Captivate's 29 gallon (56k) *5/28 Replanted - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Wow! I wish I could have my 29 as a planted...right now it has tanganyika shellies in it....plus it has hard water stains and the silicon is old so I guess I need a new tank

This is looking great! I think maybe moving/adding a red plant to the left would make it look more balanced but even now, it looks great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
Looking good! Can't wait to see more pictures!

OMG I love the snails. I need to find some for my tanks

Agreed, the snails are interesting looking. Never thought of keeping any till now.
post #18 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Thanks everybody!

The snails are awesome. They have polished the anubias leaves. I don't know if anyone else has issue with GDA on anubias, but I sure did. I had been looking for an "acceptable" kind of snail for a while, and I'm glad I settled on these guys.

Caton- I have the so-called L. cuba on the far left in the back, so if it really turns out to be cuba, it'll be a nice splash of red. I'm considering putting some Aromatica in there somewhere, but that will wait until after the pressurized system is set up. I think the purpley color will look nice with the current plants I have in there.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Yeah, I think this tank will be amazing.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #20 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
Yeah, I think this tank will be amazing.
Thanks!

~~~

Due to my two year old daughter not believing in sleep and my fiance's work schedule, I've had quite a bit of time to really break down my ideas on aquascaping. I thought I would write them here, since I'm pretty much just writing out my mind anyway. Remember please, this is MY mind and what I want to do. I'm not knocking anyone's tanks; beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

First off, I don't like the whole "natural" rules. I understand the appeal, but to me this is a glass box and I'm going to use it as such. If I wanted a chunk of a river in my living room, I would have left the tank as it was.

I'm also not overly fond of "themed" tanks, ones with limited numbers of plants. The appeal to me is a nice "clean" tank that I can appreciate, but not overly interesting enough for me to want to stare out everyday. I don't want to memorize every square inch of my aquarium; I would become very bored with it very quickly and would probably rearrange the tank every three months.

Then there's the collectoritis tanks. For some odd reason that I never really thought about, these tanks are the most appealing to me. While some can appear very busy, some look very nice. When I thought about it, I compared it to a salad: I love all sorts of shades, colors, and textures in my salads. I love the different textures and colors of the plants in the aquarium. My tank doesn't glow the same shade of bright green that I find is hard to look at. It has different sized and shaped leaves, giving the tank something that appeals to my eyes and mind. So I may have 20 different species of plants in this tank, but they were carefully hand picked and placed for whatever qualities I've decided I like. I'm not done with this tank yet, not by a long shot. So many different things I want to do with it, so little money to play with

I'd hate to see what I would do to a tank that is bigger. I can't find enough room in this tank for all I want to do with it. What I would do for a nice 75g... That's NOT going to happen anytime soon though. It was hard enough to convince apartment places about a tank this size!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #21 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

12/12/10 Update

I'm writing a book right now. So much to say, so little space to say it in reasonably...

~~~

Well, maintenance on this tanks has been infuriating today. None of the rotalas that I got at my LFS last week have sent down roots yet, so ALL of them decided to pop back out while I was draining the water, while I was trimming other plants, and while I was filling it back up. I still have a couple floaters... That's around thirty delicate little stems I've had to push back into the Flourite THREE TIMES today.

My tank has Flourite Dark capped with Flourite Black. The black is great stuff, it grips things nicely, looks nice, and overall has good performance in my book. Flourite Dark... sucks. It's grain is larger and it's hard to push things into it, then it fails to grip the plants. The cap is thinner in the back behind the driftwood, and guess where all those lovely rotalas were?

At the same time, my cat decided he wanted to get into EVERYTHING and knocked over about a half gallon of water on the floor. His butt ended up getting shut in a another room while I cleaned up his mess and fought with the stupid rotalas. I think I Hulk Smashed a couple of them.

And I still have a few that are floating around, destined for bleach when I feel like dealing with them.

I pulled out the Red Foxtail. It just wasn't working out. I'll replace it with something prettier here at one point.

Other than that, I redid two of my co2 bottles and tried to get it right this time. I'm still not used to treating the tap water before putting the yeast in. That would probably explain why I'm struggling with co2 right now.

~~~

Monitoring my plants all week, I'm still seeing a deficiency in them. The magnesium isn't doing much. So I studied up and tried to put the puzzle pieces together.

*My plants look best after a water change.
*My plants look best on mirco fert days.

Those two are telling me that I have a micro nutrient problem.

*Many of the plants I have are iron hogs

That's when the light bulb turned on. So I looked at the faster growing stems to confirm diagnoses...

*Pale leaves, between the vines, but the vines get lighter towards the end. The "L. Cuba" (which is the fastest growing thing in the tank right now) actually has some leaves that are very pale.

Now I'm beating my head against the wall. Geez, I'm stupid. It was all right there in front of my face and didn't even see it. I figured my iron was good; I dose Plantex CSM+B (I had cut the dose in half for EI), I use pFertz root tabs (that have iron in them), and I dose 3ml of Seachem Iron on micro day. You'd think that would be enough iron. But between all the rotalas, ludwigias, and anubias, I guess not. So I'm dosing the Seachem Iron daily to see if that helps. I also started dosing the full amount suggested for EI, to cover the bases.

~~~

The hydra in this tank are making me mad. They are everywhere. I'm not buying the whole "they will starve if you don't overfeed" thing. I barely give enough food for everyone to be happy in this tank. I took my habrosus corys to the LFS because they couldn't seem to find enough food. And yet the hydra have gone bonkers. I would treat the whole tank right now with SafeGuard if I knew I wasn't going to just get more plants. But I seem to be getting hydra from my LFS, and they go through enough plants every week for me to know that they are getting them from their suppliers.

I'm going to curse the hydra, shoot them with Excel, and bide my time until I know I have the tank where I want it. Then BAM! SafeGuard treatment.

~~~
Last note; I'm keeping a close eye on my shrimp today. This is the first water change they've had to endure over here, the first time they've been exposed to fresh city tap. Granted, I treat each bucket with Prime before dumping it in the tank, and at the end it's a double dose (chloromine kicks the ammo reading on my test to 1.0 pmm), but I'm not sure how they will handle it.

Immediately after the change, most were still vibrant red, but a few had turned pale. I'm hoping it's just from the stress of 50% water changes which they aren't used to.

For the most part, they seem ok. I'm hoping to see some berried girls here within the next couple of weeks. I've witnessed some foreplay action from the males, so I know it's on their minds. The males seem to swim around more after the lights out; the Gertrudaes are "sleeping" at the top of the tank then. They've attempted numerous swimming excursions during the day period, and have often bumped head-first into the fish. The fish don't seem to care at all, but the shrimp don't seem to like touch the fish. It's funny to watch them go cruising for females, bump a fish, then flail backwards like their lives depended on it.

The female cherry that was injured via powerhead seems to be doing fine. She's back in her vibrant colors, adjusting to her lost leg, and the damage on her back seems to have scared over. I don't think she's molted yet, but I can still see her daily, picking around what seems to be a favorite spot under the blyxas with other larger females. I can usually see seven or eight large females hanging out there; I'll have to take a picture at one point.

Pictures to come once the tank clears up all the way. Dealing with the rotalas, I ended up tearing up the substrate a little bit. It isn't bad by any means, I just want to post clear pictures. This tank is so much prettier in person than on my crappy Droid pictures...

post #22 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

12/12/10 Pictures

Here's a ton of pictures. After a regulator and T5HO lights, I'm asking for a decent point and shoot.

FTS

I trimmed a few small blyxa shoots and move them in front of the driftwood a bit. Also, about half my stargrass melted and ended up mucking up the tank a bit. This stuff melts if you blink at the wrong time. I want to replace it with some Rotala sp "green" here at one point. I need money... I think next week I'm going to trim the bases of the L Glandulosa down, it's getting a little tall and is being hit with the currents.

Flora

New growth on the Rotala Wallichii. It hasn't thrown down much in the way of roots yet. Iron deficiency?

The Marselia Minuta making a come back.

Top shot of the "L. Cuba". The newest leaves are getting pretty narrow, but very pale.

Top shot of L Glandulosa. Leaves are pale...

The Christmas moss this week. Not sure how long this whole moss thing is going to take, but I'm waiting it out until it either grows in or falls apart.

My first plant, a gorgeous marbled anubias I purchased from Craigthor. It was in the neglected shrimp tank, so I moved it here. I'm going to move it to a different spot in the tank...

Close up on that leaf. Too bad it has damage to it, it's so pretty otherwise...

Fauna

My Zebra oto, not doing her job :p

The best picture I could get of a Gertrudae. I'm absolutely in love with these fish, they are lovely and so fun to watch.

More of the boys. The girls were being camera shy today

I accidentally left the flash on, but here's a good size comparison with a large RCS female and a curious Gertrudae male

Some young RCS females. Nothing special, just regular ol' cherries.

More RCS shots

And the giant Ramshorn, who seems to be doing peachy still.

Anyway, that's it for now...

post #23 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

And because I'm bored out of my head today, here's a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaFfmSjPzy0

post #24 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
How did I miss your thread! I love the gertrudes. Do fun. Following this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
post #25 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Gertrudaes are great

I've decided what the issue is with my tank. Like Tom Barr said, it's a lack of co2. Even though I'm blasting the crap out of it with DIY co2 and Excel, it's just not enough.

Only two-three weeks to go before *hopefully* going pressurized!

I was flipping through the journal, and it occurred to me that I never listed what fauna I have in this tank... So here it is.

Fauna
8 Pseudomugil gertrudae
3 otocinclus vestitus (yes, vestitus)
1 otocinclus cocama
26 RCS
5 horned nerite snails
MTS
Ramshorn Snails

I'm hoping to add a small school of CPDs and maybe threadfins here at one point; I think they would look very nice. I'm still debating with myself over a farowella, but I think I'll probably pass with it.

I won't be adding any more fish until after I get the rest of the plants I'm planning on getting are settled and that's waiting until after the pressurized co2 get's figured out.

post #26 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned

I just called my local pet store about the zebra ottos.i don't see them getting them in considering they just heard about them through me.....ugh keep your fingers crossed for me

Quote:
post #27 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I will! My LFS had them a few months ago, and they sold out pretty quickly. They were so excited to get them. I bought one, with the intentions on buying at least one or two more, but by the time I came back after pay day they were all gone.

I've heard people say they are very sensitive, but mine has been a real trouper. She's doing very well, and has since day one. The only thing I've noticed is that when I moved, after doing 50% water changes her gills turn pink. The next day they are fine again, so I'm not overly concerned. The habrosus corys I had freaked out in the city water; after WCs they would flip upside down and overall act horribly. They were usually fine by the next day, but I had enough of stressing the crap out of them and took them to my LFS. I liked them, but heck even the shrimp handle the water just fine.

Last edited by Captivate05; 12-14-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo
post #28 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 01:45 AM
Banned

I have some pygmy cories on there way...I'm really excited for these guys but I'm going to breed them before they go to my display

Quote:
post #29 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Berried shrimp and my little girl!

I was looking at my tank today, noting all the shrimp molts when I noticed this little beauty coming out to eat!

Not a very good picture, but she insisted on staying in a bad spot for picture taking. I was contorting myself around pretty good to get this shot.

Yay! The RCS like me again! Not that a berried RCS is really any news at this point, but hey. I'm happy.

And as I was typing this, my daughter decided to commence in a favorite activity of mine: "sit" on the medicine ball and stare at the tank. Of course, when I pulled the Droid out she looked around and decided to be a ham

post #30 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Awwwww your little girl is super cute

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode