Chumlee's 20g long**replaced with 29g** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Chumlee's 20g long**replaced with 29g**

I originally had a 20g long but upgraded to a 29g please see the most recent page of the thread for the latest updates on my 29g

I wish I would've started from the beginning when I added my substrate and everything so you can see the development but Im starting like a couple of weeks into the tank.

Substrate: Flora max / sand
Lighting: aquatic life 2x24w T5HO 1x6500k 1xRoseate 650nm
Filter: Penguin biowheel filter (biowheel removed) rated up to 50g I think. Aquaclear sponges shoved into the media compartment (I had them laying around)
C02: DIY paintball pressurized at about 3-4bps
Ferts: none yet, ordering some tonight from aquariumfertilizer.com (I know , I had no money !!!!! Kind of late to order the ferts lol)
Flora: Microsword, water wisteria, java moss, undulata, Jungle val.
Fauna: 2 GBR's , 1 angelfish which I had from my 55g, 7 neon tetras, 2 otos.

Heres a fts from today. critique and suggestions for fish or plants or anything are encouraged.

Last edited by chumlee; 01-03-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good! I really like the moss on that log. And the lighting and dark substrate & background (I almost typed blackground, haha) give it a really dramatic look.

-squint-
Do you have RCS in there? All those little red specks on the bottom!

56G - Mixed Mbuna
29G - Blue Gouramis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10G - Empty!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
Looks good! I really like the moss on that log. And the lighting and dark substrate & background (I almost typed blackground, haha) give it a really dramatic look.

-squint-
Do you have RCS in there? All those little red specks on the bottom!
Its a lot lighter in person but the red specks on the bottom are bloodworms that I just finished feeding to my fish. My GBR's were listed as wild in the store so Im trying to give them food they're more likely to eat until they loosen up to my aquarium. I would like to get some shrimp but Im not sure how compatible they would be in my tank. I might just have to start up a low tech shrimp tank then, i have another 20g sitting around, and all of the the equipment but a heater. I need more money!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 03:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too be honest what drew me to this thread initially was the name "chumlee" lol, and sure enough I see your AV. I like watching pawnstars with it's quirky characters when it's on.

Really nice tank, I was going to suggest some ground carpet but I read JulieR's post and I do agree about the dark substrate (I also use FloraMax Midnight) & background giving a nice dramatic look. Some RCS definitely would provide a nice contrast to all the black especially crawling around the java moss.

You can always buy some cheap ghost shrimp (about 33 cents a piece at most LFS) first to see how they do in your tank (although they'd probably be hard to see in the tank being that they are clear) Shrimps are fun to watch.

I used to have Wisteria, they grew fast and bushy. I ended up taking them out cause I didn't want them to block the light on my glosso carpet as it starts growing in.

Last edited by AquaTEK; 11-24-2010 at 10:08 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Been looking around for a little bit and I am going to move my fish to my other tank and possibly give some away or to my lfs for credit, and make my tank into a shrimp tank. CANT WAIT!!!!!! They look so awesome lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bought 10 ghost shrimp from petsmart. Look pretty good in my tank. Gonna keep them for a few days and see how they do and then move onto RCS. Do ghost shrimp reproduce as quickly as RCS?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive been amused by these little guys all day, cant wait for the rcs, going to be great. Heres a picture I took of them. Nothing amazing(because nobody really cares about ghost shrimp), but Im bored so I thought id upload some stuff. btw I just blew my check valve off of my pressurized c02 setup when I was adjusting it and now I have to go change my pants LOL.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:47 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Well, I care about ghost shrimp!! They are pretty fascinating shrimp! They need brackish water, I believe, for the little ones to grow. Babies are born in larval stage and I have heard that they are very difficult to feed. Someone with more experience on that correct me please!
I think I'd replace that Wisteria too - it's too weedy for me anymore - great plant to get things going though since it does grow so fast. If you want something wispy looking, fine leaved, maybe Ambulia or Mayaca might interest you.
Just throwing it out there to think on.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
And VERY NICE tank too!!!
Love the wood with moss!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Im receiving my ferts in the mail sometime in the next few days so ill have a lot more options once I get them. I will probably replace some of the plants in there with nicer ones because they aren't doing well since I don't have ferts.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Fluval EBI Pimp #1
Ehfipimp #449
Custom Built PC
Canon Fanboy

- Check out my photos
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well Retired the 20g because the lighting seemed too high, according to the chart in the lighting section. Found a great deal on a 29g (40$) rather than waiting for the petco 1$/gal sale. I filled up the tank yesterday, and the water is still a bit cloudy. The 29g is going to give me much better lighting without so much algae which was forming after such little time of being set up.

Im going to replace the water wisteria on the right with some taller plants , preferably some red tall plants, and then put another tall plant in between the filter and where the water wisteria on the right is now. I am alson going to get a midground plant for the right side of the tank. My blyxa seems to be doing well though. Cant wait for some HC Carpet!!!

Im going to take a video in a little while. My sony nex-3 is marketed as a dslr, but sometimes I feel like its a camcorder, amazing video but I cant seem to get good pics of my aquariums (great daytime/outdoor,and even indoor pics but just not of aquariums)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Heres the latest update on my tank. Added a LOT more FloraMax and started my dutch tank scape. I am very happy about this scape and when It grows in I can tell, it's going to look great

New stocking list:

15 Glo light tetras (like neons but orange striped)
2 Kribs
1 GBR (had him from another tank and I really really like this fish)
3 Angelfish (going into a different 29g soon when I finish finding a piece of driftwood.)
2 Ottos

**This was right after trimming every single plant, so they are really really short.

Soon to add a background to the tank btw....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode