Progressive 5.5 Build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Progressive 5.5 Build

Well, since winter is coming up here in Canada I'll be spending less time catching fish and more time caring for my own fish. I figured I would document my little 5.5 gallon that I love to just use a tool to try new things out with.

Current Setup:
Standard 5.5 gallon
Tetra Whisper 10 HOB w/ fluval spec intake sponge -- Seachem Matrix & Purigen
Unkown heater, I think its a cheap one - has built in thermostat, keeps the tank right at 78 so I'm happy with it
Fluval dark substrate with osmocote diy tabs (will never use in a small tank again, horrible to plant small delicate plants in)
0.5 bps pressurized CO2 into in tank ceramic diffuser, on 1 hour before lights, off 1 hour before.
EI dosing from an unknown fert. brand
excel dosing + once a week flourish iron
2x13 watt cool white CFL bulbs in diy fixture with horrid reflectors, 6 hour photo period.
50% weekly water change with 80% RO to 20% tap, kH 3-4, gH 7-8, pH 7.6-6.8 variance with CO2.

Current Plants:
staurogyne repens -- (from tissure culture)
alternanthera reineckii mini -- (from tissure culture)
ammania bonsai -- (from tissure culture)
glossostigma elatinoides -- (from tissure culture)
cryptocoryne lutea "hobbit" -- (from tissure culture)
cryptocoryne wendtii "brown"
cryptocoryne parva
rotala rotundifolia
anubias nana "petite"
bucephalandra green velvet
Microsorum pteropus var windelov

Current Stocking:
Orange Pumpkin Shrimp x uncountable
Juvenile boraras brigittae x 8

My plan as of now, being that this tank is for me to experiment with, is to add some of those cheap led floodlights and document progress. I am not happy with the growth of the plants from tissue culture. I think they are a great way to get plants, I just couldn't get them going really well. 1 x 15 watt floodlight did not give me good coverage so i picked up a second. see below for before and after pics.

I will also be doing a weekly photo from the day I set up CO2 so we can see just how much it does for plants. That's all for now, more to come on getting the lights mounted up!

Last edited by Quagulator; 02-23-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Mounted the lights to a simple bracket I made from some spare wood in the garage, no nails or screws, all glued and fairly stable for such a narrow fixture. I still have to center the lights a little better and wire the them in a more safe manner, also will be using some die and clear coat to make the wood match the lights and to help with moisture. The pics don't show how much light there actually is, these things are wayyyy too bright so I'll be keeping an eye out for algae issues.

Last edited by Quagulator; 02-23-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Light finished and mounted. Plants are responding very well. I bumped CO2 to hopefully avoid future algae issues. Fish seemingly are out swimming in the open more often now, not sure if that has anything to do with the light or not.

Last edited by Quagulator; 02-23-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode