Next go at it. 10 gallon planted tank. Let's see where it takes me - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Conrad283
  • 2 Post By Conrad283
  • 2 Post By hivemindhermit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Next go at it. 10 gallon planted tank. Let's see where it takes me

Hi everyone,

I had a previous tank journal about 4-5 years ago. I had started a 10 gallon planted tank with the hopes of starting a 20 gallon long planted tank (but wound up starting a planted fluval edge instead of the long).

Long story short, I was accepted into nurse anesthesia school and I moved to Florida from Colorado and had to break down all the tanks and move. When in Florida I set up the edge as a reef tank and had that for 3 years while I was in school. Graduated with my masters in nursing woth a concentration in anesthesia and I passed boards to make me a nurse anesthetist. Moved again and broke down the reef tank. I've always loved planted tanks, so I'm back...

I bought a 10 gallon standard tank from petco to put on my desk. Found 3 LFS close to where I work and started to look around. Great selection of product!

So far:
10 gallon aqueon tank and aqueon lid
Finnex fuge ray light
Aquaclear 30
Aqueon pro50 heater
Fluval stratum substrate
Seachem onyx sand
Seiryu stone
Driftwood x2

Rinsed the substrates out and added them to the tank. Positioned my rocks and driftwood and started soaking the driftwood. I weighted it down with a heavier seiryu stone that I will remove soon.

I let it run for about 48 hours to make sure everything way good. The LFS had some great looking small rasboras that I'm going to use to cycle the tank. When I bought them, the guy gabe me some filter water to help get the cycle going and I got the API quick start, stress coat, and stress zyme and dosed it last night. The water is still a little cloudy, but it's all good.

Trying to take it slow and do it right.

My plan for the plants are some blood vomit up front in the center, sagitaria sublata (sp?) front left, rotala in the back corners to hide the filter and heater, anubis nana petitis secured to the driftwood to give it a tree appearance.

My plan for the fish is to add cory's (not sure which species) and more rasboras. 2 otto's, maybe a small pleco (not sure about this one yet), and hopefully celestial pearl danios if the bioload isn't TOO high.

Thanks for looking. I'll add more pictures later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1512137581379_1512137596332.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	808266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171130_171859_1512137608658.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	808274  

lisals and lisals like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice start, cool desk set-up... Just keep up with your water changes as it cycles, don't want to hurt the fish. Sounds like your stocking seems deep for a 10 gallon, you may want to go slow and really let the bio-load build and catch up and keep a close eye on water params! Keep us posted!

PhillyDubs
NYC
Wild Discus Lover- Planted Tank Wannabe...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydubs View Post
Nice start, cool desk set-up... Just keep up with your water changes as it cycles, don't want to hurt the fish. Sounds like your stocking seems deep for a 10 gallon, you may want to go slow and really let the bio-load build and catch up and keep a close eye on water params! Keep us posted!
Like said it seems like you are aiming a little high but I think it can be done in a ten I mean I have seen more done in a ten with great success. I would say get either the rasboras or the CPDs as then you can get more of them and when they school it will look better than two small groups of different fish.
Doesn't blood vomit like co2? I didn't see any talk of it so just asking if you thin it will do okay without the co2 since it will be so close to the light since its only a 10 gallon.
I'd recommend any of the dwarf corys as the bigger ones might uproot somethings and cause messes. Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus and C. hastatus are all cute and small enough you could keep 6-10 with the CPDs or rasboras. No need for a pleco IMHO as you can take care of it with scrapping the glass which there isn't a lot of and tuning your lights so they aren't on long enough for algae to take hold.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydubs View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I plan to do frequent water changes in the past as I finally have a tank next to a bathroom, haha.

I plan to go real slow with adding fish as my first tank ever I added way too much way too fast and had a terrible time of it. I want to cycle this one a bit more and then add plants. Once it's well cycled I will add a few more fish (probably Cory's) and then wait a while. It's tough to wait, but like I said, I've gone too fast in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackon View Post
Like said it seems like you are aiming a little high but I think it can be done in a ten I mean I have seen more done in a ten with great success. I would say get either the rasboras or the CPDs as then you can get more of them and when they school it will look better than two small groups of different fish.
Doesn't blood vomit like co2? I didn't see any talk of it so just asking if you thin it will do okay without the co2 since it will be so close to the light since its only a 10 gallon.
I'd recommend any of the dwarf corys as the bigger ones might uproot somethings and cause messes. Corydoras pygmaeus, C. habrosus and C. hastatus are all cute and small enough you could keep 6-10 with the CPDs or rasboras. No need for a pleco IMHO as you can take care of it with scrapping the glass which there isn't a lot of and tuning your lights so they aren't on long enough for algae to take hold.
I do like the idea of more of one fish than a small amount of two. All in time.

I have a really good CO2 regulator that I can add if the plants I do decide on require it. We shall see. More research over the weekend.
Brackon and Brackon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Did about a 35% water change or so. Well poop. The fish didn't like that at all. I lost 2 rasboras almost immediately, so I'm thinking my tap water is crap or I just changed too much, but I lean towards the former.

I'll try my next water change with just 1 gallon and see where that takes me. I probably won't get to do another water change for a couple days, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Kinda bummed, but it is what it is. I just fed the 3 remaining and they are eager to eat, so maybe a delayed water change isn't such a bad thing

I went to test my water today, but I realized that the test bottles for my API master test kit have expired. Could that give me false results? Nevertheless, the LFS I started going to has the kit for $5 less than petco (score), so I may just pick another one up.

I removed the big rock that was weighing down the driftwood and I'm happy to report that it is fully saturated and did not float

Last edited by Conrad283; 12-03-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Changed photo hosting site
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry this may sound rude but did you add dechlorinator to the water before you added it to the tank? I'm assuming you did and thats why you are confused why they died. Maybe because of your substrate there is a significant pH difference and that shocked them a little and maybe there was a temp difference and that might have shocked them too. Alone most of these things aren't too harmful but combined they can be deadly and also when they are significant it can also cause death. So my opinion is just do smaller changes like you said so sounds like you are on the right path.

My 29 gallon tetra tank that I just throw plants at

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:05 AM
Algae Grower

Another thing to be careful about is water temperature. Needs to be about the same as the tank, or you risk causing gas bubble disease.

By the way, both corys and otos are shoaling species and do best in groups of six or more. Actually pretty much all the fish you want are like that, except the pleco. So you might want to rethink stocking a little.

Anyway, I like the hardscape!

- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackon View Post
Sorry this may sound rude but did you add dechlorinator to the water before you added it to the tank? I'm assuming you did and thats why you are confused why they died. Maybe because of your substrate there is a significant pH difference and that shocked them a little and maybe there was a temp difference and that might have shocked them too. Alone most of these things aren't too harmful but combined they can be deadly and also when they are significant it can also cause death. So my opinion is just do smaller changes like you said so sounds like you are on the right path.
Not rude at all

No declorinator. Straight from the tap to the tank via a slow trickle with a 1/4" hose, definitely went slow re-adding the water.

It could have been the temperature, but they seemed pretty equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemindhermit View Post
Another thing to be careful about is water temperature. Needs to be about the same as the tank, or you risk causing gas bubble disease.

By the way, both corys and otos are shoaling species and do best in groups of six or more. Actually pretty much all the fish you want are like that, except the pleco. So you might want to rethink stocking a little.

Anyway, I like the hardscape!
It could've been the water temp. I'll monitor that better next time

I plan on adding a bunch of cory's (at least 6) and maybe more if I decide on the pygmy cory's. I like as many fish as possible. Watching these rasboras has gotten me thinking about just having those as the cory's. They're really active in the tank and I nice group of them would go a long way.

I had a previous 5 gallon tank with a betta, 2 otto's and 2 amano shrimp and the tank ran itself. It was a very self sufficient tank which pleased me, but the otto's didn't seem to mind being the 2 of them.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Algae Grower

They probably didn't mind, but from what I hear, they're way happier - and thus more fun to watch - in groups. Same as corys, really. You don't get the full range of natural behaviour with just a couple.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Conrad283 and Conrad283 like this.

- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My latest tank update. YouTube style!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode