ADA Mini-M & Mini-L Iwagumi (updated July 14th) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Arrow ADA Mini-M & Mini-L Iwagumi (updated July 14th)

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of starting a pair of new ADA Mini nanos so I thought I'd create a journal to share my experience and get advice. Here are the specs for the tank:

Mini-L

Light: Archaea 36W CF clip-on
Filter: Eheim 2213
Heater: Hydor ETH 200 in-line
CO2: Archaea regulator with paintball adapter (used with Sera Aktiv reactor)
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Normal & Powder
Stone: ADA Ryuoh
Flora: Hemianthus callitrichoides and Eleocharis acicularis
Fauna: Boraras merah, corydoras pygmaeus, CRS

Mini-M

Light: ADA Solar Mini-M
Filter: Eheim 2211
Heater: Hydor ETH 201 in-line
CO2: Fluval CO2 88 system (discussed here)
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Normal & Powder
Stone: ADA Ohko
Flora: Utricularia graminifolia
Fauna: CPDs and CBS

Here are the images:

Mini-L tank

Aquasoil substrate

ADA Ryuoh stones (15 lbs)

Eheim 2213 canister

CO2 equipment

HC

Archaea light on Mini-L

Hardscape in Mini-M

Closeup of ohko stones

To be continued...

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

Last edited by TLE041; 07-15-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Currently, the Mini-L is in its second week of the dry start. All of the plantlets are alive, but nearly all of the previously submerged leaves have melted and new smaller, brighter green leaves have appeared. The dwarf hairgrass is doing great. There's no browning of the leaves at all. There's a lot of new growth and it's sending runners that are popping up new plants. I'm planning on adding a clear plastic divider to keep it contained.

I'm misting the substrate with water and Excel+Flourish once a day. The top is covered with saran wrap (with holes).

For the Mini-M, I had UG growing emmersed for about a week while I was waiting for the supplies to come in. I planted it yesterday. It was a looooooonnnnngggg and extremely tedious process. I wanted the UG to fill in faster so I separated all the blades and planted each individually.

Comments and suggestions are always appreciated.

Tony

My

and my

post #3 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very cool tank setups. This must have cost a fortune!

post #4 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Good start. Do it right from the beginning. Interested to start hearing feedback on the new Fluval Co2 system...
post #5 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetrabettaguy97 View Post
Very cool tank setups. This must have cost a fortune!
Unfortunately, it did.

The tanks are worth the price, IMO. The only thing I didn't like was the shipping cost for everything cost a fortune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GitMoe View Post
Good start. Do it right from the beginning. Interested to start hearing feedback on the new Fluval Co2 system...
Sure. I'll post a review of the CO2 kit as soon as I get it running. The UG dry start just started so it'll be a month or so before I flood the tank.

Tony

My

and my

post #6 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like you're off to a great start.
That DHG is gonna' be a pain to trim and pluck if you don't want it invading your HC.
post #7 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Those look great, nothing beats a full ADA setup IMO. I'm bummed I sold mine off!
If I could make a suggestion, dry start the UG for a little longer than a week. I dry started mine back when I had it for about 3 weeks, then filled and was more than happy with how fast it filled and grew in.
Let me know how you like that Archaea light, I've been considering getting it since I got my Mini-L which I'm still yet to setup haha.

|

post #8 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
Those look great, nothing beats a full ADA setup IMO. I'm bummed I sold mine off!
If I could make a suggestion, dry start the UG for a little longer than a week. I dry started mine back when I had it for about 3 weeks, then filled and was more than happy with how fast it filled and grew in.
Let me know how you like that Archaea light, I've been considering getting it since I got my Mini-L which I'm still yet to setup haha.
Thanks! I definitely plan to grow the UG emmersed for at least a month.

The Archaea light is really bright. I've had to raise it up from the tank by 2 more inches to avoid burning the HC. You should definitely get it. Until ADA comes out with a Solar Mini-L, this is the next best thing IMO.

Tony

My

and my

post #9 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Mini-L - 3rd week

All the immersed leaves have melted away by now leaving only the newly formed emersed leaves. There's a little bit of yellowing that I'm attributing to the 36W light so I decided to raise the fixture 2" higher. I'm also misting it with water containing Flourish iron. Growth isn't as fast as I was hoping it'll be.

Mini-M - 2nd week

Not much change in the UG plantlets. There's no evidence of melting to be seen, but no new growth either. I'm hoping that it's because the plants are devoting all its energy into developing new roots before new leaves can appear.

Tony

My

and my

post #10 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

You might consider moving the small rock at the front in the Mini-M up a bit, UG is really good at covering up anything under like 1.5" high, especially in such a small tank.

|

post #11 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
the tanks look great!

where did you pick up that fluval co2 system? I didnt think they had been released yet.

post #12 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
You might consider moving the small rock at the front in the Mini-M up a bit, UG is really good at covering up anything under like 1.5" high, especially in such a small tank.
Thanks for the suggestion. That rock was a small piece that broke off from one of the bigger ones during shipping (Ohko stone will crumble if you look at it wrong). I might take it out if it gets completely covered by the UG later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
the tanks look great!

where did you pick up that fluval co2 system? I didnt think they had been released yet.
Thank you. I bought it from a Canadian e-retailer, but it's available here for a great price (no idea if it's in stock, though).

Tony

My

and my

post #13 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Things are looking great. I'm in the process of setting up a mini m as well. Ive wanted to get one of these tanks for the longest time. I'm debating what to put in mine so I'm very curious how the UG turns out. Looking forward to the updates.

-

-
-
AQUATIC GAZETTE FEATURE

post #14 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:15 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
loookiing good keep us update
post #15 of 274 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
nice start, i cant wait to see the progress!

Tags
ada, iwagumi, mini, nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode