• 2 Post By hivemindhermit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
350.0 Liters / 93.0 US Gallon Planted Tank

ank Size :5.5 feet X 1.5 feet X 1.5 feet
Front and the two sides are ultra-clear glass - 8mm
Back and the bottom is Saint Gobian float glass - 8mm.
The Tank is ready. Did the water testing - it was OK
For filtration I am using 2 housing of Aquaguard pre filters. In one I will have mechanical filters like sponges and synthetic cotton plus plastic scrubbers. In the other I will be using for bio filtration with lava rocks and ceramic rings.
Plumbing done.
The main pump will be Tulu Pump submersible - 45Watt with 1200l/hr and 6m head. Cost Rupees 750/-(11.5 USD)
I will be using another small powerhead packed with lava rocks.

Still undecided about substrate. I will do a planted tank. ADA is very costly. I will need about minimum 6 bags ie Rs 12,000/-(185 USD) - impossible at this moment. Another option is Dirt with gravel. But I am still in doubt how to make dirt. If anyone can help me to prepare cheap dirt and from where can i get it.
My wife has many plants in the roof top. Can I use those soil ?I have got clay from one of my project site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Algae Grower

I just started my first dirted tank and decided to go with a bottom layer of clay-rich soil from my garden, then made my own substrate from a mix of potting mix, composted bark fines and LECA, and capped it with sand. Like I said though, this is my first attempt so I've no idea how it will go. I got most of my information and inspiration from reading about the Walstad method as well as my previous knowledge of biology and gardening (particularly composting).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My DIY Filter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20171117_20_28_37_Pro.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	804642  

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got coco peat for substrate
I would be using a layer of clay at the bottom (2 cm thick). On top of it1" thick coco peat mixed with NPK for initial nutrition followed by 0.5" potting soil. 2 inch 2-3 mm gravel top as a cap.
I want some suggestion on this substrate as this would be my first dirted tank
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhendusc View Post
Got coco peat for substrate
I would be using a layer of clay at the bottom (2 cm thick). On top of it1" thick coco peat mixed with NPK for initial nutrition followed by 0.5" potting soil. 2 inch 2-3 mm gravel top as a cap.
I want some suggestion on this substrate as this would be my first dirted tank
2 cm is a lot of clay, I would probably stick to one. It's an extremely dense substance, after all. I would skip the NPK; potting soil is already fertilised. You want some initial nutrients but not too much. Is coco peat the powdery stuff or do you mean coir (fibres from coconut husks)? I suspect the powdery stuff will quickly become very compact, which means it might end up lacking in oxygen. Fibres might be better, but you have what you have! I would mix the soil and coco peat together, and then cap with no more than 1 inch of gravel.

Also: make sure your potting soil doesn't have wetting agents or anything similar!
subhendusc and subhendusc like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the fibre one , which comes in bricks. I had soaked about 1 kg of it. It absorbed so much water that it would be more than sufficient for 2 aquariums of my size.
Thanks for the valuable advice @hivemindhermit . I will stick to your advice. No NPK will be added . And I will mix both of them.
But will 1 inch gravel be enough for caping?
Some people advised me for 2 inch gravel
Waiting for your reply

Thanks again
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Filling started
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20171122_104808.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	806018  

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I had planted the aquarium approximately 10 days before.

I had waited for 5 days for new leaves to come out from my amazon sword, dwarf grasses started to grow a cm longer, and crypts gave out new leaves. I then did a 50% water change . Waited for another 5 days, did another 50% water change.
And today I had introduced 7 male guppies and a female guppy.
If the female guppy gives birth to new ones, I will remove all the guppies from this tank and then I will introduce tetras and rainbow.
Yes, I do not have any test kits. In fact 15 years back when I joined this hobby, there were no test kits in India (at least I did not know it).
I have three tanks and this will be my fourth. All the tanks are planted. The first tank a 3.0 X 1.5 X 1.5 feet have a gold fish and approx 30 guppies. Yes I lost few fishes in my first tank. Then I learned the harder way. My goldfish tank has annubias nana and amazon sword.
Even today with no test kits, I run my tanks, as I believe its all about nature.
Leaves growing means ammonia is being converted, and nitrate being used up.
Guppies giving birth means that the water condition is good.
This method is a long method of waiting for a month to introduce your choice fish. But then, its my way.
I hope to keep you updated
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Planted.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	808226  

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update

Guppies are well on their third day.

I need to paint my DIY spraybar . Its white in colour and is not looking good. Any special colours?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got two Chinese Algae eater and two Black Mollies to finish the algae.
Plants are pearling.

Transferred the Guppies back to my original guppy tank after 4 days.

Now my tank 350 .0 L (approx 93.0 gallon) has
1. 5 Harlequin Rasbora
2. 4 Serpae Tetras
3. 2 Siamese Algae Eater
4. 3 Black Mollies
5. 6 Penguin Tetras

Will wait for at least 5 days to get new fish.
Next will be
Rainbow

How many more fish can I add?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by subhendusc View Post
Got two Chinese Algae eater and two Black Mollies to finish the algae.
Plants are pearling.

Transferred the Guppies back to my original guppy tank after 4 days.

Now my tank 350 .0 L (approx 93.0 gallon) has
1. 5 Harlequin Rasbora
2. 4 Serpae Tetras
3. 2 Siamese Algae Eater
4. 3 Black Mollies
5. 6 Penguin Tetras

Will wait for at least 5 days to get new fish.
Next will be
Rainbow

How many more fish can I add?
Looks nice!

How many fish you can add is a tricky question to answer. It's not just about numbers, but also how big they get, how they behave and interact, where they hang out, what parameters they prefer and so on.

As it is, you've already added small groups of schooling species (the rasbora and tetras) that are both happier and way more fun to look at in much bigger groups. In a tank as big as that, you could easily keep a huge school of small fish - but that means you have to restrict the number of species you keep, because you can't keep three huge schools!

The siamese algae eaters get BIG - 15 cm - so that's something you need to take into account for the future.

Finally, you haven't said what kind of rainbow you were planning on adding, and I'm by no means an expert on rainbows, but if I recall correctly rainbows tend to want hard, alkaline waters, whereas the tetras and rasbora all want soft, acidic water.

If I were you, I'd slow down on adding more species and think carefully about the composition of your tank. Ideally, you want fish that occupy different levels of your tank - some that hang out at the bottom, some mid column, some at the top. You also want to try to keep fish that like similar parameters, so you don't end up with some of the thriving and some of them just barely hanging on.

Try plugging your ideas into AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor and see what it says. There are no perfect calculators but aqadvisor has most of the common tropical fish species represented and will give you some idea of whether you're on the right track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- ~30G low everything, open top, dirted community aquascape ... thingy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got 12 Cardinal Tetras yesterday.

Cardinals are little soffy. Let's see.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode