• 4 Post By Brackon
  • 4 Post By Brackon
  • 2 Post By Brackon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
29G Tetra Tank

This is going to be a typical journal I want to layout my journey with this tank through my last year at college.
The tank is a stock 29 gallon Aqueon tank

Fauna:
21 Hasemania nana
4 Poecilia salvatoris and breeding sporadically
2 Panaqolus albomaculatus
1 Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus

Flora:
Substrate is mix between pool filter sand/crushed coral/Flourite Black
2 driftwood pieces
1 Mopani
2 Malaysian driftwood

Anubias frazeri
Anubias hastifolia
Anubias nana
Bucephalandra Magnum Blue
Bucephalandra Purple Blue
Cryptocoryne 2 different and unidentified as I've had these for years
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne blassii
Hygrophila difformis
Lobelia cardinalis
Pogostemon stellatus 'octopus'
Vallisneria americana
Vallisneria spiralis var. tortissima

Equipment:
Aqueon QuietFlow 30
SunSun HW-603B
Aqueon 150W
Aqueon 500gph circulation pump
Beamswork DA FSPEC 30 inch

I want to move over to co2 injection in the future but for now there isn't any on this tank.
I use Easy Green as my all in one fert but I will move to something a little more concrete like EI dosing but I haven't done this before so I'll be asking for help lots
I run my lights for 3 hours in the morning then a 4 hour break and another 6 hours of light. I do this as I find it helps with algae and then I can see my tank later in the day and into the night as I get home around 4 most days. I also keep the temp around 80 degrees Fahrenheit and I also have a generic glass lid as well

If I missed something feel free to ask. I will try to get pictures up but they will be phone quality as I have no other camera
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	808186  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump
I was wondering if anyone has had a silver queen crypt as mine like any other crypt suffered from melt and is finally starting back up with a tiny leaf and was wondering if they suffered from any particular problems like nutrient deficiencies or light needs. I hope it comes back as I spend about 20$ on it and would like to have it survive. My Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia has come back as well as my blassii but the second much slower and is throwing more compact growth and much smaller maybe just because it was set back so much when it melted.

Another question is what would be a good start on getting test kits because I want to eventually move over to dry ferts but I'm using Easy Green from Aquarium Co-op

My 29 gallon tetra tank that I just throw plants at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Brackon; 12-07-2017 at 07:07 PM. Reason: errors in typing I just had too much coffee
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

It's looking great.

Mike

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
It looks fantastic... as to crypt ponterifollia... I don't think it can be killed... I've tried... so many times.. It's the only plant that not only survived, but did pretty well in my 150 Hap Peacock tank despite them munching on it pretty frequently. My experience is that pretty much all crypts come back... don't mess with it. Leave it rooted where it was. Eventually it will sprout back up. They grow differently in different conditions. I have some becketti in my 11.4 that's leaves are MAYBE 2.5"... It's a perfect little foreground and it never gets taller. In my 75 with C02 the leaves are probably 6 - 7"... and they are from the same tissue culture. C02 will add a whole new level of enjoyment, but it looks like you've mastered the low tech scape.
In the 11.4

In the 75

Twin high tech 75's -
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I have been doing low tech tanks since I started planted tanks back in like 2012 so I would hope after 5 years of experimenting I would have at least a little bit down. I don't know if I would say mastered it but close for being a mere 20 years old.

Did a small rescape but I had to move a few more things around after it cleared up as I wasn't totally satisfied yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	810074  

Name:	IMG_1953.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	810082  

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

Keep us posted. I always like seeing other 29 Gallon tanks.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhiker View Post
Keep us posted. I always like seeing other 29 Gallon tanks.
I know there are not that many and a buddy of mine said that he hates it because of the odd dimensions and the height makes plant growth hard but I like it. I hope to get a lot more pictures of this transformation as I want to get a few more stem plants like Hottonia palustris and even some stargrass. That along with the slow growth of the anubias, bucephalandra and cryptocorynes it should be really nice by the time I have to break it down and move it to the new house.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 01:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackon View Post
I know there are not that many and a buddy of mine said that he hates it because of the odd dimensions and the height makes plant growth hard but I like it. I hope to get a lot more pictures of this transformation as I want to get a few more stem plants like Hottonia palustris and even some stargrass. That along with the slow growth of the anubias, bucephalandra and cryptocorynes it should be really nice by the time I have to break it down and move it to the new house.
I like how your signature says that you just threw plants at your tank; that's exactly what happened with my 29G. It's a gamish of plants that were extra for my 75G plus some that I bought just for it. I actually really like how it came out even though I had only the sketchiest of plans. I understand how your friend can feel that way, but it works out very nicely once the plants grow.

Good luck and enjoy!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhiker View Post
I like how your signature says that you just threw plants at your tank; that's exactly what happened with my 29G. It's a gamish of plants that were extra for my 75G plus some that I bought just for it. I actually really like how it came out even though I had only the sketchiest of plans. I understand how your friend can feel that way, but it works out very nicely once the plants grow.

Good luck and enjoy!
I really like it because its a perfect viewing pane. I just think 20 longs look funny but 33 longs and 40s are fine. I just like feel like the standard tank dimension ratios are really good and I don't love specialty tanks. Yeah its mostly to do with it being a little deep for how long it is. I'd say they need to make 30 gallon long tanks more normal in the hobby. I know there is the 33 long but its expensive and not common.

Do you have a tank journal so we can see your miscellaneous 29 gallon too? @beckyhiker

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackon View Post
I really like it because its a perfect viewing pane. I just think 20 longs look funny but 33 longs and 40s are fine. I just like feel like the standard tank dimension ratios are really good and I don't love specialty tanks. Yeah its mostly to do with it being a little deep for how long it is. I'd say they need to make 30 gallon long tanks more normal in the hobby. I know there is the 33 long but its expensive and not common.

Do you have a tank journal so we can see your miscellaneous 29 gallon too? @beckyhiker
Yes, I do. It's here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...est-glade.html

I hope that link works. I apologize for the quality of the photos, I only have my phone camera.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just some plant updates. I am glad the crypts are getting more dense they had just been about 5 leaves for so long I didn't even notice they got so big. The Lobelia cardinalis is doing good and the growth is awesome from the pogostemon as I hacked it down to barely a few inches poking above the substrate hoping I wouldn't have to trim too soon and yet they are still growing crazy.

The only real update besides the growth is that the hygrophila difformis hates this tank so its in the little 5 gallon next to this tank. I think it is a deficiency but I dose easy green lots and its supposed to be an all around fert. So maybe its just the harder water here that kills it then the snails snack on the dying edges leaving me with tattered leaves and this leads to any new growth being stunted so into the 5 gallon they went. I hope to get something like hygro blue to add in its place or maybe some bacopa as I have been eyeing some Bacopa amplexicaulis as I like the saw tooth edges on it and how it isn't as round as other Bacopas.

Bump: Also if anyone knows how to put the pictures in the text that would be great as I really want to be able to label stuff and talk about a picture right above it instead of having it below all of the text
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1990.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	812794  

Name:	IMG_1991.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	812802  

Name:	IMG_1989.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	812810  

Name:	IMG_1988.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	812818  

Name:	IMG_1987.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	812826  

The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tank is looking good. As for photos you need to use a hosting site. I use imgur. Select the photo and click the share direct link and copy the address to your clip board. Go to the Planted tank thread and hit the button next from the far right and paste the address. Its the icon that looks like a picture of mountains and a sun. Then you can write right under the picture in the post.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Tank is looking good. As for photos you need to use a hosting site. I use imgur. Select the photo and click the share direct link and copy the address to your clip board. Go to the Planted tank thread and hit the button next from the far right and paste the address. Its the icon that looks like a picture of mountains and a sun. Then you can write right under the picture in the post.

[IMG]IMG_1987 by brackonward, on Flickr[/IMG]This is the same picture as above just checking to see if it works by using the link.
Also if anyone knows what I should call this crypt I would appreciate it as I've had this for like 5 years and don't know the name anymore

Last edited by Brackon; 12-21-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Fixed the picture hopefully

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode