20 ish Mr. Aqua Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
20 ish Mr. Aqua Tank

Ok so I have had this tank in my office for well over 6 month empty and finally after getting my wood from Tom decided to put water in it. The wood is connected to a piece of lace rock to keep it down until it water logs. I will be adding some pea size natural gravel into the sand to give it a more natural look. Have yet to decide on what to put into the tank as far as fish go. I want to add shrimp so I want something that isnt to big and that will leave shrimplets alone for the most part. I am leaning toward the Brigittae rasbora. Anyway let me know what you think.... Oh lighting in the picture is LED but I am going to attach my 70 watt metal halide to it. I know it will be an algae factory for awhile but I am hoping I can avoid that.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Last edited by ZID ZULANDER; 12-22-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think Boraras Briggittae or however it's spelled is going to be too small. You'll loose the effect of having them in a tank of that size, even if you added around 30, which you could. But by adding that many, it would look to kitschy, in my opinion. I would go for a good shoal of maybe 15 or so ember tetras. Tiny enough, yet large enough to have a good impact on the eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the input.

Canon Pimp Club #005

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZID ZULANDER View Post
Oh lighting in the picture is LED but I am going to attach my 70 watt metal halide to it. I know it will be an algae factory for awhile but I am hoping I can avoid that.
I have seen avoid algae when upgrading the light by having a lot of plants. Also if not injecting Co2 should get Seachem excell.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I will have CO2. but the shrimp will not like the Excel.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
I will have CO2. but the shrimp will not like the Excel.
Oh, I was not aware of that. Now I know why the ghost shrimp did not live in my tank.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
I think the brigittae will be fine. I have them in a 15 gal that my girlfriend is currently taking care of for me since I couldn't move it with me. They look nice, and the Mr. Aqua tank isn't that much bigger. You can certainly add them no problem. And they are a very nice and active fish species, so I think they will be just fine. Another, additional benefit, is that they have a smaller bioload, unless of course you dump 50 of them in there, so the parameters should be nice.

Are you hoping to see the inhabitants more under close observation or from far away?

Simon
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The tank is in my home office and the desk is just to the left of the tank. I also have a reclinner that I use when playing xbox so that is a little further way. So it would be both close and from a short distance. I have about 300 to 400 brigittae right now so that is not the issue of getting enough fish. I want to have fish in it and have shrimp that will be able to breed in there without the fish hunting the shrimplets down and having a shrimp feast. I will figure it out. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1911 View Post
I think the brigittae will be fine. I have them in a 15 gal that my girlfriend is currently taking care of for me since I couldn't move it with me. They look nice, and the Mr. Aqua tank isn't that much bigger. You can certainly add them no problem. And they are a very nice and active fish species, so I think they will be just fine. Another, additional benefit, is that they have a smaller bioload, unless of course you dump 50 of them in there, so the parameters should be nice.

Are you hoping to see the inhabitants more under close observation or from far away?

Simon

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
This tank looks great! I really like the "island" look of it. I think some small stems, anubias and glosso would look nice...but I have no clue which way you are going with this tank.

Quote:
I have about 300 to 400 brigittae right now so that is not the issue of getting enough fish.
Wow, you have alot...any chance of a tank picture with all these little guys in the tank? I assume it must be a 75g or larger to hold this many fish...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

brigittae leave shrimplets alone .... mine dont even investigate rcs babies ...
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes1911 View Post
brigittae leave shrimplets alone .... mine dont even investigate rcs babies ...
yes and no... I personally have not seen the brigittae eat any shrimplets BUT the shrimp population went down when I had the brigis in and the population went up when I removed the brigis. Where there's smoke, there's fire?

You can add White Clouds and not worry about heating the tank. Shrimps & the fish like it cooler.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
It depends on the shrimp Mr. Green, if it is sulawesi, it would like warmer, if it is CRS, it would like cool, if it is RCS, they won't care. What kind of shrimp are going to be in this by the way?

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have not decided on that either. I have so many to choose from.. I am thinking Orange Eye Blue tigers since they are not doing that well in the 10 gallon they are in now. a few females berried and then died. Water seems fine but I dont do alot of water changes.

I am sure it will come to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caton View Post
It depends on the shrimp Mr. Green, if it is sulawesi, it would like warmer, if it is CRS, it would like cool, if it is RCS, they won't care. What kind of shrimp are going to be in this by the way?

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know. My RCS population is increasing so I would tend to say that it's safe. Yet caution is always necessary when mixing shrimp and fish.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very cool looking. It has a quite a beach feel to it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode