100gal Wild Discus Biotype - Rimless 48x24x20 - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 150 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Hans sells wilds now? I thought he only had the stendker line, ill have to revisit his site, its been a while. Also, discus are indeed notorious for getting spooked and a net can save you money with just a few dollars invested, especially if they are WC. Give them floaters and give them driftwood tannins ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 150 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes, Hans imports from Hudson.

I know discus get spooked, I've just never had a problem with them, or other fish even other wild caught fish. Its definitely something to think about because it CAN happen...but I haven't had it happen in at least 10 years so its not high on the priority list at this point.

-Matt
Check out my
!
post #18 of 150 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Stand is slow being built, been rainy here lately. Hopefully can put in some work tomorrow and Thursday on it. Heres the only update I have. I have 6 of these waiting for the new tank to be setup. They are F1 Mesonauta acora. Very very cool cichlid, great personalities.

-Matt
Check out my
!

post #19 of 150 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Sweet build, and great choice on wild discus instead of the glam varieties. bookmarked.

I tried festivums recently... they were lawnmowers on my prized swords and crypts. had to take them back. Hopefully you'll have better luck with those Mesonauta.
post #20 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Great build so far! Are those acoras aggressive at all like most discus or are they similar to angelfish in behavior. Never seen an acora untill i saw it on your journal. looking for updates.
post #21 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Sweet build, and great choice on wild discus instead of the glam varieties. bookmarked.

I tried festivums recently... they were lawnmowers on my prized swords and crypts. had to take them back. Hopefully you'll have better luck with those Mesonauta.
I should, only plants that would be in this tank would be floaters! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
Great build so far! Are those acoras aggressive at all like most discus or are they similar to angelfish in behavior. Never seen an acora until i saw it on your journal. looking for updates.
Like most discus? Discus are better behaved then angels! haha. They have more inter-species disputes then bothering anything else. I've yet to have a spawn though so they could be a ticking time bomb when the spawn. Right now they don't bother anything and only have minor disputes amongst themselves.

-Matt
Check out my
!
post #22 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
Yah I meant like Africans or angelfish. Wasn't thinking when I wrote that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
post #23 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha, definitely more like Angels then Africans.

-Matt
Check out my
!
post #24 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lack of updates is terrible right? I know, hang with me...I get stuff done when I can...usually in giant spurts.

Look, Santy Claus came! And why yes, that is a mustard colored recliner in the background.

First off let me start by saying THANK YOU to both Discus Hans and Hudson from H&K fish for getting me these AWESOME wilds. I'm still in awe of them and I know that won't go away. True natural beauty. So much more mild mannered then domestics too, very easy to pickup from a bucket and put into the tank...no splashing. Thanks to Hans's great care they went into my tank with 0 problems as smooth or smoother then domestics. If they can only get better then i'm in for a treat, because they already have great color to them....can't wait to see them 6months to a year down the road. I snapped a few pictures of them, first because they are settling in so nice that its not going to stress them further and second because I want to be able to compare day one (for me) to day 100 and whatever. Feast your eyes. I got 4 "Special Red Alenquers" and 4 Alenquer Cuipeua. I can't wait to get them in the new tank they are going to be SMOKIN hot. You can see in the last picture, these are not your average LFS wild discus on the brink of starvation....these are THICK.

And, without further ado....their new home. Still need to skin the stand, I can do that later with them in there as I think I will use magnets to attach each panel. What do you think?? I know some of you are crying on the inside that there will be hardly any green in there. I'm thinking about some Amazon Frogbit for the top and thats about it.

-Matt
Check out my
!
post #25 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

very cool. nice and clean, but will look great when setup fully. ill be watching this one.

btw those discus are great! and your right about the thickness on them! i love seeing healthy fish! great job.

Amy

(Scarlet Badis)
Algae Pimp
post #26 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Absolutely stunning! Wonderful fish!
post #27 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Very clean display. I can see this turning out extremely well. Those fish are by far my favorite Discus. Nice!
post #28 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks all.

By the way, not sure if I mentioned it but the background is 5% window tint from Walmart. So far i'm REALLY liking it. $10, no mess, very easy and easy to remove.

-Matt
Check out my
!
post #29 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Your DIY LED is revolutionary, just awesome. Im not sure if you mentioned this already, but is it connected to a controller for dimming, or is this done manually? Either way its really cool.
post #30 of 150 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Its all manuel. No enough know how to go controller just yet. Heres the controller box.

-Matt
Check out my
!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode