75g SA Community- "This stand ain't going to build itself!" - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
75g SA Community- "This stand ain't going to build itself!"

A month ago, I bought a 75g from Petco DPG sale. My main 50g tank has turned into a growout for Keyhole Cichlid fry, and I needed space for the other adults.

I quickly built a utilitarian stand out of 2x4s with the plan to skin it with particleboard panels from an old desk that I had been meaning to take to the landfill.

Rushing headlong into the project, I followed my rudimentary design, with plans to "slap a coat of paint on it", proud that I was saving trees and reusing old wood. I soon realized I was more likely to be embarassed by the outcome than proud of it.

This started a series of redesigns coupled with the realization that my meager woodworking tools/skills are inadequate. Cuts need to be *accurate*, not just "really close". What did I get myself into!?

I began watching woodworking YouTube videos and asking lots of questions:

* Why paint it black if I can stain it?
* How do you stain plywood?
* How do you get matching hardwood and plywood that will have the same appearance?
* What is the best kind of wood for my project?
* How do I use plywood without exposing the unfinished ends?
* If I use trim, how do I find trim wood that matches my plywood?
* Where do I find attractive plywood?
* What kinds of hinges am I going to use?
* How do I design a canopy lid?
* etc

I'll be honest, I got in way over my head. I haven't done any serious woodworking projects, at least not any with a finished appearance.

Last week I pulled the trigger on some plywood, purchased the door hinges and some hardwood for detail. Built a rip jig and started a crosscut jig.
However, I've been nursing a back injury, and in the past few weeks it has gotten *cold* outside. My motivation has tanked!

Anyway, I figure if I share my project, I might find some motivation to get things going again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171019_174010.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	804874  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171114_172122.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	804882  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Algae Grower

Small steps cover many miles.

Good luck, I also appreciate your situation.
Janie

Sent from my SM-T337V using Tapatalk
mbkemp, mbkemp, ChrisX and 1 others like this.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are the Neons going in here? How many total? I'm really liking the look of a big group of Neons / Cardinals. Haven't lost a single one of the new batch. 25 in that 75 gallon is going to disappear easily.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude1 View Post
Are the Neons going in here? How many total? I'm really liking the look of a big group of Neons / Cardinals. Haven't lost a single one of the new batch. 25 in that 75 gallon is going to disappear easily.
The Neons are going in the 50g after I have sold the keyhole fry. They were supposed to go in there, but the Keyholes spawned.

I'm thinking that the 75g should be a lower maintenance tank with some larger fish. It will have adult keyholes, but I might also get a single t-bar, a pack of angels, etc. If there is a schooling fish, it will be larger. Maybe buenos aires tetras.

For plants, I am thinking low tech with easy growing plants. Hygo polysperma, water sprite, swords, water column feeders and hardscape. There might be some areas of high-tech substrate, but not planning any CO2. Will probably experiment with peat moss for marginal lowering of pH.

Actually still undecided on the direction of tank, but I want it to be lower maintenance. The 50g is still intended to be my aquascaping tank.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I keep having setback after setback, and all of them related to tools (circular saw).

I got a TON of practice with the circular saw cutting up the old desk. The saw base has flex, so for perfect 90* cuts it takes a light touch. I've accurately calibrated the angle of the blade, and played with the height so that the depth comes to the middle of the teeth. I've learned to cut with the nice face down.

I built TWO rip jigs and both times the same thing happened. Despite a light touch and a BRAND F**** NEW blade, both jigs had to be recut because the blade goes off course and starts eating into the side of the jig!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have practiced and done it enough times to realize there is something wrong with the saw or the blades I have chosen. Because end goal is to cut the veneered plywood, I have chosen 140 tooth plywood blades. I'm fine with a slower cut, but these blades don't have any kerf afaict, and this may lead to problems because the side of the blade is dragging against the side of the jig, which causes it to sway.

Work is properly supported, I've practiced a ton and I cant get through a single long cut without some sort of mishap. Thankfully I planned out the cuts so that I'm getting my practice on rough cuts, but this is demoralizing.

Maybe these crude rip jigs are preferred for work sites with 20 blade saws where they are ripping sheaths. idk.

I'm not sure if the play in the saw's base is the problem or if the blades I've chosen are the issue, but I'm either going to give up and buy a stand, or buy a table saw and pray I can get some straight cuts.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.

Last edited by ChrisX; 11-20-2017 at 11:29 PM. Reason: grrr!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm going to soldier on; get a better blade and build a table saw.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
I'm going to soldier on; get a better blade and build a table saw.
I BRIEFLY considered building my own stand and canopy for the cookie cutter 265. Once I factored in tools, mistakes, and supplies I just don't have the tenacity to do it. Is this related to the frame that you already built or finishing materials?

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I BRIEFLY considered building my own stand and canopy for the cookie cutter 265. Once I factored in tools, mistakes, and supplies I just don't have the tenacity to do it. Is this related to the frame that you already built or finishing materials?
The frame is easy, my problem has been with having the right tools to cut the plywood. Home Depot does cuts, but not to the accuracy I need.

Quality furniture is built with cabinet saws and high quality tools. Rip jigs and cheap circular saws with lots of slop are not used, despite what youtube shows. Alot of those DIY tools are good for jobsite work, not furniture building.

Large pieces need to be properly supported so veneer is not damaged, which takes a large surface table saw. Mitre cuts are usually made with a mitre saw, a crosscut jig can be constructed, but these things take much longer with inadequate tools.

Many of the DIY tank stand builds use really poor construction techniques and liberal use of trim and finishing nails to hide inaccuracy from cuts made by the big box store. (Big box store cuts destroy the plywood veneer - they use framing blades for fast cuts, which ruins the wood for my purposes.)

IOW, the more I learned about proper woodworking and cabinet building, I realized my chance of success was not good without better tools. The cost of these tools makes the stand much more expensive than just buying a stand. More problematic is that I didn't factor in the build/setup time of these tools. I need tank space asap. I've got a little more than $125 into wood and tools so far, I would end up ahead if just buy a stand and take the loss.

However, I will probably get a table saw and try to finish this, even though I had never imagined woodworking as a hobby. This was actually enjoyable when it was warm outside, but my garage is not heated or ventilated and this is taking up a garage space.

Live and learn.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
If I was buying a large tank, I would absolutely build it myself. The high quality large stands are really expensive. The petsmart ones are still expensive and low quality... not good enough for a 265g tank.

What stand were you going to get for the 265? Link? Do you have the tank yet?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Marineland Tank Black 265-Gallons 85Lx24Wx30H Reef Ready
I just decoded to buy a readymade one after setback after setback of having one built in my home in TN. What better time to have a tank built than while the house is under construction. I just lost faith in the subcontractor for the job. I'm going to do the regular old Monterrey stand and canopy. I'm going to buy it all once we return from Christmas vacation. I.dont want to leave my Z06 outside for 6 days while we are out of state. The insurance policy states that it has to be stored in the garage when we are out of town. I don't need any issues with insurance on a 100k sports car that I own outright.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Huh? I thought you were pre med in florida. Maybe im thinking someone else.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 03:08 AM
Algae Grower

did you make a jig like this? If you did, you are moving the heel of the saw out if your cuts are digging in. Must keep it flat on the rail/fence.

Bump: also, what saw are you using
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audimurf View Post
did you make a jig like this? If you did, you are moving the heel of the saw out if your cuts are digging in. Must keep it flat on the rail/fence.
Amazing Circular Saw Jig: Quick, Accurate & Easy - YouTube

Bump: also, what saw are you using
Yes, like that.

The problem is the blade I chose. I read reviews someone else having same problem. 140 blade says plywood and veneer, but this is probably for 1/4" veneer.

The blade has zero kerf (and is really slow cutting) which means that during operation, the side of the spinning blade is pressed against the jig, which creates drag and bounce.

If I apply more pressure to keep the saw FIRMLY against the rail, the base plate flexes, the cut is no longer 90* and that causes binding and kick. Ryobi cheapie. Junk tools and wrong blade.

Last edited by ChrisX; 11-22-2017 at 12:14 PM. Reason: more
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Huh? I thought you were pre med in florida. Maybe im thinking someone else.
I am. 2 more semesters before I can start Med School or PA school. I may just do PA and get a research PhD. This is my second career though and I have been fortunate.
The house here is only 1600 sq ft so the tank would be in the garage for a while until I can rearrange things. I'm not getting that massive setup and the Z06 comfortably in the garage.

Twin high tech 75's -
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
The frame is easy, my problem has been with having the right tools to cut the plywood. Home Depot does cuts, but not to the accuracy I need.

Quality furniture is built with cabinet saws and high quality tools. Rip jigs and cheap circular saws with lots of slop are not used, despite what youtube shows. Alot of those DIY tools are good for jobsite work, not furniture building.

Large pieces need to be properly supported so veneer is not damaged, which takes a large surface table saw. Mitre cuts are usually made with a mitre saw, a crosscut jig can be constructed, but these things take much longer with inadequate tools.

Many of the DIY tank stand builds use really poor construction techniques and liberal use of trim and finishing nails to hide inaccuracy from cuts made by the big box store. (Big box store cuts destroy the plywood veneer - they use framing blades for fast cuts, which ruins the wood for my purposes.)

IOW, the more I learned about proper woodworking and cabinet building, I realized my chance of success was not good without better tools. The cost of these tools makes the stand much more expensive than just buying a stand. More problematic is that I didn't factor in the build/setup time of these tools. I need tank space asap. I've got a little more than $125 into wood and tools so far, I would end up ahead if just buy a stand and take the loss.

However, I will probably get a table saw and try to finish this, even though I had never imagined woodworking as a hobby. This was actually enjoyable when it was warm outside, but my garage is not heated or ventilated and this is taking up a garage space.

Live and learn.
You might be able to use a router with a flush trim bit to straighten that edge out. You'd have to guide it with a straight edge. I'd also recommend using a Kreg Jig. They cost quite a bit, but well worth it. I would also put the legs on the corners and miter cut the top corners. The legs should be able to hold up the weight of the aquarium.

These below are angle drilled screw holes from the Kreg Jig.
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode