10 gallon Guppy Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
10 gallon Guppy Tank

This is going to be an non-selective breeding guppy tank. I don't plan on having any more than 9 adult guppies at once, probably less.

I have a fry tank set up so they can stay there for 2-3 weeks before being sold or given away.

Tank: Standard 10 gallon tank

Lighting: 2 13 watt fluorescents at 6700k.

Filter: Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 (I think) Tetra Whisper 3i (hoping to find a way to turn this into a C02 diffuser. Any ideas)

Substrate: 50% eco complete 25% flourite 25% red gravel

Hardscape: 2 pieces of driftwood

Flora: Blyxa japonica, Rotala indica, Limnophila aromatica

Fauna: 2 male guppies, 2 ottos. (4 female guppies will be added soon. All unwanted fry will go to LFS and SnS

Input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nicest guppy tank ive ever seen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Really interesting choice of substrate. Do the plants grow well in a mix like that? *ideas*
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It was more of a mistake than choice :p

They have grown well in 50/50 flourite/eco mix and a 50/50 eco/gravel mix. So I'm assuming they will be OK in here. Only time will tell I guess.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I agree, definitely one of the nicest breeding tanks i've seen! Much more pleasing to the eye than the floating forest of guppy grass I had in mine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:35 AM
Algae Grower

Seriously, that is a great looking guppy tank =) Mine don't get nearly such a royal treatment.

[
]
15 harlequin rasboras, 4 roseline sharks, 1 neon blue dwarf gourami, 3 clown loach, 1 coolie loach, 12 neon tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 amano shrimp, 8 ghost shrimp, 2 pearl gouramis, 3 siamnesis
[
]
2 green terror cichlids, 1 electric blue jack dempsy
[
]
N+1 red cherry shrimp
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I'm doing it more as a hobby, and a way to give back some to my LFS. They get all my fry for free, and will sell them for about 2.50 each.

If I was doing it for profit they would be in a tank with cheap gravel and plastic plants :P

Thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Great looking breeding tank! I used to trade my baby angels to the LFS for store credit. Typically I used it to buy food.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lovely layout!!
I am amazed at the colors of the plants. What are the red plants? Using any ferts?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind words.

The red plants are Limnophila aromatica. I got a great deal on them in SnS from Scotty he still has a thread up I believe so he may have some left.

They are a red-maroon-light purple depending on the day and how happy they are, hopefully they will turn purple full time when they reach the surface of the water, near the lights.

As far as ferts ~1ml Excel Daily and ~.75ml Flourish Iron every other day. I am looking to go DIY C02 soon, and have just started reading up on that.

Thanks again
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Tetra Whisper 3i (hoping to find a way to turn this into a C02 diffuser. Any ideas)

The design of the 3i, leaves room around the small power head. Take the bottom off or apart. Some use screws, others don't. Drill a 3/16" hole in the bottom of the base. Thread your CO2 line through the hole. Cut off the line, fairly close to the bottom of the assembly. The bubble will get sucked through the power head and chopped by the impeller. Given the location of the filter - noise should be really obnoxious.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Tetra Whisper 3i (hoping to find a way to turn this into a C02 diffuser. Any ideas)

The design of the 3i, leaves room around the small power head. Take the bottom off or apart. Some use screws, others don't. Drill a 3/16" hole in the bottom of the base. Thread your CO2 line through the hole. Cut off the line, fairly close to the bottom of the assembly. The bubble will get sucked through the power head and chopped by the impeller. Given the location of the filter - noise should be really obnoxious.
Great Job , Don !

Is it computerized ? Haha!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

I was very confused by that.

I have this filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode