachem Iron and 4ml of Excel daily, as well as upping the amount of CSM+B (from 1/32 tsp to 1/16 tsp) and adding 1/4tsp Epsom Salt on micro day. I'm seriously considering just dosing mircos everyday and macros every other day...

Anyway, here's the L Glandulosa after four days of the new regimen. Starting to get a darker color going. Also, the lower leaves are starting to show an interesting pattern in dark green and orange.

And the L Cuba, which looks much happier. It's starting to kinda look more like L Cuba now, but it still has a way to go. The lighting was really weird in this picture, it isn't nearly that light colored. It's taken on a much brighter, less washed out shade of green in the last four days. This thing grows pretty fast, it's grown about two to three inches in the last four days.

And here's the video of my gertrudaes in their typical morning routine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXEihKjt8kw

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
They are such fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.

post #34 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

GAAAH! I'm getting very frustrated at the moment! Everything that's supposed to just work isn't working. That's my life story in general, but it still is very infuriating.

My fiance went out and got the conduit pipes for my lights. The Home Depot cut them, but wouldn't bend them. So now we're trying to figure out how to bend them. My fiance used to work with steel all the time, he knows what he's talking about but I haven't the faintest clue. Everyone I ask seems to know everything about it, but it's so far over my head. I hate it, it's my stupid project and I have no clue what's go on.

That's not the only issue of what's going on. There are many problems I'm trying to cope with at the moment. It's making me feel like I should just tear all my tanks down and give up on it. I'm not going to give up this easily, not after fighting so hard to get this far, but fighting every little stupid thing that's supposed to be fine is getting at me right now.

That said, I now have to go show my fiance how to make coffee. He's telling me that coffee and the dishwasher are over his head, and he has no clue what I'm typing Oh dear...

I'll be updating pictures later today. Some plants are really starting to grow in

post #35 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
go back to hd and buy a conduit bender. bend your pipes then return it. say it's the wrong size or something. that's what i do. the bender is pretty much the only way to get nice bends.
Oh, you might want to pick up an extra piece of conduit as well. (to practice on before you bend the cut pieces.)

What would Honey Badger do?
post #36 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
Well, maintenance on this tanks has been infuriating today. None of the rotalas that I got at my LFS last week have sent down roots yet, so ALL of them decided to pop back out while I was draining the water, while I was trimming other plants, and while I was filling it back up. I still have a couple floaters... That's around thirty delicate little stems I've had to push back into the Flourite THREE TIMES today.
My LFS gave me some of those bendable lead weights. I've successfully used those to weigh down some of my plants until they grow roots.
post #37 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
go back to hd and buy a conduit bender. bend your pipes then return it. say it's the wrong size or something. that's what i do. the bender is pretty much the only way to get nice bends.
Oh, you might want to pick up an extra piece of conduit as well. (to practice on before you bend the cut pieces.)
Good idea. +1
post #38 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Vix
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If my tank grows in half as good as this I'll be more than happy.

Great tank and love the pic on post #22 of the 3 shrimp in a row, looks like they're playing follow my leader

post #39 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
I was thinking about doing that. I guess my finace's dad has a pipe bender, but we aren't sure it'll bend this stuff. I guess my fiance wants to ask his dad first, but if not we're going with this plan. As for the extra conduit, my fiance's response "Oh I know how to do this, we won't need another pipe." I told him if he messes it up, he's getting another pipe for me.

post #40 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley View Post
My LFS gave me some of those bendable lead weights. I've successfully used those to weigh down some of my plants until they grow roots.
I had them in the weights for a while, but the stems started melting below the weights so I just decided to plant them. They have really taken off since separating them and have finally thrown down some roots.

The ludwigias I keep on weights until they have roots, but the rotalas don't seem to like them much...

post #41 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
If my tank grows in half as good as this I'll be more than happy.

Great tank and love the pic on post #22 of the 3 shrimp in a row, looks like they're playing follow my leader

Aww, thanks! It's still no where near where it'll end up (if I have my way), and it's still growing in itself. We have a long way to go, but I hope it stays looking nice and not turning into a wall of green like it did before.

You have no idea what it means to me to get these compliments. It helps me feel I'm doing it "right". I've been putting my heart and sole into this tank, it's the closest I can get to my dream tank.

post #42 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

12.19 Update

I'm not feeling that great today, I think I'm getting sick, so changing the water wasn't pleasant work today. But I survived and did a little trimming. I did much of the trimming on Wednesday because some of the plants were already touching the surface of the water.

Flora

The Purple Bamboo really likes this tank. I'm not all sure what to do with trimming it, so I cut the stem in half and replanted the top while leaving the base. I'm not what it'll do, but I'm hoping it'll send out a new shoot.

I pulled the rest of the stargrass out. It basically melted all the way and I had no more patience for it. I'm getting tired of fishing gray pieces of dead plant out of my tank.

I trimmed the rest of the emersed growth off my E. Vesuvius and moved it to where it can be seen here soon.. Cool plant, it's sent up a handful of new leaves over the last few weeks, but still isn't rooting well. I'm hoping it'll get to rooting better here soon.

I'm more convinced that the L Cuba is really L Cuba. It's definately taken on the narrow leaves, and it's still growing like a weed. I had to trim it again. I can't wait to see how this plant responds to the pressurized co2.

Pictures
And here's what anyone reading this wants to see, not my blabble
The glass is still cloudy from stirring things up. It seems like a fine film settles on the glass that takes a few days to clear up.

FTS

Once again there's a bare patch behind the driftwood. I'll suffer with it for a couple more weeks before getting more plants. I'm too broke right now

The L Glandulosa this week. The color keeps improving slowly. After all the plants are in and settled, I'm going to cut back on the KNO3 bit by bit to see if it will help the reds pop.

I just trimmed the red one. The green one was being shaded over by it. I'll probably end up pulling a couple of these when I get more plants. There seems to be too many of them.

Rotala Nanjenshan. Neat plant, I like it. I'll be trimming it again to get it bushier.

And that's all I have for now. Hope you all enjoyed!

post #43 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Since I'm not really going to be around this weekend, I thought I would do an update now. No pictures though, the lights aren't on yet.

I'm going to be making some major changes to my tank arrangements over the next month.

Firstly, aside from my insistence on the pressurized co2 (it WILL happen, darn it!), I'm going to adjust the hardness in this tank. I'm hoping to drop it from it's hovering zone of about 7-9 dGH, to about 5-6. The KH I'm hoping to keep at around 2. This will be accomplished by the introduction of RO water, in a complicated fashion. Since I'm not sure what all's causing my leaf curling, I want to add Equilibrium, which worked wonders for me in the past. The plan is to cut five gallons of tap with five gallons of RO, add Prime, add 3/4 tsp Equilibrium, and aging it for two days in a tub with a HOB filled with high quality carbon. Cutting it 50/50 serves to keep my fiance happy, because much more than that and I'll be trying his patience with running to the store. He already nixed the RO unit. I think I can make it work. The carbon is to remove as much of the chloramine as I can. Prime may detoxify chloramine, but I still don't like adding it to my tank. I don't run carbon in my canisters, and the filter on the 29g does not have a chemical media in it at all.

Second, after the hardness is dropped to where I want it, the remaining CRS are getting put in this tank. I'm failing to find a good reason to keep them in their own tank. I think they will be happier in the larger tank anyway.

The 10g that is currently housing the CRS will be redone and cleaned out, and planted over again with some easy care plants. It will then be dedicated to a male betta! I've been wanting to get one after Mrs Fancy Finns (my platinum HM female) kicked the bucket a couple months ago, but I wanted to put him in a larger tank. The three gallon tank the Mrs' was in just didn't seem big enough for her... So after the tank is all settled in, I'm taking my fiance and daughter to my LFS and having them pick out a nice male that they like.

That's about it for now. I'll update it with pics and what-not after Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

post #44 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My Christmas present from my fiance! An Aquatek regulator. I snitched the bubble counter from the Milwaukee regulator I bought used several months ago that turned out was busted. Hey, it may be cheap but it gets me pressurized!

This is going to torture me all day... I'm avoiding stores at all costs until tomorrow; I hate super busy times and I live in a holiday shopping hot-spot. Driving is hazardous today... I don't have everything I need. My ten pound cylinder is empty, and we never did get around to going back to Home Depot and getting the parts for my reactor. Christmas shopping kinda took center stage and holy cow it never gets less stressful.

But, to shut me up, my fiance also bought me my maternity clothes! Had to order them online (I hate buying things online), but we don't have an Old Navy anywhere near us and I swear most places believe that pregnant women don't want to look cute But, I got free shipping, so it's all good. My belly is just getting too big for my pre-pregnancy clothes. I'm shocked it lasted this long; I'm nearly 29 weeks (six months) along!

This is going to be my project for tomorrow! Set it up, make sure it works, and wait for it to work it's magic! I want to see if pressurized co2 is really all that and a bag a chips like everyone makes it sound!

post #45 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Holy cow, that was a freaking headache. Went to HD to get the supplies for the RG reactor, and it was like trying to explain rocket science without knowing much about it. We eventually got all the parts we needed, but it took about an hour or more. Didn't help that my daughter was throwing a fit the entire time we were there. The reactor most certainly won't be built tonight!

We also got a pipe bender for the conduit. Hopefully it'll all start coming together better here soon... At least I hope it will.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode