60p escape from reality - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
Don't feel bad. This place is more or less in death throes...dying slowly. A few years ago even a boring build thread would have pages of comments and discussion. A really good build would easily be 20+ pages. Now...it's just kinda meh around here. Facebook has pretty much destroyed forums as we once knew them and sad really. I'll take an active forum over a Fb page any day.
Yea I remember the good old days of forums it definitely has slowed down alot. Not as entertaining as silly memes and 5 second videos I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogathon View Post
[Img]http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img924/9365/Rc11NN.jpg[img]

Bump: I don't know how to properly attach pictures any help would be greatly appreciated
Your missing the forward / slash on your pic address in front of the second IMG.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacitBlues View Post
I would use imgur, you don't even need an account to upload photos. Then you right click on the photo you've uploaded, say "copy photo location," come to the forum and click on the little yellow mountain/photo icon in the bar above the message box (it should say "insert image" if you hover over it). Paste in the photo location and it should insert a IMG tag with the url of your photo. I'm never sure if there's a size limit to the photo you have to worry about or not because all these forums have different rules, but that should get you started at least. Nice looking tank, btw
So it's the browser I have been using.... I switched to chrome and all those options apear for me. Wish I knew a few hours ago... unneeded stress

Last edited by scrogathon; 12-01-2017 at 02:04 AM. Reason: I'm crazy

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A great start indeed.
I would make sure that when you get melt or yellowing leaves etc you snip them asap, they are only a waste to the plant. Also it looks like you've placed green cabomba (think that's the name) in front of you left rock. This plant as you already know is a menace for fast growth. I would move it to the back somewhere as it will, before long, shadow that rock and reach the top of the tank. Just my 2C
Also don't worry about the slowness of comments. This journal should be for you to record your progress and share with everyone, even if they don't reply. Many people just read (I know I do) but feel they have no input or opinion worth while. You're doing a great job!
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
A great start indeed.
I would make sure that when you get melt or yellowing leaves etc you snip them asap, they are only a waste to the plant. Also it looks like you've placed green cabomba (think that's the name) in front of you left rock. This plant as you already know is a menace for fast growth. I would move it to the back somewhere as it will, before long, shadow that rock and reach the top of the tank. Just my 2C
Also don't worry about the slowness of comments. This journal should be for you to record your progress and share with everyone, even if they don't reply. Many people just read (I know I do) but feel they have no input or opinion worth while. You're doing a great job!
I will be sure to keep posting on here as much as I can even if noone is commenting I too am one to browse and not comment but sometimes it helps me keep motivated to do more postings. The green cabomba was sold to me as limnophila sessiflora but it defiantly looks just like the cabomba red in the back, And your right it likes to grow almost an inch a day I didn't think anything would grow that fast.
I'm learning alot along the way and really do enjoy the hobby but have run into a few issues with co2. I finally decided to add some harlequin rasboros to the tank but immediately they started gasping for air and doing backflips. So they are currently hanging out in a low tech 5 gallon tank for trimmings. Luckily I caught them in time before they starved of air. A little nervous to turn down the co2 as I barely have any algae in my tank and I don't want a giant outburst if I turn it down. Maybe I have read misinformation about co2 holding back algae and it's not so big of a deal to knock it back a little.

Was running about 2.5 to 3 bps and it's now sitting around 1 bps. It's a small tank so im sure I was going overkill but the drop checker never went yellow like it was suppose to if I am overdosing co2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171201_150030_1512165574972.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	808370  

Fire Aqua 60cm 17 g rimless with 5lb co2
Fire Aqua 40cm 17 g rimless cube low tech
Fluval 7.9g rimless super low tech
5 gallon trimmings tank
Soon to be setup 90g high tech
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Algae Grower

I don't comment much because I'm in the sponge mode for now but you are off to a good start.

Mike
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have read the same thing about co2 in excess keeping algae away, question is did we both read a load of crap?
Honestly I can say this, 1bps is very normal dosing rate for co2. You're doing great! Just keep an eye on things, algae truly isn't the be all and end all either. You can battle it in different forms. Also with the taller fast growing stems you have, they would be sucking up the nutrients and hopefully keeping algae at bay anyway.
Good save on the rasboras!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So after a few days of running a new co2 reactor I've noticed that my monte Carlo is starting to turn white and melt away. Not sure if it has anything to do with it.
I have been dosing some excel and doing regular fertilizer doses with seachem flourish and trace.

I added 5 rasboros a few days ago and that's really all that has changed.

Does anyone have any tips? It's very disheartening to see all the monte Carlo melting away. Everything else is doing well so i don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I started today off with a 50% water change and upped the co2 just a tad.

Really hard to see in the picture as my phone camera is broken and won't focus.

Edit to avoid double post:

Did some reading and I likely have started to have some nutrient deficiencies as I have only been dosing flourish, flourish trace and flourish iron on the regular and just recently started dosing potassium.

My fert list is:
Flourish
Flourish Trace
Flourish Iron
Flourish Potassium

As of today I just added:
Flourish Nitrogen
And some DNF KH2PO4 - mono potassium phosphate since I don't have seachem phosphorus on hand.

5 gallon trimmings tank

Last edited by scrogathon; 12-06-2017 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Info and deleted blurry pic
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New phone takes great shots into the tank. Better shot of the die off in my tank.
Notice how white the money Carlo has gotten.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171205_230110_1512529061306.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	809354  

5 gallon trimmings tank
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Little update on the tank. I dose daily using dry ferts exclusively using rotala butterfly calculator.
Tanks looking a little messy but otherwise really healthy.

No hair algae since adding the 5 Siamese algae eaters.

Still waiting for the Monte Carlo carpet to fill in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171224_125753_1514150541904.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	813482  

iamaloner and iamaloner like this.

5 gallon trimmings tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode